locked "Error in Sound Input" (message box) Circle w/ RED X ---- my WSJT is "BRICKED" #AudioIssues #Windows10 #Elecraft

Alan G4ZFQ

*THE FIX IS IN* !!!   I found a Windows privacy setting changed.
Bill,

Yes this has been known for quite a while.
In fact a week ago someone pointed you to a link describing this and showing how to change it.
So far it has not changed on my system.

Glad you are running again.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill

Edited

RESOLVED: Microsoft  in   their quest for an infinitely configurable machine decided to allow users to mute the microphone on any and ail apps, those designed, and those yet to be designed like WSJT-X,  They grouped LINE IN as a MICROPHONE  under a single mute button.  So, if suddenly your green monitor bar quits showing signal, it could have been muted in the following settings: SYSTEM | PRIVACY | MICROPHONE

Bill

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 02:11 AM, <bill333@...> wrote:
Microsoft in their quest for an infinitely configurable machine decided to allow users to mute the microphone on any and ail apps, those designed, and those yet to be designed like WSJT-X,  They groped LINE IN as a MICROPHONE  under a single mute button.  So, if suddenly your green monitor bar quits showing signal, it could have been muted in the following settings: SYSTEM | PRIVACY | MICROPHONE

Bill

Edited

THE FIX IS IN !!!    Microsoft in their quest for an infinitely configurable machine decided to allow users to mute the microphone on any and ail apps, those designed, and those yet to be designed like WSJT-X,  They groped LINE IN as a MICROPHONE  under a single mute button.  So, if suddenly your green monitor bar quits showing signal, it could have been muted in the following settings: SYSTEM | PRIVACY | MICROPHONE

Dave Garber <ve3wej@...>

try reloading the sound drivers, and this error i dont believe has anything at all to do with CAT control

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, Sep 5, 2021 at 2:39 AM <bill333@...> wrote:
Thanks:  To All who have Helped
Understand that I have my computer stripped down to the most basic form, and able to successfully decode SAMPLE .wav files,  just as if I had no radio and wanted to experience WSJT-X.  There is no radio or cables connected and I have gone so far as to removing all Sound Card Drivers (Device Manager shows empty) and  SETTINGS: RADIO = NONE.  Yet when I touch MONITOR,  I Get the Error.

Further note, that my office computer,  6ft away, is a mirror hardware copy, and configured the identical way with WSJT-X , Yet  i get no error when I touch MONITOR.

I can only assume problem is within the computer.  Yes I have reloaded Windows 10.  It is further noted that I have been using FT-8 for a year with this rig, when suddenly it quit.

To prove my diagnosis....... I have ordered a longer CAT cable that will reach my office computer as well as new audio cables.   If this don't work I might want to change my brand of cologne.
Bill

Alan G4ZFQ

I now have no working sound devices is this here (my office) computer, and I get no error when I tap MONITION button, *so WSJT does not need a sound device to work* in stripped down mode to demo decode of sample files.
Bill,

No, I agree to that.
Out of interest I installed 2.40 on a W10 64 bit with the sound disabled.
Only on the very first startup did I get "Invalid Sound..." Then no warnings until I went to F2 - setup audio. Then after looking at the drop-down I could not exit without the message.

If you want to run WSJT-X with a radio you need a functioning sound device.
As I suggested try a USB device.
Your on-board may be faulty, or have the wrong driver. This may or may not be recoverable. It will not matter if you simply ignore it, preferably disable it.
I am wary of any two "identical" computers, are they truly physically identical? Are the drivers, DLLs, installed runtimes etc, multitude of settings identical?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

William Smith

OK, read the entire messsge thread.

Did you try the full power cycle I suggested, and did it help?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 5, 2021, at 9:17 PM, bill333@... wrote:

I know you all are trying to be helpful but things are getting redundant. Please read this entire string before posting your suggestions. My next step is to try a different computer.

Bill

I know you all are trying to be helpful but things are getting redundant.   Please read this entire string before posting your suggestions.   My next step is to try a different computer.

William Smith

One thing that I find (sometimes) works when nothing else does:

1) Power off the computer
2) Unplug the power cord
3) Press the power button for 10 seconds by your watch.
4) Plug the power cord back in.
5) Power the computer up.

[Yeah, doesn’t work on laptops unless they have removable batteries.]

Worth a try, and easy to do.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Sep 5, 2021, at 7:55 PM, bill333@... wrote:

That being said, i think something is broke in the computer box

Bill

Alan,
I now have no working sound devices is this here (my office) computer, and I get no error when I tap MONITION button, so WSJT does not need a sound device to work in stripped down mode to demo decode of sample files.  I see no sound device in the Device manager,  BECAUSE I DELETED THEN  ALL

Phil,
See post above, to Alan: There is no sound device, that includes USB.  Be mindful that it is my Radio Computer that has the Error, even in stripped down mode just like my office computer that i am typing on now;  It has no Error and is Identical stripped down hardware.
__________________
As I mentioned, several posts above, I ordered longer cables to substitute (this) my identical office computer.  I expect it to immediately start decoding live FT-8 from my radio.  That being said, i think something is broke in the computer box,

Phil Davidson

You don't mention Windows updates. Issues often occur after updates that 'decide' what the correct usb allocations should be.

On Sun, 5 Sep 2021, 07:39 , <bill333@...> wrote:
[...]

Of course you will get an error!
With no working soundcard WSJT-X can not work.
You need a properly working sound device.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill

[...]

I find that W10 only gets confused if you move USB cables around. I tend to keep my cables connected. HF Rig and USB hub in the back of the PC. Keyboard, webcam/microphone, mouse and VHF rig programming cable in the hub.

I made the mistake of unplugging them while I tidied the desk wiring to remove unnecessary walwart cables adding 100 Hz crosstalk to the rig DC cables. That’s the only time I’ve had to rename the USB Audio codecs for the rig. Also I think the rig has its serial number encoded in the USB interface.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows