locked Hamlib #IssueReport

Bill Somerville

On 16/07/2021 13:58, JR Riner wrote:
Very newbie here.  I keep getting rig control & hamlib error.  Windows says my ci-v cable installed correctly.The CAT PTT method is grayed out.  I read somewhere about installing hamlib.  I have ready every thread about this on the group.  It sounds very complex to a newbie.  Any temps on where to start are appreciated.  Windows 7 if that matters.
73, ke4pmp
OM,

I'm not sure how you expect any help when you give so few details of the issue you are reporting.

Are you running WSJT-X, if so then which version?

What rig do you have, and how is it connected to your PC for CAT control?

What is the exact error message you get, including details?

A name would be nice too?

Gene Horr

Start with answering Bill's questions and everyone can work from there.

The "complexity" comes from the versatility.  You can run the software on different computers, with different OSs, with different ADC/DAC hardware - both internal and external, with different radio control (everything from TCP/IP over the internet to no control at all other than PTT), and all this to almost any radio made in the past 40 years or even older if it is capable of acceptable frequency stability.

That is pretty darn amazing.

But the cost of this is that there is no one setup that works for everyone.  Even "PTT" has a variety of ways to accomplish this.  So, yes, as a beginner it can seem a bit overwhelming at first.  I suspect most who get it working on the first try are mostly because of random luck.

So stick with it.  There will be some hair pulling in frustration at first but once you get it working things become much easier on the "inside the shack" side.  Then you only need to fight transmission line problems, antenna problems, ionosphere conditions, ....

What?  Do you want to be bored or something?

73,
Gene
NG1H