Switching between FT8 and FT4 #decode

Rory Bowers

In WSJT-X ver 2.5.0-rc1 I was in FT8 on 14074 and switched to FT4 on 14080.  After about 12 passes it was obvious that it was not decoding.  I have noticed this before and was able to duplicate it today.
Rory, K5CKS

n0dpr@comcast.net

Same here

73
Brad
NØDPR

On Jul 13, 2021, at 7:44 AM, Rory Bowers <k6cks01@gmail.com> wrote:

In WSJT-X ver 2.5.0-rc1 I was in FT8 on 14074 and switched to FT4 on 14080. After about 12 passes it was obvious that it was not decoding. I have noticed this before and was able to duplicate it today.
Rory, K5CKS
<wsjt-x 01.jpg>
<wsjt-x 2.jpg>

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB

I believe the latest test release is still 2.5.0 rc3. Give it a try and read the release docs. Things always change in a new RC, and widely reported bugs do also get fixed between release candidate versions.

--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

Brian

Same for me during field day on v2.3.1.  I had to restart WSJT-X to get FT4 to start decoding.
I will let you fine folks test on the RCs.  I prefer to wait for the GA release.

--
regards,
Brian

Juergen DL4YCD

Also the same for me (as reported separately). The screenshot with DECODE ON and empty ACTIVITY and RX window is the same as I see on my screen. Release is 2.4.0 and also older releases had the same problems.
regards
Juergen
DL4YCD

Martin G0HDB

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 01:44 PM, Rory Bowers wrote:
In WSJT-X ver 2.5.0-rc1 I was in FT8 on 14074 and switched to FT4 on 14080.  After about 12 passes it was obvious that it was not decoding.  I have noticed this before and was able to duplicate it today.
Rory, K5CKS
Hi Rory, were you using different configurations for switching between FT8 and FT4 or just using the 'Mode' menu?

I've got separate configurations for FT8 and FT4 (and for numerous other operating scenarios) and have never had a decoding problem after switching from the FT8 config to the FT4 config (or vice versa, or between any other pair of configs) irrespective of which GA or RC release I'm using.  I've just verified that there's no issue when I run v2.5.0-rc3 (on a 64bit Win10 PC).

You might want to try setting up separate configs for FT8 and FT4 and seeing if your problem of no FT4 decoding still persists when you switch from the former to the latter,

--
Martin G0HDB

Brian

Thanks Martin for the suggestion.  I used Mode switching when I encountered this defect.  With profile switching, I have noticed that wsjtx "seems" to stop and restart again.  This mirrors my experience of having to terminate wsjtx and then restart it to get FT4 to start decoding.  My logging programs will terminate their linkage to the UDP feed when WSJTX terminates or I do a profile switch.  I would like to avoid this extra work when I mode switch.  During Field Day operations, I am switching every hour or so.  I would prefer not to create a profile to switch modes given wsjtx provides a mechanism to perform mode switches on the fly.  I don't use FT4 often enough to warrant a separate profile.

I should mention that mode switching from FT8 --> FT4 the first time seemed to work fine.  Then back to FT8 also worked fine.  If I then went back to FT4, sometimes the decoding would stop and sometimes it would start.  I didn't perform exhaustive testing as it was Field Day and restarting the app in a hurry was good enough.

P.S.  I use Raspberry Pi OS (Buster) on a RPI 3B+ and wsjtx 2.3.1.

--
regards,
Brian