Interesting problem this afternoon #AudioIssues

Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.
--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill Somerville

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:
Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.
-- 73 Phil GM3ZZA
Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

Bill,

Disc access was maxed out according to task manager. Normally after a while, when the disc access comes back down to quite low levels, then every thing works OK, the decode at 11 s takes less than a second normally.

On transmit, WSJT-X appears to stop as no audio is being sent to the rig, which is also stuck on transmit until WSJT-X starts again.

The CPU is a Core i3 7th Gen according to the label on  the box. I don’t know how many CPUs it has but it seems to be quicker than my laptop which is an i3 8th Gen. It’s sleeping at the moment so can’t get more info.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

> Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

> Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.

> -- 73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when

it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application

continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy

that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to

assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC

is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower

performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU

bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high

loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill Somerville

Hi Phil,

very high disk activity coinciding with poor system performance might indicate exhausted free physical memory. Try using the Windows Resource Monitor that is launched form Task Manager to check for excessive memory hard page faults. If so then track down the process that is using all the free memory.

On 17/08/2021 17:14, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

Disc access was maxed out according to task manager. Normally after a while, when the disc access comes back down to quite low levels, then every thing works OK, the decode at 11 s takes less than a second normally.

On transmit, WSJT-X appears to stop as no audio is being sent to the rig, which is also stuck on transmit until WSJT-X starts again.

The CPU is a Core i3 7th Gen according to the label on  the box. I don’t know how many CPUs it has but it seems to be quicker than my laptop which is an i3 8th Gen. It’s sleeping at the moment so can’t get more info.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

> Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

> Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.

> -- 73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when

it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application

continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy

that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to

assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC

is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower

performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU

bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high

loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

John Korpal

If you setup windows to schedule it’s update when you are not operating. Second you can stop the automatic update when you are operating.

On Aug 17, 2021, at 10:28 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Hi Phil,

very high disk activity coinciding with poor system performance might indicate exhausted free physical memory. Try using the Windows Resource Monitor that is launched form Task Manager to check for excessive memory hard page faults. If so then track down the process that is using all the free memory.

On 17/08/2021 17:14, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

Bill,

Disc access was maxed out according to task manager. Normally after a while, when the disc access comes back down to quite low levels, then every thing works OK, the decode at 11 s takes less than a second normally.

On transmit, WSJT-X appears to stop as no audio is being sent to the rig, which is also stuck on transmit until WSJT-X starts again.

The CPU is a Core i3 7th Gen according to the label on  the box. I don’t know how many CPUs it has but it seems to be quicker than my laptop which is an i3 8th Gen. It’s sleeping at the moment so can’t get more info.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

> Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

> Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.

> -- 73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when

it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application

continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy

that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to

assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC

is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower

performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU

bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high

loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bill,

Yes, I’ve seen that problem with excessive page swapping before after a W10 update that suddenly made all the Windows stuff overtake my laptop’s 4 GB RAM. Task Manager reported about 85% Memory utilisation. Adding another 4GB fixed that problem. On my shack desktop I also have 8 GB and Task manager is reporting just over 50% memory usage.

No it definitely looks like Windows update procedures are causing it. I’m not going to switch the machine off, just put it to sleep, for a while now. If it happens while I’m in this mode then obviously it needs looking beyond that. I might have to turn off AVG (paid for) protection and reinstate Windows virus protection to stop the Windows updates conflicting with AVG I’ve also got a home cloud application that checks whether files (only important data) have been updated and copies them to a home cloud device. So I have a lot of apps competing for disk accesses at start up. When WSJT-X stopped in receive it was always at 11 s into the period, I presume when it’s about to decode the saved audio.

It’s a Dell desktop, so I don’t know if I can swap the HDD for a SSD. I feel that SSD are less reliable – I know they were and I understand their failure modes, which I don’t with HDD.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

> Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

> Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.

> -- 73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when

it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application

continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy

that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to

assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC

is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower

performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU

bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high

loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi John,

It starts the update when I turn the PC on. I only turn the PC on when I am operating. Having a computer on when it’s not being used wastes energy and cost money.

73 Phil.

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 17/08/2021 16:04, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

> Interesting little problem this afternoon. A couple of times WSJT-X would stop. The timer bar would not move. Eventually tracked it to the Windows update making excessive use of the disk. When it stops during receive, when it restarted it successfully decoded two receive periods, so the audio must have been buffered somewhere. It wasn't displaye on the waterfall though.When it stopped in transmit, the rig would stick in TX, but no audio gets sent to the rig.

> Is there anyway I can up the priority of WSJT-X (and flrig) otherwise it's time wasted when I can't use WSJT-X after powering on the PC.

> -- 73 Phil GM3ZZA

Hi Phil,

if you see WSJT-X stalling and multiple periods of decodes appear when

it unfreezes then it is reasonable to assume that the application

continued and just the screen stopped updating. If your PC is so busy

that it cannot keep up with video updates then it is unreasonable to

assume that it can run WSJT-X reliably. You need to find out why your PC

is loaded so heavily during Windows updates. If the CPU is lower

performance one, then it may be that it is not reasonable to expect CPU

bound applications like WSJT-X decoding to work reliably under high

loads from other applications. What CPU does your PC have?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

WB5JJJ - George

Phil, you have described your problem spot on.  Plus if an update is happening and you turn the PC off, many have to start all over again.

Windows updates are DESIGNED to be run when the PC is not in use as times to do this can be selected, such as overnight.

Most Windows updates are massive CPU/RAM hogs when running.  For the little power an idle PC consumes, it is by far better to let the PC run 24/7, or at least one overnight a week, so the updates happen when you are not wanting to use it.

If you still want to turn it off, you will have to live with this problem no matter how fast your CPU or amount of RAM you have installed.  Or you could just turn the PC on a couple hours before you want to use it so the updates can be done before you need to use it.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

Stephen Smith

Phil, I had this same problem about two months ago.  My laptop is an i5 with 12GB of RAM which is plenty or horsepower to run lots of apps at the same time without issue.....UNLESS a windows update starts.  My symptoms were almost identical to yours.  I migrated from an HDD to an SDD and it has made more of a difference than I could have imagined.  The I/O bottleneck was the entire problem.  I haven't had a single issue since.  While this really helped out my laptop, I realize that you likely don't have a slot in your desktop for an SDD, so I don't how much this really helps you out other than to confirm that the I/O throughput limitations were what was keeping my machine from running smoothly.
Thanks, Stephen - KY4G

Bob Lewis

With W10 you can configure updates to notify you when they are ready to install, but not install until you give the okay. If updates are pending install then when you shut down, then you have the option of installing the updates and then shut down. You never want to have an update install while any program (wsjt-x or anything else) is running. Maybe that’s why so many people complain about Windows updates causing problems with their computer? I install updates when it is convenient for me after I have closed all programs and I have never experienced any computer issues after an update. I turn my computer on in the morning and shut it down before bedtime. That gives me a fresh boot every day and it cuts down operating hours on mechanical things like fans.

[...]

Jim Nuytens

Phil,

So many issues to address here. My comments interspersed:

On 8/17/2021 21:35, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:

No it definitely looks like Windows update procedures are causing it. I’m not going to switch the machine off, just put it to sleep, for a while now. If it happens while I’m in this mode then obviously it needs looking beyond that.

If you only turn on the machine to operate, you likely have so many Windows updates pending it's a nightmare. If you right-click on the Windows icon in the lower right corner, then select System from the pop-up menu, what version of Windows are you currently running? If it doesn't start with the number 2, you are way out of date. You really need to let the machine catch up, or this problem will never end.

I might have to turn off AVG (paid for) protection and reinstate Windows virus protection to stop the Windows updates conflicting with AVG

Removing AVG would be a good start. I haven't used it since I went to W10. The built-in AV works very well and you'll free up resources.

It’s a Dell desktop, so I don’t know if I can swap the HDD for a SSD. I feel that SSD are less reliable – I know they were and I understand their failure modes, which I don’t with HDD.

This is 2021, not 2006. SSDs are quite reliable. I don't build a machine these days without using an SSD. It's roughly a 3-3.5x speed difference, going from HDD to SSD.

A 7th or 8th Gen machine has a SATA-based HDD. Swapping out to a SATA-based SSD is trivial. You will need a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter plate to make it fit into the spot the current HDD is in. You can clone the HDD to the SSD, or do a fresh Windows install.

Jim

Thanks Bob,

I went to Settings->Windows Updates and couldn’t find that as an option. I saw that restarts can be deferred, and Windows tries not to restart during your operating hours. I’m running with the latest 20H2 version.

I suppose the answer is to turn the PC on 30 minutes before wanting to use it.

73 Phil

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

This is how mine is set: Go to Windows Update.

   Active Hours = 8AM to 8PM  (it will download updates any time but will not install them during active hours. These are the hours that I may be using the computer and don’t want to be interrupted with updates.

Go to Advanced Options.

   OFF – Receive updates for other Microsoft Products.

   OFF – Download over metered connections.

   OFF – Restart as soon as possible. (this prevents a restart until you give your permission)

   ON  - Update Notifications. (this sends you an update available notification during active hours, giving you the option to restart now, or at some specified time. It also gives you two options under the shut-down menu, “Update and restart” and “Update and shut down”.

[...]

Andy TALBOT

SNAP!   I did exactly the same, and it speeded up this machine quite a bit.    It is easier to remove AVG than it once was, but it still a long winded procedure - but at least you only do it once.

Sorry,Andy

you did exactly what? I've gone to the groups.io web site but I can't find what your e-mail is linked to. Nor can I link to your e-mail.

Phil.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Thanks Jim,

Your contrbution wasn't delivered to my e-mail. I nearly turfed out AVG on the last demand for money. But i bottled it as I didn't want to be left out of cover for that amount of time to turn off AVG and turn windows back on.

Using an adapter plate does NOT sound trivial. Can you provide a link to show that it is? Where would I get one from? And what are the units you quote 3.5 to 2.5 what? cm or mm or what?

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Andy TALBOT

I deleted AVG completely and got an appreciable increase in performance with WIn10

That's the trouble with replying to posts when you take digests rather than individual emails.   Replying doesn't appear to allow the previous text to appear to be quoted

--

Jim Shorney

Here's one I bought for my big box. Holds one or two 2.5" SSDs in the space of one 3.5" HDD. Newegg also runs specials on SSDs from time to time. You can get a terabyte for around 100 bucks or less. Stick to a name brand. I've had good WD blue but they have had some deals on Samsung lately.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cssd-brkt2-2-x-2-5-drive-to-3-5-bay/p/N82E16817979019?Item=9SIAFJ8A0T4335

73

-Jim
NU0C