FW: Looking for True Time Sync Story #Timesync

Michael Luke

I didn’t want to ask a dumb question but my curiosity is getting the better of me. A year ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I used Dem4 for time sync on 7 and though I had brought that forward on 10. After all the recent Email about time sync I thought I should abandon Dem4 and get a better time sync. To my surprise when I  researched my version of time sync I found out that I was NOT using any third party software and was getting sync from Windows 10 native software. This “seems” to have been working well for over a year. I do not want to add a third party software and take the chance of “breaking” anything when it seems to be working fine. My Delta Time in the window below seems to run and average +-0.1 to 0.3. What am I missing here?

Mike WA3MJZ

Buddy Morgan

All Macs all sync. I don't know about Linux. Some Windows computers sync and some don't. I have a HP All in One and a Dell Laptop. Neither of them sync. I have friends that own Windows computers that sync. The Windows computers that do sync, do a very good job of syncing and you definitely do not need any third party software.

Buddy WB4OMG

Michael Black

If it's working for you then there's nothing to worry about.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, August 5, 2021, 07:46:54 AM CDT, Michael Luke <mdluke1@...> wrote:

I didn’t want to ask a dumb question but my curiosity is getting the better of me. A year ago I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I used Dem4 for time sync on 7 and though I had brought that forward on 10. After all the recent Email about time sync I thought I should abandon Dem4 and get a better time sync. To my surprise when I  researched my version of time sync I found out that I was NOT using any third party software and was getting sync from Windows 10 native software. This “seems” to have been working well for over a year. I do not want to add a third party software and take the chance of “breaking” anything when it seems to be working fine. My Delta Time in the window below seems to run and average +-0.1 to 0.3. What am I missing here?

Mike WA3MJZ

Chuck Moore <wd4hxg@...>

Running Windows 10 Pro. It appears my version synced with a server about once or twice a week when depending on  the default services of 10 Pro on my box. When the discussion appeared about time sync, the values reported by WSJT were checked. Usually they ranged from 0.7 to 1.4. Occasionally a value higher would appear but seemed to be a corner case matter.

On a lark I installed the client for Meinberg. DT values dropped to about 0.1 to 0.3.

Not sure it made any difference but the displayed DT values more closely conform to what as I understand is desirable.

Regards

Chuck WD4HXG

On Aug 5, 2021, at 8:53 AM, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

<image005.jpg>

<image006.jpg>

<image006.jpg>
<image005.jpg>

I know the Raspberry Pi syncs. The ntp daemon starts at system load. I think thats generally the case with Linux machines.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA