Debugging tools #general

AB2ZY

The fellows in the JTSDK group suggested asking this sort of question here.

What tool(s) are needed to debug WSJTX?  Attempting to do it from within Qt Creator isn't working for me.  Sticking message boxes in various places is not really a substitute for a symbolic debugger and single step.

Any pointers appreciated.

Al
AB2ZY

Bill Somerville

On 14/07/2021 01:45, AB2ZY wrote:
The fellows in the JTSDK group suggested asking this sort of question here.

What tool(s) are needed to debug WSJTX?  Attempting to do it from within Qt Creator isn't working for me.  Sticking message boxes in various places is not really a substitute for a symbolic debugger and single step.

Any pointers appreciated.

Al
AB2ZY
Al,

you can use the same tools and techniques as you would with any other C++/C/Fortran code compiled with the GNU GCC tools. that means using diagnostic prints to the console, maybe message boxes but they are best suited for user interaction, the gdb debugger (lldb on macOS as there the C and C++ code is compiled using Clang/Clang++), and so on. QtCreator (in a MinGW install of Qt on MS Windows) uses gdb (or lldb on macOS) so it works just the same.

AB2ZY

I wasn't initially able to get Qt Creator to work.; It would say it is connected but then  complain that it couldn't talk to QBD after 20 sec.  After some experimentation I found that I needed to run WSJTX from the build directory and not the install folder.

Al