Time Synch. #Timesync

Really appreciate all the help guess. But I just can't get to work. Guess I will use NET TIME and check the time off and on.
--
Thanks 73's de NU4N/Dave

gmendenh1947

Although it was reported earlier, that the Dimension 4 time sync app does not work with Windows 10, I have found that Dimension 4  V 5.31.331 does work well under Windows 10.  I have used Meinberg in the past, but found it to be fussy and unreliable on startup of the computer which often required manual intervention.  Although Meinberg uses a more sophisticated technique for the time adjustment without introducing discontinuities, I find using Dimension 4 set to update once and hour has minimal impact on lost decodes during the time correction interval.  Dimension 4 auto-starts reliably every time I restart the computer.

K0GU

Interesting, I have zero problems with Meinberg and until I switched had problems with DIM4 sometimes not finding the time server. Probably some setting I had wrong or I chose an intermittent time server. FWIW

gmendenh1947 if you have a callsign you might wish to create a signature line, or add your call to the post, so we have an idea who you are, or not. I'm going to guess you are one of the many Mendenhalls in the FCC data base that has a name starting with g.

--
73,  Jay  K0GU  DN70mq

Alan B

Meinberg has been trouble free here on several machines, and I find it useful to have several servers in the list to compare. You can see that some servers go offline or have large delays and jitter, or intermittently fail to respond. Meinberg NTP monitors a set of servers and carefully selects the best server from the list to follow and smoothly keeps the clock synchronized, even on a laptop which has many sleep periods. Any program that follows a single server is going to have good days and bad days and it won't know when a server is out of spec. It's like a commercial airliner with only one engine - not always reliable.

de w6akb

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 10:26 AM K0GU <k0gu@...> wrote:
Interesting, I have zero problems with Meinberg and until I switched had problems with DIM4 sometimes not finding the time server. Probably some setting I had wrong or I chose an intermittent time server. FWIW

gmendenh1947 if you have a callsign you might wish to create a signature line, or add your call to the post, so we have an idea who you are, or not. I'm going to guess you are one of the many Mendenhalls in the FCC data base that has a name starting with g.

--
73,  Jay  K0GU  DN70mq

Gary E. Kohtala

I agree. I've been using Meinberg   for years on multiple computers. Never a problem. I highly recommend it.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY - EM77at

On Jul 26, 2021, at 13:51, Alan Biocca <alan.biocca@...> wrote:
[...]

Kermit Lehman

I have two computers I use for FT modes. As an experiment the one runs Dim4 and the other Meinberg. Both have worked well for me.

If you use Dim4, you need to find the closest open-access time server.  I use one from MIT, which is relatively nearby.  If you don't set Dim4 up properly in this regard, it won't work well.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Interesting, I have zero problems with Meinberg and until I switched had problems with DIM4 sometimes not finding the time server. Probably some setting I had wrong or I chose an intermittent time server. FWIW

gmendenh1947 if you have a callsign you might wish to create a signature line, or add your call to the post, so we have an idea who you are, or not. I'm going to guess you are one of the many Mendenhalls in the FCC data base that has a name starting with g.

--
73,  Jay  K0GU  DN70mq

Ron Schunk

I've been using Meinberg since February when I first got back on the air and also time.is ... when I bring my laptop back from 'sleep' mode I usually find that time.is never up to date...I always end up rebooting the laptop and then my time is exact...
Ron
WA8KQF

On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 2:47 PM Kermit Lehman via groups.io <ktfrog007=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Pietro Molina

I suggest BktTimeSync

Michael Black

If you start it with -g it should sync immediately.

Open services and find Network Time Protocol -- stop it and add the -g switch -- then start it back up again and test.

Inline image

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 27, 2021, 12:47:16 PM CDT, Ron Schunk <ron051798@...> wrote:

[...]

I run Meinberg on several machines, one of them is a recent Dell Windows 10 laptop. When it comes back up the time is off by a varying amount depending on how long the laptop was asleep (it seems to drift something like a second or two per day, I haven't tried to measure it precisely), within a couple of minutes it is spot on. I do have the iburst option on the server config lines, so NTP can decide to jump the clock if it is too far off and correct it immediately, otherwise it warps it in smoothly as NTP is designed to do. So it works perfectly fine on a laptop if configured properly. No reboots or restarts required, my laptop pretty much only reboots when Microsoft sends out updates. Looking at the Meinberg NTP Monitor I can see how far it is off from multiple servers, and can see NTP select the best server to use, either the local Pi GPS PPS servers or one of several from the internet, either from the pool or from a list I have culled of better sites on the internet. It rarely chooses the internet servers, they have low jitter but their delays are a lot higher than the local Pi's. But it always looks at the quality of several servers and chooses the best.

Dimension 4, Bktimesync and other SNTP programs only look at one server at a time, so if it or the intervening network is having problems, the result can be bad and the time set incorrectly without notice, and jerking the system time every 5 minutes or whatever is not a good way to correct the system clock, it causes problems for programs that are doing realtime as the jerking interferes with their sense of time (for example each jerk could cause decode errors on programs like WSJT-X). Full NTP clients look at a list of servers and observe their performance, and choose the best one to follow while monitoring the others. It is very common for a usually good server to occasionally have problems, either the server itself gets busy with something (other workload, updates, client load, reboots) or the network between the server and your location has congestion that causes jitter and delays or packet losses. It is very common to get bad times from remote time servers, at least occasionally. So a quality filtering process is important to ensuring that your machine follows good time information. This is what NTP is developed and perfected to do.

73 de w6akb

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 11:05 AM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Skip <WMMILTON@...>

Replace the CMOS battery.