locked Adding WSJTX to Mac #macOS #TechnicalHelpQuestion

Mark Finkelstein

I am not very good with computers and am trying to load WSJTX on a MacBook Pro.  I downloaded the file, dragged the icon over and restarted the computer. It seems like the program loaded but I’m getting an error message saying the computer isn’t talking to the radio.

Is there a resource that explains this Mac set up for people that are not so good with computers.

Thanks in advance,
Mark KB2PIZ

Bill Somerville

On 24/08/2021 22:16, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io wrote:
I am not very good with computers and am trying to load WSJTX on a MacBook Pro.  I downloaded the file, dragged the icon over and restarted the computer. It seems like the program loaded but I’m getting an error message saying the computer isn’t talking to the radio.

Is there a resource that explains this Mac set up for people that are not so good with computers.

Thanks in advance,
Mark KB2PIZ
Mark,

if you are getting a rig control error then you must have selected a rig in the WSJT-X preferences. For that to work you must have some connection between your rig and Mac, but you don't tell us anything about that, or indeed what rig you have. Also please include the full text of any rig control message, including the details, with any issue report about rig control?

Mark Finkelstein

Edited

Hi Bill and thank you for your quick reply.

I have a MacBook Air M1 running OS Big Sur 11.5.2. Connected to one of the two USB C ports is a Sabrent USB C Exterior Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. I have cables running from the Sound Card to the REM/Data port on the Lab599 TX 500. I have made sure that mic is to mic and headphone is to headphone.

I am running WSJTX 2.4.0 with radio set as Kenwood TS-480, serial port USB, 9600, 8/1/N PTT is CAT. When I push test CAT I get errors. Pictures attached.

Hope this helps.

I’m running 5 watts on the TX500 through an Elecraft T1 tuner and a home brew rooftop dipole.

Thanks and 73’s,
Mark

On Aug 24, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Mark,

so no CAT interface, set "Preferences->Radio->Rig->None" and "Preferences->Radio->PTT Method->VOX". You will need to enable VOX on your rig if it has that capability, or if it supports a CAT then a suitable interface cable will be needed.

On 24/08/2021 23:19, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io wrote:
[...]

YEAH!!!! It appears to be working!!! Let’s see if I get a ‘QSO! Awesome and thank you so much!

On Aug 24, 2021, at 18:19, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

[...]

<image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg><image2.jpeg><image3.jpeg>

Mark Finkelstein

Well it looks like I am transmitting CQ but there is no band activity showing.  I’m on 7074.0 Digital with power 5 watts and antenna at 1.0 SWR.

Should I be receiving something or is it just slow on the band. I’m in Queens, NY.

Thanks again for your help.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 6:27 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

William Smith

I think that’s backwards, the audio output of your computer (Sabrent ‘headphone’ jack) should go to the audio input of your radio (microphone). And vice versa. And you may need some padding to get the levels right.

When you hit the ‘tune’ button do you get RF power out of your radio?  (And is your clock within a few hundred ms of realtime as measured by https://time.is ?)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 24, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

I have made sure that mic is to mic and headphone is to headphone.

Mark Finkelstein

Ahhhh that’s brilliant!! I’ll try it in a few minutes.  Thank you.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 7:19 PM, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

I think that’s backwards, the audio output of your computer (Sabrent ‘headphone’ jack) should go to the audio input of your radio (microphone). And vice versa. And you may need some padding to get the levels right.

When you hit the ‘tune’ button do you get RF power out of your radio?  (And is your clock within a few hundred ms of realtime as measured by https://time.is ?)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 24, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

I have made sure that mic is to mic and headphone is to headphone.

Mark Finkelstein

Still no luck receiving anything. It looks like it is transmitting but nothing received. I even turned off the transmit to just monitor and still nothing.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 8:24 PM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

Ahhhh that’s brilliant!! I’ll try it in a few minutes.  Thank you.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 7:19 PM, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

I think that’s backwards, the audio output of your computer (Sabrent ‘headphone’ jack) should go to the audio input of your radio (microphone). And vice versa. And you may need some padding to get the levels right.

When you hit the ‘tune’ button do you get RF power out of your radio?  (And is your clock within a few hundred ms of realtime as measured by https://time.is ?)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 24, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

I have made sure that mic is to mic and headphone is to headphone.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...>

Make sure the clock in the computer has an accuracy of +/-1 second or better.  Probably should be using an external time reference.

Bob, K4TAX

On Aug 24, 2021, at 8:55 PM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Melvin

It can’t be clock at this stage - the input graph (bottom left) is not showing anything - no audio is reaching WSJT-X.

Mark - check and double check the audio connections, the ‘Audio’ settings on WSJT-X and the ‘Audio’  settings in the Mac. The input graph should (MUST) show something before you will get a decode.

Tom
GM8MJV

On 25 Aug 2021, at 03:21, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

[...]

I’m not sure how to do that. Perhaps I should reboot the computer and see if that works.

On Aug 24, 2021, at 10:21 PM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok thank you.  There are 3 ports on the Tx500, mic/spkr; rem/data/ and cat.  I have tried all three with no luck.  The radio mode is digital and I am on 7074.

The audio settings on the Mac are

On Aug 25, 2021, at 5:13 AM, Tom Melvin <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

Check with https://time.is

But it also looks like you aren't getting any audio, whcih is a whole nother problem.

If you listen to the radio, can you hear FT8 tones?  Google for examples if you aren't sure what that sounds like...

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 25, 2021, at 7:29 AM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

[...]

From the sound card red (stereo out) to the mic red on the rem/data port.  Green mic in on the sound card to the green head phone on the rem/data port.  Here is what it looks like right now.

Thank you for taking all this time to help me.

[...]

Yes I am getting tones and the software switches to receive mode.

On Aug 25, 2021, at 7:46 AM, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

[...]

Umm, on my Sabrent USB sound cards (and almost every other sound IO device I've seen for computers), RED is microphone input into the computer, and GREEN is audio output from the computer.

And just to confirm, "DIG" on that radio means USB with widest possible filters and processing disabled?

And why are Input and Output set to MacBook Air?  I thought you had a Sabrent USB adapter?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 25, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

From the sound card red (stereo out) to the mic red on the rem/data port.  Green mic in on the sound card to the green head phone on the rem/data port.

Tom Melvin

That’s better from audio point of view - that green bar is a good thing something is being received from radio.

Check time as other have said it takes a 2nd or two - as long as it +-1 second good to go - worry about automatically setting time till later as you will get lots of use this / use that  / this is better - get basic decodes working first.

Tom
GM8MJV

On 25 Aug 2021, at 12:47, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

From the sound card red (stereo out) to the mic red on the rem/data port.  Green mic in on the sound card to the green head phone on the rem/data port.  Here is what it looks like right now.

[...]

Good point!  Let me see why the Sabrent didn’t show up.   Thank you!

On Aug 25, 2021, at 8:10 AM, William Smith <w_smith@...> wrote:

Umm, on my Sabrent USB sound cards (and almost every other sound IO device I've seen for computers), RED is microphone input into the computer, and GREEN is audio output from the computer.

And just to confirm, "DIG" on that radio means USB with widest possible filters and processing disabled?

And why are Input and Output set to MacBook Air?  I thought you had a Sabrent USB adapter?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 25, 2021, at 7:47 AM, Mark Finkelstein via groups.io <mfinkelstein3@...> wrote:

From the sound card red (stereo out) to the mic red on the rem/data port.  Green mic in on the sound card to the green head phone on the rem/data port.