locked V2.4.0 and an IC-7300 #Icom

Chris Wren

I recently received an IC-7300 and I am trying to setup an FT8 station to demonstrate ham radio for the Boy Scouts. I have downloaded the WSJT-X v 2.4.0 and loaded it on my Windows 10 laptop and connected the IC-7300 to my laptop via a USB cable.

I have looked at multiple websites showing how to connect the 7300 to WSJT-X, and I am having issues making it work.  Here are my settings in WSJT-X:
  • Rig = IC-7300
  • Serial Port = USB
  • Baud Rate = 115200 (and I have tried 9600)
  • Data Bits = 8
  • Stop bits = 2
  • Handshake = None
  • DTR = [blank]
  • RTS = [blank]
  • PTT Method = CAT
  • Mode = Data/Pkt
  • Split Operation = Rig (and I have tried Fake It)
In the radio, I have left everything to default. I have not made any changes in the rig.

Every time I hit "Test CAT", I get the following error screen:

Rig Failure
Hamlib error: Invalid configuration
network.c(241):network_open return(-2)
iofunc.c(176):port_open return(-2)
rig.c(773):rig_open return(-2) while opening connection to rig

I am at a total loss.  Thank you for your help.

Chris Wren
N4VDR

Bill Somerville

On 25/08/2021 18:39, Chris Wren wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris,

the CAT serial port should be a COM port. The COM port will only appear on your system once the appropriate USB virtual serial port drivers are installed. Detail will be in your rig's manual.

The CAT serial port baud rate must match the setting on the rig. You should disable "CI-V Transceive Mode" on your rig as the default setting of enabled will lead to unreliable CAT control.

You will need to set the DATA MOD source in the rig's menu to the USB connection so that the Tx audio from WSJT-X is routed to the rig in USB-DATA mode.

Ronnie Hull <w5sum@...>

It’s going to be your computers input and output selections. In other words your microphone and speaker selections
I can tell you what mine are but it will make no difference as our computers are different

Ron