Ten-Tec Jupiter rig control error after a long period of normal operating #Cat_RigControl #Ten-Tec

Tony SANTORO

My installation consists of a Ten-Tech 538 Jupiter, SignaLink USB interface with rig control cable and a Windows 10 HP Laptop. Initially I set the Rig setting to Ten-Tec TT-538 with split operation. After a week or so, I now get the following popup rig control error message every 10 seconds or so.
Hamlib error: Invalid configuration
network.c(241):network_open return(-2)
iofunc.c(176):port_open return(-2)
rig.c(773):rig_open return(-2) while opening connection to rig
Timestamp: 2021-07-16T20:12:20.974Z

Also, I lose the frequency drop down list. However: I can get the application to run by setting the rig to none, VOX operation. I tried installing with user and admin privileges. Any help is appreciated.
Tony , WA3TR

Michael Black

What version of WSJTX?
Is this only happening you transmit?

You say "SignaLink USB interface with rig control cable" but I hope you mean one cable for the SignaLink and one cable for CAT control?

Can you provide a snapshot of your WSJTX rig setup screen:?

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, July 22, 2021, 05:40:00 PM CDT, Tony SANTORO <pcsantoro@...> wrote:

My installation consists of a Ten-Tech 538 Jupiter, SignaLink USB interface with rig control cable and a Windows 10 HP Laptop. Initially I set the Rig setting to Ten-Tec TT-538 with split operation. After a week or so, I now get the following popup rig control error message every 10 seconds or so.
Hamlib error: Invalid configuration
network.c(241):network_open return(-2)
iofunc.c(176):port_open return(-2)
rig.c(773):rig_open return(-2) while opening connection to rig
Timestamp: 2021-07-16T20:12:20.974Z

Also, I lose the frequency drop down list. However: I can get the application to run by setting the rig to none, VOX operation. I tried installing with user and admin privileges. Any help is appreciated.
Tony , WA3TR

Tony SANTORO

Mike:

Appreciate the quick response:

1 - I have a Standard SignaLink install, Laptop usb cable to the back of the Signalink and a cable from the SignaLink to the back of the TenTech Jupiter.

2 - The WSJT-x version is V2..4.0 c19d62

3 - See attached screen shots..

4 - It doesn't matter which rig I select, none of them work.  If I select none, VOX that is the only option that works..

Brgds..
Tony , WA3TRA

On 07/22/2021 6:55 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

The SignaLink does not provide CAT control -- only audio.
You need an RS232/DB9 to USB cable like this

You might find this of use as this operator found had to reduce audio level.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, July 22, 2021, 06:54:56 PM CDT, Tony SANTORO <pcsantoro@...> wrote:

[...]

Reino Talarmo

Hi Mike and Tony,

Mike you may have taken a wrong link for the USB to RS-232 cable. I think something like

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Serial-Adapter-RS232/dp/B00J4N9T9C should be needed.

73, Reino OH3mA

[...]

Bob McGraw - K4TAX

Using only the Signalink you will not have CAT control.   The Signalink handles only audio to/from radio/computer, but does provide a hard PTT command when the PTT LED on the Signalink is illuminated.  These signals are handled by the multipin cable between the Signalink and the ACC connector on the back of the Jupiter.    The VOX should be OFF on the radio.

As to CAT control, you will need an RS-232 to USB  converter cable.  Be sure it has the FTDI chipset and not a cheaper clone which may or may not work reliably. You will end up with two cables to the computer USB ports.   One from the Signalink and one from the Jupiter.

The manual for the Signalink has the information for internal jumper settings.  The manual for the Jupiter has the information for the ACC connector functions.  See page 2-9 section 2.6.4 for Digital operation and figure 1-4 for the DIN plug connections.

73
Bob, K4TAX

Tony SANTORO

Thanks Bob for the feedback.  I agree with all of your recommendations.  Do you have a link to a good rs-232 adapter ?  Once I add this cable, should I be able to select the Jupiter rig in WSJT-x or am I stuck with the "none" selection ?

As for the CAT control, I found the detail in the SignaLink manual re the CAT control.

Tony, WA3TRA

On 07/23/2021 12:19 PM Bob McGraw - K4TAX <rmcgraw@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony et al:

Yes, I purchased my RS-232 to USB converter cable from  RT Systems being their model number USB-RTS03. You will need to add a USB to USB extension cable as well.

Yes, in the WSJT-X application, select Jupiter 538 and select either Rig or Fake It for the SPLIT setting.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 7/23/2021 11:29 AM, Tony SANTORO wrote:
[...]

Team:

Appreciate al the feedback.  I was able to resolve the issue by installing the RT-Systems USB-64 - RS-232 to USB cable.  However: with very little setup instructions(that I have found) I will be posting my findings, setup and instructions on the August eNews letter of the NFARL.org website.
See eNEWS Index - NFARL

Brgds..