Meinberg NTP Problem #Timesync

Jim Johnson KC4HW

Perhaps this is not the right place for this but if you know of a more appropriate venue, please let me know..

I tried to install Meinberg on two different computer today.  One was a Win8.1 Desktop and the other was a W10 Laptop.

This was a new installation on the Laptop and that installation appears to be routine and is working fine.  My internet service is Hughesnet so even though I have a "reach" at 377 the "delay", "offset" and "jitter" values are quite large compared to the examples.  But there is nothing I can do about it.  I am just beginning to run it with WSJT-X, so will see how that works out.

Unfortunately the Desktop did not fair as well.  I had forgot that sometime in Jun 2017 I must have attempted a previous installation.  So when I tried to install the latest version, it ask me if I wanted to update the current files.  So I got pulled in and clicked yes!  Well it did not work.  So I attempt to "Uninstall" and it appears to been successfully uninstall.  There was a bit of residue left over, so I deleted those file and directories.  Rebooted the computer and then tried to do a fresh install.  It seemed to go according to the instructions until I got to the password.  Meinberg still remember that I had previously set a password!!  Anyway a long story, but the final results were that it did not install correctly and it would not start.

So here is the question:  Does anyone know the best way to completely remove a Meinberg installation from a W8.1 computer and it password?  Perhaps then a fresh install.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim/KC4HW

William Smith

I suspect that with HughesNet you are going to have 'poor' network time sync, but you'll still be well within the requirements for WSJT-x and it's ilk.

You've probably got something left over in a registry entry on the Win8 machine, or it's stuck on the password for the user it created to run the NTP service.  I think you said you removed files associated with the previous installs:

/*
in the [Configuration] section of your INI file and it will be copied to C:\Program Files\NTP\etc\ntp_client.conf by the installer (assuming that you specified C:\Program Files\NTP as the InstallDir.
*/

But I'd uninstall, reboot, search for those leftover files again, reboot again, and try a reinstall.

When it asks to install the service, can you specify a different user?  Under Services, pick Network Time Protocol Daemon, right click, select Properties, pick the Log On tab and see what it says?

I'm having trouble finding registry entries associated with NTP, but I'm sure a search forthem or Meinberg will show up somehting you can remove.  [Backups while fiddling with registry entries, of course!]

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jul 27, 2021, at 9:16 PM, Jim Johnson KC4HW <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Nick Norman

On 28/07/2021 11:18, William Smith wrote:
I suspect that with HughesNet you are going to have 'poor' network time sync, but you'll still be well within the requirements for WSJT-x and it's ilk.

You've probably got something left over in a registry entry on the Win8 machine, or it's stuck on the password for the user it created to run the NTP service. I think you said you removed files associated with the previous installs:
There may not be registry entries as such, ntp config will be in a
directory somewhere called /etc/

On a win7-pro machine they seem to be in C:\Program Files (x86)\NTP\etc
- which may, or may not be a virtual place. But I have no idea how
windows sets up services, nor where it keeps those files, *nix on the
other hand ... :-)

73
Nick
M0HGU

--
I MUST SAY THESE ARE VERY GOOD BISCUITS. HOW DO THEY GET THE BITS OF
CHOCOLATE IN?

Jim Johnson KC4HW

Nick/M0HGU and Willie/N1JBJ, thanks for the input. I will keep kicking around in W8.1 and see if I can sort it out.

Jim/KC4HW - EM71 Alabama

[...]

Gene Horr

I don't recall whether this was mentioned before but make sure Port 123 UDP is open through your firewall(s).

Bill Somerville

On 28/07/2021 15:33, Gene Horr wrote:
I don't recall whether this was mentioned before but make sure Port 123 UDP is open through your firewall(s).
Gene,

that is not necessary for an ntp client, only servers accessed from outside the local sub-net need port 123 opened for incoming connections.

Martin G0HDB

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 01:05 PM, Jim Johnson KC4HW wrote:
Nick/M0HGU and Willie/N1JBJ, thanks for the input. I will keep kicking around in W8.1 and see if I can sort it out.

Jim/KC4HW - EM71 Alabama
Jim:

You might also find it worthwhile looking at, and perhaps following, the help and guidance given at:

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/setup.html

--
Martin G0HDB

Jim Johnson KC4HW

Thanks Martin, I did find that document and it was very helpful in setting up the laptop with Meinberg.  Hasn't been helpful with the W8.1 problem.  I have been letting this W8.1 rest a bit, had another issue that just got sorted out today, so I will be back on it soon.

Appreciate the help

Jim/KC4HW

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 03:13 AM, Jim Johnson KC4HW wrote:
Thanks Martin, I did find that document and it was very helpful in setting up the laptop with Meinberg.  Hasn't been helpful with the W8.1 problem.  I have been letting this W8.1 rest a bit, had another issue that just got sorted out today, so I will be back on it soon.

Appreciate the help

Jim/KC4HW
Hi again Jim, glad to hear that the GM8ARV information helped you to set up Meinberg on the laptop.

Re: your problem on the Win8.1 PC, it might be worth running the Revo Uninstaller utility app and seeing if that will remove all traces of your existing Meinberg installation on the Win8.1 machine so that you can then start all over again with a completely fresh install.

After the Uninstaller has done its stuff and got rid of the app itself it'll ask if you want to do a scan of the PC to clean out the registry etc; I always select the 'Advanced' scan and then delete everything that the uninstaller finds - by doing that you can be fairly confident that most if not all traces of the unwanted app are removed, which would hopefully get rid of the password that's still hanging around somewhere in the PC.

Good luck!

--
Martin G0HDB

Let me add my vote to Martin’s on the Revo Uninstaller. It’s really quite good and should get rid of all of the remnants of whatever it uninstalls.

Dan – K4SHQ

CFI/II

[...]

Hey Martin, you a good resource of tips!  Thanks I will give this a try.

Jim/KC4HW

[...]

Dan, thanks for the endorsement to Martin's suggestion on the Revo Uninstaller.  I guess I have been in the "hole in the ground" on this one.

Jim/KC4HW - EM71 Alabama