Irrecoverable network error situation #EnhancementReqest

groups@...

My logbook is runs on a second pc.

I've changed the name of the pc with my logbook and correctly get the error messages shown. Unfortunately there's no recovery situation and the "retry" crashed WSJTX. The ideal recovery position would be to go to the reporting settings similar to a disconnected CAT control.

I recovered with an entry in the hosts file.

73
Roger
GW4HZA

Bill Somerville

On 27/06/2021 02:39, groups@thebluecastle.org.uk wrote:
My logbook is runs on a second pc.

I've changed the name of the pc with my logbook and correctly get the error messages shown.  Unfortunately there's no recovery situation and the "retry" crashed WSJTX.  The ideal recovery position would be to go to the reporting settings similar to a disconnected CAT control.

I recovered with an entry in the hosts file.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
Hi Roger,

if you do not have a local DNS server to translate host names to IP addresses you must use IP addresses to refer to remote servers in WSJT-X. It looks like you are using some sort of MS Windows network sharing, that does not provide IP address lookup as far as I know.

groups@...

On 27/06/2021 08:45, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 27/06/2021 02:39, groups@thebluecastle.org.uk wrote:
My logbook is runs on a second pc.

I've changed the name of the pc with my logbook and correctly get the error messages shown.  Unfortunately there's no recovery situation and the "retry" crashed WSJTX.  The ideal recovery position would be to go to the reporting settings similar to a disconnected CAT control.

I recovered with an entry in the hosts file.

73
Roger
GW4HZA
Hi Roger,
if you do not have a local DNS server to translate host names to IP addresses you must use IP addresses to refer to remote servers in WSJT-X. It looks like you are using some sort of MS Windows network sharing, that does not provide IP address lookup as far as I know.
Hi Bill

I do have a local DNS server which would normally provide the IP address. As I said I changed the name of the PC which provides my logbook facilities which is why the look up failed. I don't use any MS windows sharing here, certainly not on the two computers in question with use two different flavours of Ubuntu.

My local DNS server for the WSJTX computer is provided by my internet provider's modem and I can see that it is functioning correctly.

The problem as I see it is the error handling within WSJTX when the lookup fails. In this case it's failing because the computer name with my log book has changed and the DNS look up correctly fails.

73
Roger
GW4HZA