#Kenwood #Cat_RigControl #Cat_RigControl #Kenwood

Chris

v 2.4.0
A few months back, WSJT-X stopped controlling my Kenwood TS-450.  I didn't have time or patience to trouble shoot at that time.  Now I'm ready to dive into it.

First, I believe this is a problem with the Kenwood library, because the program continues to work fine with my Yaesu FT-817.  Also the error message indicates this. Another program (Mixw-4) using the same com ports is able to control the Kenwood fine. 

The big mystery is why, when it once worked fine with the Kenwood, it stopped working suddenly.

What I have tried:

Re-installing (more than once)
Trying different com ports (because I had an issue with enumeration of the sound card once before)
Clearing and re configuring the settings.
Refreshing windows 10 with a repair upgrade.

None of this worked.  I could use a hint from someone who really understands how the rig library works and how one can fix or update it.

Chris, AB6QK

neil_zampella

You can't compare another program with WSJT-X unless its using Hamlib as the interface.   Reinstalling the program doesn't solve anything as this appears to be an configuration issue.

You talk about 'controlling' the rig, but then you mention sound cards, which have nothing to do with it.

Please let us know what you're using to interface the rig with computer for CAT control (if any) and how are you connecting for audio.

Neil, KN3iLZ

On 8/6/2021 4:08 PM, Chris wrote:
v 2.4.0
A few months back, WSJT-X stopped controlling my Kenwood TS-450.  I didn't have time or patience to trouble shoot at that time.  Now I'm ready to dive into it.

First, I believe this is a problem with the Kenwood library, because the program continues to work fine with my Yaesu FT-817.  Also the error message indicates this. Another program (Mixw-4) using the same com ports is able to control the Kenwood fine. 

The big mystery is why, when it once worked fine with the Kenwood, it stopped working suddenly.

What I have tried:

Trying different com ports (because I had an issue with enumeration of the sound card once before)

None of this worked.  I could use a hint from someone who really understands how the rig library works and how one can fix or update it.

Chris, AB6QK

Bill Somerville

On 06/08/2021 22:08, Chris wrote:
v 2.4.0
A few months back, WSJT-X stopped controlling my Kenwood TS-450. I didn't have time or patience to trouble shoot at that time.  Now I'm ready to dive into it.

First, I believe this is a problem with the Kenwood library, because the program continues to work fine with my Yaesu FT-817. Also the error message indicates this. Another program (Mixw-4) using the same com ports is able to control the Kenwood fine.

What I have tried:

Chris, AB6QK
Chris,

if you have an issue with an error message from WSJT-X then perhaps you should share that error message with us here. Please include the details as that is where the important diagnostic information is.

Bill
G4WJS.

Tony WA3TRA

Chris:  
When you plug the rig into the computer, the USB and com ports should list the connection. If not, there may be another issue with the connection.  That would explain why the Yaesu works and not the Kenwood.  Also, what error are you getting ?

Hope this helps..

Chris

Thanks for the quick response.  I had mentioned library error.  Here are  screen shots:.  The sound card isn't the issue.  That part works. The interface is a standard serial port using a multi-port card.   If I set the rig to "none," I find the PTT works and it stops throwing errors (as you would expect).  I also notice that if I try to use hardware handshake, the RTS setting is greyed out. I've tried every combination of handshake to no avail. These same settings work in MIXW4.

Chris, AB6QK

W1EL Eric

Chris,

Just out of curiosity, are you using a genuine Kenwood IF-232?

Best regards, Eric (W1EL)

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 11:47
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] #Kenwood #Cat_RigControl

Thanks for the quick response.  I had mentioned library error.  Here are  screen shots:.  The sound card isn't the issue.  That part works. The interface is a standard serial port using a multi-port card.   If I set the rig to "none," I find the PTT works and it stops throwing errors (as you would expect).  I also notice that if I try to use hardware handshake, the RTS setting is greyed out. I've tried every combination of handshake to no avail. These same settings work in MIXW4.

Chris, AB6QK

Dave Garber

the 450 is db9 on rear, the older models needed the if232c.

try setting control lines both to high, then ptt to cat ( assuming com5 is the correct port number

also if you log is using that port, then that port will normally not be available.  depending on log software and briding support

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 12:31 PM W1EL Eric <elowell@...> wrote:

Chris,

Chris, AB6QK

Dave Garber

maybe wrong about db9, but clones will work too, if you have the right settings.   maybe explain more for cat, and ports and what else is maybe using the com port.   what sound card device

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 1:06 PM Dave ve3wej <ve3wej@...> wrote:
the 450 is db9 on rear, the older models needed the if232c.

try setting control lines both to high, then ptt to cat ( assuming com5 is the correct port number

also if you log is using that port, then that port will normally not be available.  depending on log software and briding support

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Aug 7, 2021 at 12:31 PM W1EL Eric <elowell@...> wrote:

Chris,

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Ok gang. One more time.   Other software communicates with the radio just fine via standard rs232 (it is a ts450 oldie but goodie).  This is a standard  serial interface, not a USB to 232 converter (which should not matter anyway). It is using an IF232 or a clone (its been so long I don't remember for sure.. but it does work correctly with all other software.
It is really almost impossible that it could be hardware. The error suggests a problem with HamLib. I have no familiarity with the inner workings of this, but it does correctly communicate with the Yaesu radio using the appropriate settings.

Possibly a corrupt file?  Where does Hamlib get its information?

Grasping at straws.

Chris, AB6QK

W1EL Eric

Chris,

Some clone level shifters have given problems in the past, just as you describe, working ok with one application and not with another.

Best Regards, Eric (W1EL)

Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2021 15:08

Ok gang. One more time.   Other software communicates with the radio just fine via standard rs232 (it is a ts450 oldie but goodie).  This is a standard  serial interface, not a USB to 232 converter (which should not matter anyway). It is using an IF232 or a clone (its been so long I don't remember for sure.. but it does work correctly with all other software.
It is really almost impossible that it could be hardware. The error suggests a problem with HamLib. I have no familiarity with the inner workings of this, but it does correctly communicate with the Yaesu radio using the appropriate settings.

Possibly a corrupt file?  Where does Hamlib get its information?

Grasping at straws.

Chris, AB6QK

Bill Somerville

On 07/08/2021 16:46, Chris wrote:

Chris, AB6QK
Hi Chris,

some clarification is needed.

1) You have WSJT-X configured for CAT control on COM7 and PTT using RTS on  COM5, do you really have two serial ports connected to you rig. I ask because you only mention one.

2) Why are you forcing DTR low on your CAT serial port?

Bill
G4WJS.

Mack Edmonson

might want to try "stop bits =1. That is the setting that works with my TS2000X

Mack
W4ENN

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Aug 7, 2021 10:44 am

Chris:  

When you plug the rig into the computer, the USB and com ports should list the connection. If not, there may be another issue with the connection.  That would explain why the Yaesu works and not the Kenwood.  Also, what error are you getting ?

Hope this helps..

Michael Black

Everybody may want to try all the Default settings which should work on all rigs.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, August 7, 2021, 05:10:15 PM CDT, Mack Edmonson via groups.io <mackedmonson@...> wrote:

might want to try "stop bits =1.  That is the setting that works with my TS2000X

Mack
W4ENN

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Aug 7, 2021 10:44 am

Chris:  

Hope this helps..

Chris

Fair question.  Com 7 goes to the rs232 on the rig for cat. Com 5 (ptt) goes to my Rigblaster, and and the Rigblaster keys the PTT line.. By the way, the PTT works if I select "None" from the radio drop-down, which is the only way I can get the program to stop throwing errors.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

I've tried changing stop bits. No joy I'm afraid.

Chris, AB6QK

Chris

Default settings: been there, done that!

Chris, AB6QK

Dave Garber

what happens if ptt in wsjt is changed to ptt via cat, so it would use com7, if I understand, to key the rig, not com5

sounds like rigblaster may be designed to work with vox, as well

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Chris <chris@...> wrote:

Chris, AB6QK

Daniel Bejan

Did you check the baud rate to be the same?
Just a thought.

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021, 21:33 Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:
what happens if ptt in wsjt is changed to ptt via cat, so it would use com7, if I understand, to key the rig, not com5

sounds like rigblaster may be designed to work with vox, as well

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 11:50 AM Chris <chris@...> wrote:

Chris, AB6QK

Chip Coker KD4C

Chris,

Are you using the latest version of WSJT-X?  I had problems with 2.4.0 with my Kenwood (TS-140S) after the upgrade but the current version works fine.

73 - Chip KD4C

Chris

Just tried 2.5.0.  No Joy.

For those just tuning in, this is a hamlib error that just started happening.

Since we are at that inevitable point in a discussion where folks are not carefully reading the original post, a few things need to be restated:

I have other programs that talk to the CAT via com 7 just fine, so the port isn't the issue.

I have tried many configuration changes, but mostly this is the port configuration that is known to work with other programs.

This was working fine and at some point just stopped working for wsjt-x. i thought it might be a windows 10 update, but at this point I don't believe that is the cause.

What would be useful to know: is there a repair or rollback for hamlib that someone could give me a hint on?  I realize this is third party thing.

Apparently I'm the only one that has had this issue recently.

Chris, AB6QK