#WSJTX_config / IC-7610 / Operating Rig=Split with different filters on each band. #WSJTX_config

Bob Turner

I’ve been using WSJTx for almost a year now. I started with the IC-7300 and switched to the IC-7610 about 4 months ago.  I never paid attentions to filters until now.  I was hoping to run Fil1 / Wide on left RX bank of rig for a wider decode window.  If I set left/RX side of rig on Wide/Fil1 and right/TX side of rig to Med/Fil2 (it goes to that anyway) I get wider decodes across the audio band and I clearly see my number of decodes on each interval significantly increase.  The problem is as soon as WSJTx goes into TX it sets the left filter at Med/Fil2 to match the right TX side of rig and the number of decodes drop.

I am using WSJTX Rig=Split.  I am using OmniRig1, and Win4ICOM so they are some additional variables.  I tested with WSJTx and Hamlib only.  While the test results differ slightly I still can’t get It to do Fil1 on left and Fil2 on right.

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Bill Somerville

On 15/08/2021 22:49, Bob Turner wrote:

I’ve been using WSJTx for almost a year now. I started with the IC-7300 and switched to the IC-7610 about 4 months ago.  I never paid attentions to filters until now.  I was hoping to run Fil1 / Wide on left RX bank of rig for a wider decode window.  If I set left/RX side of rig on Wide/Fil1 and right/TX side of rig to Med/Fil2 (it goes to that anyway) I get wider decodes across the audio band and I clearly see my number of decodes on each interval significantly increase.  The problem is as soon as WSJTx goes into TX it sets the left filter at Med/Fil2 to match the right TX side of rig and the number of decodes drop.

I am using WSJTX Rig=Split.  I am using OmniRig1, and Win4ICOM so they are some additional variables.  I tested with WSJTx and Hamlib only.  While the test results differ slightly I still can’t get It to do Fil1 on left and Fil2 on right.

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

what are you hoping to achieve by selecting a particular Rx bandwidth on the Tx VFO?

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Black

Due toasty I deficiency in setting the filter your only choice is to use mode=None and set it yourself.

This problem has been reported to Icom but I’m batting about .250 getting them to make improvements.

On Aug 15, 2021, at 5:01 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

what are you hoping to achieve by selecting a particular Rx bandwidth on the Tx VFO?

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

It’s the RX filter on the RX side of the rig I want wide as that allows for more decodes.  TX on the TX side being mid/fil2 is fine.  Decodes about double per cycle when filter is wide.  Upon first TX filter goes Mid/Fil2  and cuts out lower and upper audio pass band.  Decodes drop off.

7 3  Bob

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Somerville
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2021 6:01 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #WSJTX_config / IC-7610 / Operating Rig=Split with different filters on each band.

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bill Somerville

Hi Bob,

I believe  the filters are user customizable, why not adjust FIL2 to the widest bandwidth?

Bill
G4WJS.

On 16/08/2021 14:05, Bob Turner wrote:

It’s the RX filter on the RX side of the rig I want wide as that allows for more decodes.  TX on the TX side being mid/fil2 is fine.  Decodes about double per cycle when filter is wide.  Upon first TX filter goes Mid/Fil2  and cuts out lower and upper audio pass band.  Decodes drop off.

7 3  Bob

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bill Somerville
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #WSJTX_config / IC-7610 / Operating Rig=Split with different filters on each band.

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

I see a toasty typo I there.  However, I get the idea this is a bug/defect that needs Icom’s attention.  That is good news as I wanted to make sure problem was not something I’m doing.

I had considered setting split=none and manually setting frequency.  I’ve held off trying that as I don’t want to do the manual freq calc for “fake-it” for each contact.  Perhaps I’ll try it anyway and just keep my TX freq on upper half of the passband.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Black via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2021 6:21 PM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io

Due toasty I deficiency in setting the filter your only choice is to use mode=None and set it yourself.

This problem has been reported to Icom but I’m batting about .250 getting them to make improvements.

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bill Somerville

Hi Bob,

you will find it hard to manually emulate split operating as both the Tx VFO dial frequency and the audio tone frequency need adjusting.

If you want WSJT-X to leave the filter settings alone you can check the "Settings->Radio->Mode->None" option. You will have to set the rig mode manually.

It seems to me that, with a rig like the IC-7610 that has independent receivers, using SPLIT mode on the rig is not optimal. Why not use "Fake It" mode and leave the second receiver free for listening around?

Bill
G4WJS.

On 16/08/2021 14:18, Bob Turner wrote:

I see a toasty typo I there.  However, I get the idea this is a bug/defect that needs Icom’s attention.  That is good news as I wanted to make sure problem was not something I’m doing.

I had considered setting split=none and manually setting frequency.  I’ve held off trying that as I don’t want to do the manual freq calc for “fake-it” for each contact.  Perhaps I’ll try it anyway and just keep my TX freq on upper half of the passband.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael Black via groups.io

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

That sounds like a workaround.  But then I’ll be TX wide and increase the odds of spatter images up the passband.  Sounds like I have three choices.

1)      Live with it and only work stations in the middle of the passband.

2)      Set split=none and try to keep my TX in upper half of passband.  I doubt I’ll be doing the “fake-it” calcs and manually moving my TX accordingly.

3)      Set Fil2 to wide and increase the odds of splatter images in the passband.

Since I run zero ALC indication, I assume the chances of me spattering are minimal.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:07 AM

Hi Bob,

I believe  the filters are user customizable, why not adjust FIL2 to the widest bandwidth?

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

I used to leave 2nd RX free by using fake-it.  Then I found out I can’t do a memory scan on 2nd RX so no real benefit to me.  I found other limitations which I now forget.  It’s now obvious to me that having two separate RX is not the same as having two separate rigs.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:31 AM

Hi Bob,

you will find it hard to manually emulate split operating as both the Tx VFO dial frequency and the audio tone frequency need adjusting.

If you want WSJT-X to leave the filter settings alone you can check the "Settings->Radio->Mode->None" option. You will have to set the rig mode manually.

It seems to me that, with a rig like the IC-7610 that has independent receivers, using SPLIT mode on the rig is not optimal. Why not use "Fake It" mode and leave the second receiver free for listening around?

Bill

G4WJS.

On 16/08/2021 14:18, Bob Turner wrote:

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bill Somerville

Hi Bob,

you seem to be under the impression the the Rx filter settings have some effect on the Tx filter settings, that's not correct.

Bill
G4WJS.

On 16/08/2021 14:31, Bob Turner wrote:

That sounds like a workaround.  But then I’ll be TX wide and increase the odds of spatter images up the passband.  Sounds like I have three choices.

2)      Set split=none and try to keep my TX in upper half of passband.  I doubt I’ll be doing the “fake-it” calcs and manually moving my TX accordingly.

3)      Set Fil2 to wide and increase the odds of splatter images in the passband.

Since I run zero ALC indication, I assume the chances of me spattering are minimal.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

Wrong assumption.

I want to wide RX on one side of rig, and let it do mid TX on other side of rig.  I can manually set filters that way.  Upon first TX with rig control and rig=split it changes the RX filter to mid.

I would also be fine using one side or rig on TX and RX.  If I could wide RX and mid TX.  It would need to switch filters every time it goes from TX to RX.

I want Wide RX and it can do whatever it wants for TX which is Mid TX which itself is fine.  But then it leaves RX on mid, not wide.

7 3  Bob

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:43 AM

Hi Bob,

you seem to be under the impression the the Rx filter settings have some effect on the Tx filter settings, that's not correct.

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Black

If you're running zero ALC then you won't be generating any harmonics.

My notes from another user
IC7610 MOD INPUT LEVEL 11% with 50W on rig gives 42W

Should be about what you see.

So you can use rig split and just set your filter for 3KHz or more and you'll be fine.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 08:32:03 AM CDT, Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

Not fine.  I won’t stay on Wide.  That is the problem.

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:54 AM

So you can use rig split and just set your filter for 3KHz or more and you'll be fine.

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 08:32:03 AM CDT, Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Black

What's the problem with wide?  You would be the only person with such a problem....

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 08:56:13 AM CDT, Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:

Mike W9MDB

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

Wide is no problem, but it won’t stay on wide, it goes mid.  When it goes mid on RX I don’t get decodes across the entire passband.  Upper and lower passband decodes are not heard and won’t be decoded.  The number of decodes per cycle drops by about 50%.

7 3 Bob

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 9:59 AM

What's the problem with wide?  You would be the only person with such a problem....

Mike W9MDB

On Monday, August 16, 2021, 08:56:13 AM CDT, Bob Turner <n2scj-lists@...> wrote:

Mike W9MDB

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

Bob Turner

No.  I am working with one of the developers.  He may be onto something.

It acts like software is setting fil2 for TX, but setting it on my RX as well.  After TX stops filter ends up being changed from fil1 to fil2 which makes me not hear bottom and top of passband.

Bob

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Adrian Fewster
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 10:40 AM

Have you tried HRD or FLrig as a go between in rig selection to see if that helps ?

vk4tux

Hi Bob,

On the iC-7300, FIL1 etc are only used in the RX path. The TX path has a fixed width filter. I assume the same is true for IC-7610.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: 16 August 2021 14:52

Wrong assumption.

I want to wide RX on one side of rig, and let it do mid TX on other side of rig.  I can manually set filters that way.  Upon first TX with rig control and rig=split it changes the RX filter to mid.

I would also be fine using one side or rig on TX and RX.  If I could wide RX and mid TX.  It would need to switch filters every time it goes from TX to RX.

I want Wide RX and it can do whatever it wants for TX which is Mid TX which itself is fine.  But then it leaves RX on mid, not wide.

7 3  Bob

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bob Turner

Dev says I need to update firmware.  Checking…

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Rose via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 11:34 AM

Hi Bob,

On the iC-7300, FIL1 etc are only used in the RX path. The TX path has a fixed width filter. I assume the same is true for IC-7610.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Wrong assumption.

7 3  Bob

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bob Turner

False alarm on fw.  Dev will be calling me.  Thanks for the suggestion.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Turner
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 11:36 AM

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Philip Rose via groups.io

Hi Bob,

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Wrong assumption.

7 3  Bob

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Bob Turner

Guys,

I appreciate all the comments.  I am being assisted by one of the developers off line.   Rather than individual replies, I’ll provide an update when this is all over.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io [mailto:main@WSJTX.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Turner
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 11:45 AM

False alarm on fw.  Dev will be calling me.  Thanks for the suggestion.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2021 11:36 AM

Hi Bob,

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Wrong assumption.

7 3  Bob

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

7 3  Bob

Any ideas?

7 3  Bob

N2SCJ

Hi Bob,

Bill
G4WJS.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA