Mode selection on the main screen #mainscreen #modes

Bob McLeod

Hi,
I just visited a friend who has WSJT-X  2.4.0 installed, and on his version there are buttons where you can select the mode next to the levels bar on the left of the screen.  I also have 2.4.0 installed and don't have this, and we can't find an option that turns it on/off.  He did a default install, so we don't know where the option came from - can anyone shed any light on it.  Screenshot attached below - you can see the column with buttons enabling you to select FT8, FT4, H for hound mode etc.
Thanks.
Bob VP8LP

Bill Somerville

On 03/08/2021 19:45, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I just visited a friend who has WSJT-X  2.4.0 installed, and on his version there are buttons where you can select the mode next to the levels bar on the left of the screen.  I also have 2.4.0 installed and don't have this, and we can't find an option that turns it on/off.  He did a default install, so we don't know where the option came from - can anyone shed any light on it. Screenshot attached below - you can see the column with buttons enabling you to select FT8, FT4, H for hound mode etc.
Thanks.
Bob VP8LP
Hi Bob,

that's a customized version, there's no such feature in the official version. I'm rather surprised the OM did not know he was not running the official version! Given that it has obviously be distributed, there should be a web page or project page where the modified sources are available, if not then it is in violation of the GPLv3 license WSJT-X is released under.

neil_zampella

I suspect that is NOT an official build, but more than likely a cloned version by someone who did not properly annotate that it is a cloned version.

Where did your friend download the install file from?  If they did not get it from the 'official' sites (WSJT-X page, or Sourceforge WSJT page) than its a modified program.

Frankly, you can change modes very easily (and with less problems) by using the recommended method of setting up different configurations for each mode.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/3/2021 1:45 PM, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I just visited a friend who has WSJT-X  2.4.0 installed, and on his version there are buttons where you can select the mode next to the levels bar on the left of the screen.  I also have 2.4.0 installed and don't have this, and we can't find an option that turns it on/off.  He did a default install, so we don't know where the option came from - can anyone shed any light on it.  Screenshot attached below - you can see the column with buttons enabling you to select FT8, FT4, H for hound mode etc.
Thanks.
Bob VP8LP

neil_zampella

In addition, I just noticed that it has 3 TABS for the exchange, which is not in the official program either.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/3/2021 2:00 PM, Neil Zampella wrote:

[...]

Hi Bill,

I will find out where he downloaded it from when he comes home from work - I think he just googled WSJT download and took one of the choices that came up.  That might explain why he gets some odd messages sometimes - which is why he asked us to look at it in the first place.  It didn't misbehave whilst we were there, so we are none the wiser, but it had been randomly throwing up odd messages.....
Thanks,
Bob VP8LP

On 03/08/2021 15:59, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

Hello again,
Well, it was as I thought - he googled and got it off a link that came up - not realizing it wasn't the official place, and didn't save the link so we don't know where it originated.  He is uninstalling it and going to download from Sourceforge, and hopefully the other random issues will go away too.  Thanks for the advice.
73
Bob VP8LP

On 03/08/2021 16:25, Bob McLeod via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Bruce N7XGR

Bob,  If he is using Firefox then do this, Tools>Downloads
Right click on that download and click on Copy Download Link.
Paste that link in the next post here.  You can also paste the link
in the address bar to show what website it came from.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 6:14 PM Bob McLeod via groups.io <bob.janet=horizon.co.fk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Martin G0HDB

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 08:02 PM, neil_zampella wrote:

In addition, I just noticed that it has 3 TABS for the exchange, which is not in the official program either.

The standard 'CQ only' tick-box at the far LHS of the main window has also been modified; its legend is now 'CQ/73'.

Bob - I'd be slightly worried that a seemingly much-modified version of the official WSJT-X app has been installed on your friend's PC; I'd suggest he does a very thorough uninstall of the rogue app (perhaps using the Revo Uninstaller utility) and then does a rigorous anti-malware scan of the PC.  Given the indeterminate origin of the modified app there's no knowing how 'clean' (or otherwise) it might be.

--
Martin G0HDB

Ron W3RJW

Edited

Easy.  It's one of the "improved" versions by Uwe, DG2YCB.  He has added several features such as the buttons and layouts that work better on small screens.  It is well done and not a threat.  It is and has been my daily driver.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x Improved 2.5.0 rc3, JTAlert 2.50.2, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Bill M

I use it and love it. I’m away from my pc at the moment of I’d show my screen. Uwe was ill but home now. He did it fir fun but what a wonderful addition to the mix.

Bill W2CQ

neil_zampella

It should be 'badged' as such.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/4/2021 5:56 AM, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
Easy.  It's one of the "improved" versions by Uwe, DG2YCB.  He has added several features such as the buttons and layouts that work better on small screens.  It is well done and not a threat.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x Improved 2.5.0 rc3, JTAlert 2.50.2, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Lars Berg

Neil! You should tell Uwe what you think he should do. His E-mail is DG2YCB@... and he is open minded for any sugestions. In my opinion several off his improvments should be part of the WSJT-X. Se also https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/.

Lars / SM3CCM

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

On 8/4/2021 5:56 AM, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:

Easy.  It's one of the "improved" versions by Uwe, DG2YCB.  He has added several features such as the buttons and layouts that work better on small screens.  It is well done and not a threat.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x Improved 2.5.0 rc3, JTAlert 2.50.2, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

neil_zampella

He should understand the use of the code under the GNU License and what it requires.  Since he's changed the UI its not WSJT-X, but a derivative work and as such should reflect that in the name, and Window header as other do.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 8/5/2021 5:13 AM, Lars Berg wrote:

Neil! You should tell Uwe what you think he should do. His E-mail is DG2YCB@... and he is open minded for any sugestions. In my opinion several off his improvments should be part of the WSJT-X. Se also https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/.

Lars / SM3CCM

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

On 8/4/2021 5:56 AM, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:

Easy.  It's one of the "improved" versions by Uwe, DG2YCB.  He has added several features such as the buttons and layouts that work better on small screens.  It is well done and not a threat.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x Improved 2.5.0 rc3, JTAlert 2.50.2, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Lars Berg

Just tell him. Uwe is an retired scientist and he will understand and he will not be offended. 73 de Lars – SM3CCM

Skickades från E-post för Windows 10

On 8/4/2021 5:56 AM, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:

Easy.  It's one of the "improved" versions by Uwe, DG2YCB.  He has added several features such as the buttons and layouts that work better on small screens.  It is well done and not a threat.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt-x-improved/
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x Improved 2.5.0 rc3, JTAlert 2.50.2, HRD Deluxe v6.7.0.357
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

neil_zampella

He should be following this group anyway ... but if he's a retired scientist, he should know the requirements.

Neil, KN3ILZ