How to move settings to new Windows 10 install? #install

Dean Jacobsen

Hi All,

I have tried a couple of unfruitful searches here on "moving settings", so please forgive me for asking about a topic that I am sure has come up before... I just can't find the answer.

I will be getting a new computer Monday which I will be using for WSJT-X.

I have made a copy of my wsjtx_log.adi file to transplant into the new install.  However, it would also be nice if I could import all of my configuration settings too.  Which files from the C:\Users|user_name\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\ directory need to be moved as well?  I will also be using JTAlert with the new install.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Dean Jacobsen W6DBJ
Other Hobby - http://astrophoto.net/wp/

On 30/07/2021 17:45, Dean Jacobsen wrote:
Hi All,

I have tried a couple of unfruitful searches here on "moving settings", so please forgive me for asking about a topic that I am sure has come up before... I just can't find the answer.

I will be getting a new computer Monday which I will be using for WSJT-X.

I have made a copy of my wsjtx_log.adi file to transplant into the new install.  However, it would also be nice if I could import all of my configuration settings too.  Which files from the C:\Users|user_name\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\ directory need to be moved as well?  I will also be using JTAlert with the new install.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Dean Jacobsen W6DBJ
Dean,

the WSJT-X User Guide has the information you seek:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.4.0.html#_file_locations

On MS Windows the configurations and settings are all in the file:

"%LocalAppData%\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini"

Dean Jacobsen

Thanks Bill.  I appreciate the response.
--
Dean Jacobsen W6DBJ
Other Hobby - http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dave Garber

copy all the files in the appdata wsjt folder to a thumbdrive, then paste on the new computer into the same appdata folder

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 1:15 PM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I have tried a couple of unfruitful searches here on "moving settings", so please forgive me for asking about a topic that I am sure has come up before... I just can't find the answer.

I will be getting a new computer Monday which I will be using for WSJT-X.

I have made a copy of my wsjtx_log.adi file to transplant into the new install.  However, it would also be nice if I could import all of my configuration settings too.  Which files from the C:\Users|user_name\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\ directory need to be moved as well?  I will also be using JTAlert with the new install.

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Dean Jacobsen W6DBJ
Other Hobby - http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Reino Talarmo

Dave,

I think that Bill mentioned some time ago that some file in that directory are installation and PC dependent. Only files wsjt-x.ini and wsjtx_log.adi are really needed to recover the same status as in the previous PC. I don’t know whether there could be any harm, if also other files are copied over.

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

Tony WA3TRA

Microsoft use to have a transfer utility that would move profiles, folders, etc.  However, that product is discontinued and they recommend using the following: Download PCmover Express for Free! (laplink.com)  Like previous utilities, it should bring everything over except the programs.

Hope that helps.

William Smith

I really miss the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard!

I tried to use that laplink thing once, and it was an unmitigated disaster.

Now I just reinstall programs and copy files manually.

I wish I could say macOS Migration Assistant was perfect, but while it's better than WIndows (very low bar), it's still fraught with peril.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 31, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Tony SANTORO <pcsantoro@...> wrote:

Microsoft use to have a transfer utility that would move profiles, folders, etc.  However, that product is discontinued and they recommend using the following: Download PCmover Express for Free! (laplink.com)  Like previous utilities, it should bring everything over except the programs.

Hope that helps.

Dave Garber

Reino, I have found the some users do not have the file extensions showing, so they are not sure which file was an adi, etc.  it was easier to just copy all, to continue using the all.txt, calls, etc

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 3:36 PM Reino Talarmo <reino.talarmo@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave, I agree that user need to select certain filenames i.e. wsjt-log, WXJT-X and perhaps call3 and wsjt for a short list copy.

I would rename all.txt to something else e.g. all_210804.txt (if only filename is there then from ‘all’ to ‘all_210804’) and copy that. The all.txt can grow to a huge size and it is better to rename it for records now and then, wsjt-x will make a new one automatically.

73, Reino OH3mA

Bill Somerville

On 04/08/2021 14:37, Reino Talarmo wrote:

Reino, I have found the some users do not have the file extensions showing, so they are not sure which file was an adi, etc.  it was easier to just copy all, to continue using the all.txt, calls, etc

Dave, I agree that user need to select certain filenames i.e. wsjt-log, WXJT-X and perhaps call3 and wsjt for a short list copy.

I would rename all.txt to something else e.g. all_210804.txt (if only filename is there then from ‘all’ to ‘all_210804’) and copy that. The all.txt can grow to a huge size and it is better to rename it for records now and then, wsjt-x will make a new one automatically.

73, Reino OH3mA

Hi Dean, Dave, and Reino,

files with wisdom in their name should not be moved to a different machine, they contain FFT optimizations that are CPU specific. if they are not present then they will be recreated with the correct contents for the machine they are generated on.