Problem trying to set up for 5MHz... I am now locked out.... #Cat_RigControl #Yaesu

David Gould

My set-up is  Win4Yaesu Suite controlling an FTdx5000 and using an SCU-17 interface.

I was told that I had to set the memory channels in Win4Yaesu Suite to select a 5MHz channel and not from the radio.

To set the memory channel in Win4Yaesu you have to import it from the radio.  I set the radio to 5.357 and imported the frequency into Win4Yaesu successfully.  While doing this WSJT-X followed and set itself to 5.357MHz.

When finished I wanted to go back to 50MHz, but I can't,  WSJT-X comes up with a rig control error.  I have tried everything I can think of to get back to 50MHz, reset the frequencies, restarted WSJT-X and even re-booted the whole computer, but I still get the "Rig control error. Do you want to re-configure the radio interface"   I haven't touched the radio interface directly so not sure what I need to reconfigure.

I have a screenshot of the error dialogue box .

I am completely stuck until I can get out of this lock-out.   I would be grateful for any help

73,  Dave G3UEG

Bill Somerville

On 26/07/2021 17:55, David Gould wrote:
My set-up is Win4Yaesu Suite controlling an FTdx5000 and using an SCU-17 interface.

I was told that I had to set the memory channels in Win4Yaesu Suite to select a 5MHz channel and not from the radio.

To set the memory channel in Win4Yaesu you have to import it from the radio.  I set the radio to 5.357 and imported the frequency into Win4Yaesu successfully.  While doing this WSJT-X followed and set itself to 5.357MHz.

When finished I wanted to go back to 50MHz, but I can't,  WSJT-X comes up with a rig control error.  I have tried everything I can think of to get back to 50MHz, reset the frequencies, restarted WSJT-X and even re-booted the whole computer, but I still get the "Rig control error. Do you want to re-configure the radio interface"   I haven't touched the radio interface directly so not sure what I need to reconfigure.
<snipped inline image>

I am completely stuck until I can get out of this lock-out.   I would be grateful for any help

73,  Dave G3UEG
Hi Dave,

WSJT-X requires your rig to be in VFO mode for CAT control to work. Some Yaesu rigs like yours will only transmit on 60m when using a memory channel. We recommend that you make a new configuration in WSJT-X ("Menu->Configurations") with "Settings->Radio->Rig->None", "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->RTS", and Settings->Radio->PTT Port" set to your rig's virtual serial port that has the RTS PTT signal input. Switch to this configuration  when operating on 60m along with switching to the correct memory channel. To revert to full CAT control for the other bands; switch the rig back to VFO mode, and switch to the original WSJT-X configuration.

David Gould

Hi Bill,
Thanks so much for getting back so quickly.  I will look at the alternate configuration later, my immediate problem was to get out of the Rig Control Error lock-out.  It took me a few goes, but have got there now... phew!!   I am back working on 6m, but not much there to work!

Thanks for your help.

73,
Dave G3UEG