using the signalink with IC-7000 #signalink #Icom

VK3SQ - Geoff

Greeting, I'm a newby using the FT-8 mode. Looking for any advice about setting up a IC-7000 with the signalink interface.
Many thanks in advance.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Bill Somerville

On 12/08/2021 07:34, VK3SQ - Geoff wrote:
Greeting, I'm a newby using the FT-8 mode. Looking for any advice about setting up a IC-7000 with the signalink interface.
Many thanks in advance.

73 de Geoff vk3sq
Hi Geoff,

you don't tell us about any error messages, so what is not working?

The usual problem with first time SignaLink USB users is they do not realize that this interface is not a CAT interface, it just connects audio between rig and PC as well as generating a hardwired PT when Tx audio is detected. In WSJT-X you need the default radio settings "Settings->Radio->Rig->None" and "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->VOX".

If you want CAT control, which is desirable, then you need a second connection to the rig with a CI-V CAT interface.

heath calhoun - kb5vai <hcalhoun@...>

DO NOT USE VOX.
ic700 has a data port. need to use it.

On 12/08/2021 07:34, VK3SQ - Geoff wrote:
> Greeting, I'm a newby using the FT-8 mode. Looking for any advice
> about setting up a IC-7000 with the signalink interface.
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> 73 de Geoff vk3sq

Hi Geoff,

you don't tell us about any error messages, so what is not working?

The usual problem with first time SignaLink USB users is they do not
realize that this interface is not a CAT interface, it just connects
audio between rig and PC as well as generating a hardwired PT when Tx
audio is detected. In WSJT-X you need the default radio settings
"Settings->Radio->Rig->None" and "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->VOX".

If you want CAT control, which is desirable, then you need a second
connection to the rig with a CI-V CAT interface.

Heath,

I think you have misunderstood my reply to Geoff. I said set VOX as the PTT Method in WSJT-X, this is the correct setting for using a SignaLink USB with any rig if there is no CAT control available.

On 12/08/2021 09:20, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
[...]

thats the drawback to signalink.
vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
better yet a icom civ cable that radio supports.

I think you have misunderstood my reply to Geoff. I said set VOX as the
PTT Method in WSJT-X, this is the correct setting for using a SignaLink
USB with any rig if there is no CAT control available.

On 12/08/2021 09:20, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
> DO NOT USE VOX.
> ic700 has a data port. need to use it.

Bill Somerville

Heath,

clearly you have no understanding of how the SignaLink USB interface works. I suggest you do some research before offering advice!

On 12/08/2021 09:35, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
thats the drawback to signalink.
vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
better yet a icom civ cable that radio supports.

clearly you have no understanding of how the SignaLink USB interface
works. I suggest you do some research before offering advice!

On 12/08/2021 09:35, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
> thats the drawback to signalink.
> vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
> better yet a icom civ cable that radio supports.

Bill Somerville

Heath,

such abuse is not welcome here, you are banned from this group.

On 12/08/2021 09:49, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
up yours.

clearly you have no understanding of how the SignaLink USB interface
works. I suggest you do some research before offering advice!

On 12/08/2021 09:35, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
> thats the drawback to signalink.
> vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
> better yet a icom civ cable that radio supports.

neil_zampella

How rude ...

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/12/2021 3:49 AM, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
up yours.

clearly you have no understanding of how the SignaLink USB interface
works. I suggest you do some research before offering advice!

On 12/08/2021 09:35, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
> thats the drawback to signalink.
> vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
> better yet a icom civ cable that radio supports.

Jim Brown

On 8/12/2021 1:35 AM, heath calhoun - kb5vai wrote:
vox picks up so much sound that can be heard in backgroun.
NO! That would only happen if the rig is set to take input from a microphone! Has nothing to do with VOX, everything to do with operator error.

73, Jim K9YC

Dave Garber

And we are refering to vox set in wsjt. Not Vox on radio