wsjtx with the IC-2730 #Icom

George Weller

wsjt-x shows the IC-2730 as a supported rig.  Looks like it might work with just CI-V (no Signalink).  Has anyone tried this?  73, KD9PCN

Bill Somerville

On 10/08/2021 17:22, George Weller wrote:
wsjt-x shows the IC-2730 as a supported rig.  Looks like it might work with just CI-V (no Signalink).  Has anyone tried this?  73, KD9PCN
George,

WSJT-X requires an SSB transceiver.

Dave Garber

And also. Ci-v is only for cat.   As far as i know

On Tue., Aug. 10, 2021, 12:33 p.m. Bill Somerville, <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 10/08/2021 17:22, George Weller wrote:
> wsjt-x shows the IC-2730 as a supported rig.  Looks like it might work
> with just CI-V (no Signalink).  Has anyone tried this?  73, KD9PCN

George,

WSJT-X requires an SSB transceiver.

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Just wonder how one plans to get audio into the radio from the computer.    Feeding into the MIC input is asking for issues.  And how does one know with an FM radio they are not hitting the limiting point in FM deviation as there is typically no indication.  Also, the pre-emphasis in the transmit circuit will cause some issues with the transmitted tones. Of course, if the receiving station is using an FM receiver to detect audio, then de-emphasis is applied there.  Otherwise, an SSB receiver will not properly handle the audio.

All summarizes;  "it is not advisable to use FM mode unless one is in a pure FM environment such as going through an analog FM repeater".  I know hams love to experiment.  However, this smells like a "science project" with unknown results that could painfully cause issues.  There are enough "crap" signals on the band today without adding more to the racket.

73
Bob, K4TAX

K3EUI Barry

A few comments:

The ICOM 2730 does NOT (I think) have a DATA port.  It is analog audio only via a MIC jack.
The older model 2720  did have a  6 pin MINI DIN  DATA port - where you could plug in a S-Link.

However, you could use a Rigblaster Advantage on the Icom 2730 and hook that up to the MIC and SPKR ports for digi use.  The radio's MIC plugs into the Rigblaster.  So you get both DATA and PHONE with no wires to mess around plugging and unplugging.

The Rigblaster has its own USB sound card, has a COM port (if needed for PTT) and is designed to connect to any radio's  MIC and SPKR  jacks.  The sound chips are excellent.  You can purchase RADIO  cables to match your particular setup  (8 pin round mic jack or  8 pin modular RJ45 mic jack).  Inside there are "jumpers" just like on a S-Link to fit a particular radio's pin config.

I have a Rigblaster Advantage and it is a well-designed piece of equipment.
I've used it with Icom rigs with no data port  (Icom 2100 and Icom 5100).

WSJT-X  can be used with ANY radio -  it is just sound.
However on a Icom 2720 you are limited to 2m and 70cm FM  (simplex or on repeater).
So you can practice FT8 on a FM repeater if the owner allows that.
But most folks using FT8 or any of the JT modes would more likely be on a  SSB  frequency on 2m.

CI-V  is not audio.  It is a comman port for "Rig Control"  changing frequency, filters, power, modes.
CAT or rig control is certainly not needed on a  2m/70cm  dual-band FM radio.

Does that help?

de  k3eui   Barry
West Chester PA

William Smith

Plus FT8 allows many simultaneous QSOs on SSB, where FM would allow one QSO at a time, subject to the FM capture effect. Not impossible, just not useful. Hook up a TNC if you are doing FM.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 11, 2021, at 10:48 AM, K3EUI Barry <k3euibarry@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

You are very nearly correct.  But the 2730A can accept audio (and CI-V) codes through the second external speaker jack (yes, madness) using a cable supplied by ICOM (software unspecified).  And in an all-FM environment, it could work well.  My local ARES group has a local network using all FM, and Yaesu radios, with Signalinks and TNC's usually, tho some are trying software TNCs.  This is the environment I think the 2730 might work well in.  I have an IC-7300, so I'm familiar with digital modes and CI-V over a USB connection.  The IC-2730A cable connects external speaker 2 to a USB port.  The major difference seems to be that the 2730 has no sound card, so the PC's card must generate the audio.  And then the question is, will PTT work?   Thanks for the various responses and, yes, it is sort of a science project.  73, KD9PCN