100% Noob having issues #WSJTX_config #txaudio #transmit #Icom

Brian Iler

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but.....

So, I have an IC-705 hooked wireless to a PC running the Icom Remote utility and WSJTx 2.4
Everything talks - WSJTX changes frequencies - recieves and decodes, looks like all is well, right?

But it isn't.
In FT8 mode, I enable TX and the 705 keys up and shows to be transmitting - but it appears that nothing is being sent.
So, I went into WSPR mode and transmitted - on another SDR reciever I see my transmission and it decodes fine.
I check WSPRnet, and I see me, and see that a lot of other users see me as well - so I KNOW I'm transmitting.

I go back to FT8, try again, and nothing.

I've got the latest firmware (1.26) on the 705, the updated Remote utility and I already mentioned WSJTX 2.4

I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing, any help would be appreciated.

73's
Brian

Tom Melvin

Hi Brian

Suggest go back to basics.

Operate the IC-705 without any of the remote software installed.

Plug a power meter into the 705 - don’t depend on wspr or other receivers.

Do you get power out?

Try SSB/FM still get power?

Start with a simple setup and change a bit a time.

Regards
Tom
GM8MJV

On 24 Jul 2021, at 20:44, kk6bdf@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Hi Tom -

Yep - I have power out.
I have a SWR/power meter inline with the antenna.
I have checked multiple modes, via the PC and stand alone
Defaulted the 705, uninstalled WSJTX and the Icom software and re-installed.
Tested via simplex to make sure I was transmitting out and receiving as I should.

I know 2.4 is a new version of WSJTX - I'm wondering if that version has a bug.
I would D/L an earlier version, but I can't seem to find one.

73's
Brian

Dave Garber

check to verify the correct audio output device is set, and that permissions are given ( if using windows)
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 4:08 PM <kk6bdf@...> wrote:
[...]

Done and Done.

Like I mentioned in the original post - it's working with WSPR fine.
I can receive FT8 and it decodes it fine.

But, when I transmit on FT8 I just get nothing.
How do I know I'm getting nothing?

I have an SDR receiver on another PC that outputs to WSJTX.
This is how I know I'm transmitting correctly on WSPR as I see my packet's.
I've also used a webSDR and piped it's autio into the PC's WSJTX and saw myself there on WSPR - so I have 2 verified sources that I'm transmitting.

Other things tried:

Loaded WSJTX 2.4 on 1 laptop
Loaded WSJTX 2.2.1 on another laptop

Both talk to the 705 without issue (passed the CAT and PTT text in the software)
I even changed the CI-V address on the 705 from A4 to 94 and selected IC-7300 as my rig.
BOTH laptop's send and receive WSPR without issue.
So, whatever is wrong seems to specific to my FT8 config.

This has got to be something simple - I just can't find it....

Thanks!!

Brian

Pa3gcu

Hi Brian.
I have a IC705 i can assure you that i have no problems. I must presume that you are using windows, quite possably you need to configure your windows sound settings as described in the documentation from wsjtx.
If you require my configuration drop me a mail.
Regards Richard PA3GCU.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 25 jul. 2021 om 20:41 heeft kk6bdf@gmail.com het volgende geschreven:

[...]

All it took was a pack of cigarettes, a bottle of bourbon, a blow torch and a hammer - but I finally got it!!

I had to adjust the power out (I was maxed) and adjust the TX and RX settings from 1500 Hz to 1000Hz and I see me!!!!!

Now, let's see if anyone talks back (lol)

Thanks all!!

William Smith

LOL! And congrats!

I'm hoping the audio frequency was a red herring, you should be able to use any (unoccupied, see the waterfall) frequency between 200 and 4000(*) Hz.

Hope to see you on 40M FT8!

73, Willie N1JBJ

(*) Depends on your audio bandwidth, but see the various tutorials on how to set all the filters as wide as possible, disable any audio processing in Windows and your rig, and use Split or Fake-It mode.