(K)Ubuntu's slow UI response #linux #wsjt-x

Hans Fong

Compiled WSJT-X from the latest source code on a Kubuntu 20.04 machine, connected to my (for me new) TS-2000. Everything works, except for the delay when e.g. double clicking a call in the band activity column, saving a log entry, selecting an audio device, etc. The entire WSJT-X window freezes for at least a couple of seocnds after which operation resumes as normal. Delay times differ from 2 seconds (FT-4) to 7.5 seconds (FT-8), 9.5 seconds (saving a log entry). I don't have the impression that the program stops working, it's just a delay in the UI.

I also tried other versions, like the stock one from the Kubuntu 20.04 (2.1.12), the lastest deb 2.4.0 and some of the beta versions, but they all suffer from the same delay. So I guess it is a (K)Ubuntu thing, but what? The command line doesn't give me any verbose messages.

Any hints or tips welcome. Been searching the web, but it seems no one has this problem, as I haven't been able to find any reference to this phenomenon.
73 de Hans
BX2ABT.com

Bill Somerville

On 22/06/2021 14:16, Hans Fong wrote:
[...]

Hi Hans,

you are the first to report that issue as far as I know. Other than making sure your distribution packages are all up to date I don't have any suggestions.

Hans Fong

Hello Bill,

I guess it's time for a fresh install on my main PC. I tried another PC with a distro called DragonOS and there is worked fine, although I recall when I had Kubunu installed on that machine WSJT-X also had those delays.

Thanks and 73 de Hans

BX2ABT

On 6/23/21 5:44 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
[...]

It's a Kubuntu thing. I installed DragonOS today which is Lubuntu 20.04 and WSJT-X worked fine. When I switched from Lubuntu to Kubuntu with tasksel it slowed down WSJT-X. I played around with LXQT tonight and liked it, so I'll be switching from KDE/Plasme to LXQT. Problem avoided, not solved, but equally happy. Cheers,

Hans

BX2ABT.com