locked Off frequency signals #modes

George Weller KD9PCN

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?

Bill, WB6JJJ

You didn’t state which frequency. If it was 14.070 or 14.090 then it may have been FT8 in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:28 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency. Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB. There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area. I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8. Anyone know what this is?

robert kupps

Hi George, 14 .070 used to be a PSK 31/64 watering hole.

You might want to check out this site for sounds and visuals of other digital modes:

 Robert
W6INO
On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Bill, WB6JJJ <bill@...> wrote:

You didn’t state which frequency.  If it was 14.070 or 14.090 then it may have been FT8 in Fox/Hound mode.
Bill
WB6JJJ

On Aug 19, 2021, at 10:28 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?

W6INO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
 So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 -Mark  Twain

Reino Talarmo

While operating FT8 on 20m recently, I've noticed activity below the tuned frequency.  Timing and appearance on the waterfall make it look like someone was operating FT8 on LSB instead of USB.  There appear to be no FT4 or js8call frequencies in that area.  I've tried tuning to that area, but these signals won't decode as FT8.  Anyone know what this is?

Hi George,

There is minor possibility that those are the lower sideband of a simple double sideband transmitter. You could try to decode those using LSB in your rig.
73, Reino OH3mA

It’s still supposed to be. I’ve had the occasional PSK31 QSO on this frequency. More interesting than the wham bam thank you ma’am FT8 QSO’s. That said I had a ten second CW QSO the other day-

CQ <call> GM3ZZA KN GM3ZZA 599 599 SK. It was a German special event station. Less information than you get on FT8.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

George Weller KD9PCN

Thanks for the replies, all.  I was operating FT8 on the wsjt-x standard frequency, 14.074, and I'm  aware that 14.0715 is a standard PSK slot (indeed there was one PSK station in the mix).  I often do PSK there.  But PSK timing doesn't follow the :00, :015, 0:30 etc timing of FT8.  The funny stuff I was seeing did.  Theories about sidebands etc. don't explain why there were several stripes in the waterfall (one station maybe, but...).  Anyway, it only happens occasionally, and causes no real trouble.  But I'd love to know...  73, KD9PCN