Delayed tone transmission #NewUser #IssueReport #txaudio #Yaesu #Windows10

Chuck Moore <wd4hxg@...>

Have had WSJT-X set up for about three weeks, During that time when the system
would transmit the radio would change to transmit mode and within a couple of
tenths of a second the tones could be heard through the monitor port on the
radio. In the last few days that behavior changed, Now the radio changes to
transmit mode but the tones are not being heard until 2 - 3 seconds into the
shift of the radio to transmit mode.

As far as contacts being successful , they still occur but retries seem to have
increased.

The equipment line-up is:
Desktop PC running WSJT-X
Computer OS: Windows 10 Pro
Mode: FT-8 only, to date
Interface: SCU-17 with Yaesu cabling between radio and audio packet port on rear of radio.
_______: Generic RS-232 cable between rear of radio and SCU-17.
_______: Generic USB Cable from SCU-17 to Desktop (Intel i9-9900)
Radio: FTdx-5000 in USB mode - computer audio output level adjusted to just below ALC indication threshold.
Antenna: Horizontal Loop suspended from trees in yard, fed with 450 Ohm ladder line and interfaced
to radio via Johnson Matchbox.

Checks for RF in shack revealed no issues.

Switching out the desktop with a Dell laptop running Win 10 Pro with a recent install of WSJT-X
does not exhibit the same delay.  Tried, "Uninstalling"  and then re-installing the software but
no joy.

I remember seeing a message in the past week or so from another op experiencing the same
issue, but I do not recall seeing anything about him finding a resolution.

Am I overlooking a setting in WSJT-X?

Regards

Chuck WD4HXG

Michael Black

Same version of WSJT-X on both I assume?

Check File/Settings/Advanced/Tx delay

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, August 20, 2021, 07:42:42 AM CDT, Chuck Moore via groups.io <wd4hxg@...> wrote:

[...]

I forgot to include I am using version 2.4 of the software.

On Aug 20, 2021, at 8:47 AM, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

Martin G0HDB

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 01:42 PM, Chuck Moore wrote:
Have had WSJT-X set up for about three weeks, During that time when the system
would transmit the radio would change to transmit mode and within a couple of
tenths of a second the tones could be heard through the monitor port on the
radio. In the last few days that behavior changed, Now the radio changes to
transmit mode but the tones are not being heard until 2 - 3 seconds into the
shift of the radio to transmit mode.
Chuck:

You haven't indicated in your posting if you're using one of WSJT-X's split modes, but if you are using CAT control and have selected the 'Rig' split option then I'd suggest trying the 'Fake It' option and seeing if that makes any difference.

I used to find, with the various Icom rigs I'd used over a period of years, that the 'Rig' split option did seem to take significantly longer to switch VFOs and then begin transmitting; these days I use only the 'Fake It' option for split.  It's perhaps conceivable that if you're using the 'Rig' split option it's taking a while for the rig to switch from one VFO to the other and that the WSJT-X software is then waiting for an acknowledgement of the changeover and confirmation of the new Tx frequency before starting to generate the audio tones.

You might also want to try either installing one of the release-candidate versions of v2.5.0 of WSJT-X or reverting back to v2.3.1 and seeing if either of those make a difference.

--
Martin G0HDB