locked Setting Up WSJT-X with Ft-991a with a raspberry pi #FT8 #linux #Yaesu


Gregg
 

Hi there!

 

Curious if anyone else has set up a 991a with a raspberry pi and what your settings were? I followed these instructions https://radioaficion.com/news/ft-991-digital-communications-with-only-a-usb-cable/

i can RX just fine but TX triggers the PTT but there's no sound coming out. Any ideas?

 

Thanks!


RichW6BOT
 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 12:12 AM, Gregg wrote:
i can RX just fine but TX triggers the PTT but there's no sound coming out. Any ideas?
Hi Gregg,

I have a Pi4 setup to do WSJT-X with my 991A.

See the images below.  Hope this helps!

Rich
W6BOT

Here are the settings that I use:


Gregg
 

Are you using just the USB cable or the USB cable and a cat to usb converter?

 

reading for windows seems like the drivers give the option to do everything with one cable (which is what i was trying) but that might be my issue

 

also do you have handy your radio settings? thanks!


RichW6BOT
 

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 09:24 AM, Gregg wrote:

for windows seems like the drivers give the option to do everything with one cable (which is what i was trying) but that might be my issue

 

The Pi is connected to the 991A by a USB cable only.
I would try to avoid using the USB 3.0 connections for this.  I've noticed that they are a bit finicky.
Also you might want to ensure that you reboot the Pi after you've made the USB connections.  It's supposed to pick up the new connection, but I've seen issues with that as well.

Rich  


Gregg
 

Thank you!

 

The program is now crashing when i tune or enable tx. Is there a way to look at the crashlog?


Reino Talarmo
 

>The program is now crashing when i tune or enable tx. Is there a way to look at the crashlog?

Hi Gregg,
Normal answer to that indication is RFI. Solution is effective grounding or connection of all equipment grounds together with low impedance connections. And all that grounded to real ground as usually done in radio stations. In addition common mode ferrites on connecting wires, especially on the USB line, may mitigate RFI.
There has been a lot of discussion in this mail list, perhaps searching RFI helps.
73, Reino OH3mA


RichW6BOT
 

I agree!

More than likely you have an RFI problem.
I have an MFJ current balun on my dipole, and a large ferrite on the coax between a switch and the 991a. I still have to keep the Pi a couple feet away from the coax in order to keep my bluetooth keyboard and mouse from losing connection.

I'm second story with no easy way to RF ground the equipment.

Glad you have the two talking at least!

Rich  


M0PWX
 

The FT-991a is well known for being sensitive to RFI on the USB port

 

I use a short USB cable (about2 ft) with a big ferrite near the rig and the USB cable fed through it about 4-5 time

 

And coiled about 5-6foot of coax into a 5-6 inch coil with about 8 turn where the coax enters the shack, and I have no issues

 

73

 

Peter

M0PWX

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of RichW6BOT <rich.allen.gordon@...>
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2021 2:01:28 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Setting Up WSJT-X with Ft-991a with a raspberry pi #FT8 #linux #Yaesu
 
I agree!

More than likely you have an RFI problem.
I have an MFJ current balun on my dipole, and a large ferrite on the coax between a switch and the 991a. I still have to keep the Pi a couple feet away from the coax in order to keep my bluetooth keyboard and mouse from losing connection.

I'm second story with no easy way to RF ground the equipment.

Glad you have the two talking at least!

Rich  


wisconsinjimmy <algot1901@...>
 

Hello to all of you good people, I am thinking it is my sound card as I have to choices in settings either audio codec or Realtek high definition  now here is the rub I cannot find realtex in my programs and it used to be there. I had an old HP computer with internal sound card and it worked fine just the puter was ancient so got another and all was going OK until Microsoft dumped a crap load of updates on me and all hell broke loose and it is still causing problems and I cannot uninstall the stuff. I am re-downloading the drivers etc.  It has to be the updates and if there is away to get them gone I guess I will have to go to a puter tech.
Regards
Jim KD9DOG 


neil_zampella
 

Spend $10 or $15 bucks on an external USB sound card first ... the tech will charge you over $50 or more an hour.  If an external sound card fixes this issue (and I suspect it would), then consider it money well spent.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 7/30/2021 9:53 AM, wisconsinjimmy wrote:
Hello to all of you good people, I am thinking it is my sound card as I have to choices in settings either audio codec or Realtek high definition  now here is the rub I cannot find realtex in my programs and it used to be there. I had an old HP computer with internal sound card and it worked fine just the puter was ancient so got another and all was going OK until Microsoft dumped a crap load of updates on me and all hell broke loose and it is still causing problems and I cannot uninstall the stuff. I am re-downloading the drivers etc.  It has to be the updates and if there is away to get them gone I guess I will have to go to a puter tech.
Regards
Jim KD9DOG 



wisconsinjimmy <algot1901@...>
 

Sorry I hit the wrong click I have no raspberry pi
Jim KD9DOG