locked Time Synch. #Timesync

I hate bother everyone again. But I can't seem to sych with every program I could find. It may be my processor but I don't think so. Running Windows 7 laptop with 12 gb of memory.
Any help would be appreciated
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

William Smith

Hey Dave,

What were the results of running MalwareBytes?

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Aug 10, 2021, at 5:05 AM, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:

I hate bother everyone again. But I can't seem to sych with every program I could find. It may be my processor but I don't think so. Running Windows 7 laptop with 12 gb of memory.
Any help would be appreciated
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Bill Somerville

On 10/08/2021 09:23, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
I hate bother everyone again. But I can't seem to sych with every program I could find. It may be my processor but I don't think so. Running Windows 7 laptop with 12 gb of memory.
Any help would be appreciated
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Hi Dave,

first thing you should do is uninstall all time sync applications you have tried, this is important as they will interfere with each other. Then restart Windows (note *not* shutdown and reboot) as I know for sure that Dimension4 for one is not fully removed until a restart.

Once the decks are cleared install the Meinberg NTP Client application. In the installer pick a pool near to your location and also take the default of using the SYSTEM account for the service. That should be all you need to do. Use the "Quick NTP Status" tool that you will find on your start menu to check if the NTP client is synchronizing with one of the pool servers. You should see a '*' character in the left most column of one of the server lines after a couple of minutes, that indicates a suitable server has been picked for synchronization.

This is what the Quick NTP Status shows for me:

Checking current status of NTP service with ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*raspberrypi.cla .PPS.            1 u   42  256  377    3.589   -1.322   1.031
-time.cloudflare 10.21.8.19       3 u 1453 1024    1   20.040   -2.829   3.635
+keratrix.amazin 193.200.43.105   3 u 1450 1024    1   24.198   -1.303  22.904
-ntp1.exa-networ 185.134.196.169  2 u 1452 1024    1   26.575   -2.819  64.202
-ntp-cov-1.lewis 194.80.204.184   2 u 1452 1024    1   24.255   -0.327  23.851
+mail.classdesig .PPS.            1 u  186  256  377    1.598   -2.114   0.191

Note that I have a local stratum 0 GPS synchronized NTP server so that is what the NTP client has synchronized to as it is by far the most accurate time source I have. The server lines starting with '+' are standby servers that are selected and those with a '-' are rejected as being less accurate due to higher jitter or are time offset outliers.

Bill Seward

Get familiar with the “ping” command, then try pinging some of the time servers by name, ie time.foo.bar. If you don’t get replies, it’s a possibility that your home router is blocking the traffic. I’m not sure how most home routers come set up these days, but when I was running firewalls and routers professionally, one of the first things we did was block ping traffic for security purposes.

Bill

Malware bytes showed nothing.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

I have had this problem before. Meinberg will not start.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Carlos

Hi, Dave, did you install Meinberg as Administrator ??
In my case it worked only if installed as Admin.....

73, Karl OE3JAG

Am 10.08.2021 um 19:51 schrieb Dave Tucker Nu4N:

I have had this problem before. Meinberg will not start.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Colin

If Meinberg won’t start, is it giving an error message?

One way to find out:

Launch a Command Prompt with Run as Administrator. That will give you admin privileges to start/stop/restart services.

Try launching it manually.  (eg look at the batch file commands)

Net start ntp

See if it tells you what is wrong.

I’ve seen windows Updates install / reinstall / re-enable Win32time service.

You could run Services.msc

Then look at the properties for Windows Time service. Make sure it is not running, and startup is Disabled.

Another possibility is that Meinberg NTP is having trouble accessing a network port – something else might be attached to that port.

GL and 73 de VE3MSC Colin

I have had this problem before. Meinberg will not start.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

I think it's time for a new computer.
Thanks for the help folks.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Bill Somerville

On 10/08/2021 18:51, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
I have had this problem before. Meinberg will not start.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave
Dave,

a common reason for the Meinberg NTP CLient service not starting is that another NTP client is already running. For example if you have installed the SNTP client Dimension4 before then you *must* uninstall it and restart your system, then the Meinberg NTP Client service should start automatically.

Check the Windows Event Log for errors from the ntp service, they may well indicate that the NTP service port is in use which will block the service from starting.

Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Yes Bill I uninstalled Dimension and rebooted. I tried to install Meinberg and it still wont load. OK Bill I will try that.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

Alan B

Another option, rather than a new computer, is a cleaning and new install of the operating system and software. Old windoze systems get pretty cluttered and they run so much better after a reinstall.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 1:41 PM Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:
Yes Bill I uninstalled Dimension and rebooted. I tried to install Meinberg and it still wont load. OK Bill I will try that.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

I will  get back with you gentlemen and let u know how it goes.
Appreciate ur time and suggestions.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

William Smith

Also, are the fans running full speed and/or are the exhaust vents hot? Laptops that gave been in use for enough years tend to have blocked cooling systems.

Just another thing to look at, but a new computer isn’t out of line either.

73, Willie N1JBJ