Trying to get Map65 v3 going #map65

James C. Hall, MD WB4YDL

Well I finally got a little time to download the rc that includes Map65 v3 in order to re-kindle my interest in EME. I want to try the new Q65 mode. (I also need South America to finish WAC)

I have been using my antennas on LEO sats (added a 432 MHz antenna on the cross boom that I had before for satellites) and loving the new paradigm of using a SDR receiver direct as a “2nd radio” in SatPC32. I use an Airspy R2. It’s very cool to be able to see the receive passband on SDR Console v3 and use your mouse wheel to fine tune on a chosen signal. You have to use a virtual com port “cable” to get this all to work and that’s something new for me - and was tough to understand at first.

So now I’m trying to get this to work with Map65. I can’t seem to directly choose something like Airspy, although I did see the Funcube dongle + (which I also have). Do I need to use a ‘middle program’ like SDR Console to connect the two ? I saw the Linrad stuff and that’s a non-starter with me. Before, I just had a connection to a receive port I added to the back of my FT-847. My antennas are simple - a pair of KLM 13B2’s.

If I need to post this to the moon net forum, let me know.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Bill Somerville

On 17/07/2021 02:01, James C. Hall, MD wrote:
[...]

Hi Jamie,

MAP65 requires I/Q data at 96,000 Sa/s, either one I/Q pair for single polarization or two synchronized I/Q pairs (must be interleaved) for polarization diversity reception. Alternatively there is a dedicated UDP network protocol that Linrad uses to pass I/Q data to a client, that too is supported by MAP65.

So if your SDR console application is capable of outputting I/Q data at 96,000 Sa/s you can feed that to MAP65 via an audio loopback connection like VB Cable or VAC, you may also have some success letting Windows or the loopback application resample the I/Q data to 96,000 Sa/s but that may be somewhat limiting and certainly cannot increase the bandwidth if the input rate is less than 96,000 Sa/s.

As you note, the FCD+ is supported, note that can provide 96,000 Sa/s I/Q data directly with only a small application  (fqthid) to set the LO frequency of the FCD+. Note that the newer FCD Pro+ has a 192,000 Sa/s I?Q output rate, I guess it will work but will get down-sampled to 96,000 Sa/s by Windows or the audio loopback application.

Note that using Linrad to provide the I/Q feed(s) to MAP65 has one significant benefit as Linrad has an excellent noise-blanker implementation.

Alan G4ZFQ

Note that the newer FCD Pro+ has a 192,000 Sa/s I?Q output rate, I guess it will work but will get down-sampled to 96,000 Sa/s by Windows or the audio loopback application.
Bill,

If this concerns anybody there is firmware for the Pro+ for 48ksps and 96ksps.
I've seen it recently, still somewhere on the FCD pages.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Amos Sobel 4X4MF

Alan

Your hint is very interesting for me.

Is there a documented way of how to use the FCD Pro+ with MAP65 v3 and dual polarization?

Amos 4X4MF

Note that the newer FCD Pro+ has a 192,000 Sa/s I?Q output rate, I
guess it will work but will get down-sampled to
96,000 Sa/s by Windows or the audio loopback application.
Bill,

If this concerns anybody there is firmware for the Pro+ for 48ksps and
96ksps.
I've seen it recently, still somewhere on the FCD pages.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Is there a documented way of how to use the FCD Pro+ with MAP65 v3 and dual polarization?
Amos,

Sorry, I have two Pro+ but do not work EME.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

James C. Hall, MD WB4YDL

Thanks Bill for your reply. Interesting stuff.

Looking around Airspy and the internet, I’m not finding a console program in the same vein as that little one with Funcube dongle. It sorta defaults to SDR#. There is an ExtIO app for other programs (but not Map65). I’ll look around - maybe SDR# outputs at the required I/Q sample rate and I could use an VAC from there (never tried that - but I’m willing).

I’ll dig deeper and get back when I find something. If I have to, I can always put the FCD+ back in line.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

On Jul 17, 2021, at 5:24 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@classdesign.com> wrote:

[...]

let me clarify a couple of things.

The qthid application is not an SDR console, all it does is allow the user to configure the parameters of the FCD including the LO frequency. MAP65 accepts the raw I/Q output of the FCD and the qthid application is not involved in that path. The qthid application is designed to be launched by applications like MAP65 to adjust the FCD parameters.

ExtIO is an API (Application Programming Interface) designed by the author of Winrad, and also adopted by HDSDR and others. It intent is to abstract away the differences between SDR hardware so that SRD console applications can talk to a common interface. Providers of SDR hardware might also provide an implementation of ExtIO for their devices so existing SDR consoles should be able to talk to their SDRs.

I don't know SDR# that well but if it is capable of delivering a 96,000 Sa/s I/Q stream to an audio device; then configured like that and using something like VAC would allow it to be used with MAP65 in single polarization mode. Polarization diversity via that route is unlikely as I doubt SDR# is able to provide the necessary dual channel I/Q synchronized output delivered as a 4-channel audio output (synchronized and interleaved), for a start it would require SDR# to control two receivers both sharing a common clock input (synchronized).

On Jul 17, 2021, at 5:24 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, poking around on the Airspy groups.io forum, I discovered that indeed SDR# does allow RAW I/Q output at 96k. The problem (at least in September) was getting a bandwidth higher than 32k. Max N5NHJ (I8NHJ) was attempting to do exactly what I am attempting. He was using an Airspy R2 with SDR# outputting via VAC to MAP65.

I don’t know if he was successful.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

On Jul 17, 2021, at 11:21 AM, James C. Hall, MD <heartdoc@nwtcc.com> wrote:

[...]

Yes, thanks for that clarification, Bill. I’m just getting started and now understand more than I did ! HI

I wouldn’t need polarization diversity (yet) - I just have a couple KLM 13B2’s. :)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

On Jul 17, 2021, at 11:37 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Lance Collister, W7GJ

Hi Jamie,

Please let me know if you find a way to use your Airspy R2 with SDR Console and MAP65! We obviously have much more bandwidth capability than 96 kHz, but I have no idea how to couple this to MAP65 using my VAC :-(

GL and TNX!  VY 73, Lance

On 7/17/2021 15:58:16, James C. Hall, MD wrote:
[...]

I have been using my antennas on LEO sats (added a 432 MHz antenna on the cross boom that I had before for satellites) and loving the new paradigm of using a SDR receiver direct as a “2nd radioâ€&#65533; in SatPC32. I use an Airspy R2. It’s very cool to be able to see the receive passband on SDR Console v3 and use your mouse wheel to fine tune on a chosen signal. You have to use a virtual com port “cableâ€&#65533; to get this all to work and that’s something new for me - and was tough to understand at first.

[...]

Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11 - 6m DXCC #815 - FFMA #7

Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
page (above)!

James C. Hall, MD WB4YDL

**** UPDATE ****

I managed to get SDR# and MAP65v3 playing together !!! I updated SDR# to the latest version (the one that requires .Net 5), read the manual all the way, and set it up. The Airspy R2 is chosen, keep the sampling rate high (10 MSPS), mode RAW. You need to install VAC and set the Audio out to the input of the VAC. The sampling rate of the audio is defaulted to 48000 Sa/s - you have to edit the config file in its folder to change it to 96000 Sa/s. Set gain as Linear and mid-range - just to get a mild pop up of the noise floor. Then turn the volume slider waaaay down - almost mute - so as not to overload MAP65.

I had to play with the settings a bit on MAP65 to get the reasonable blue waterfall. After pointing the antennas to the moon, I easily decoded OZ1LPR making a JT65 QSO. In fact, I turned on the amplifier and was ready to pounce, but … the com ports top out at 13 !! I need com 20 for PTT. Oh well, it’s beta SW, so I’m happy so far.

I did email Max and received a reply that he was unable to get this far back in September. I replied to him my findings thus far. Right now, he’s using SDR-C or SDR# and a VAC to feed WSJT-X. I may have to try this. :)

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

On Jul 17, 2021, at 11:54 AM, James C. Hall, MD <heartdoc@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ll check into it, Lance and let you know. I believe I saw a post somewhere from Simon Brown that it can’t be done with v3 … at this time.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

On Jul 17, 2021, at 8:10 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ <w7gj@bigskyspaces.com> wrote:

[...]

I hope it is incorporated into a future version!  GL and VY 73, Lance