#Q65 Sending 60 rather than 73 #Q65

Jim @ K5ND

I just worked WB8LYJ/R in FM25 on 6 meters using Q65 30A. After the RRR was received, WSJT sent "WB8LYJ/R 60" rather than the two call signs and 73. Even using the free text message, it would not send WB8LYJ/R. Instead I had to enter WB8LYJ K5ND 73 which it did send.

I was using version 2.4. WB8LYJ/R told me he was using version 2.5.

What's up? Rover curse?

Thanks for any insight.

73, Jim @ K5ND and sometimes K5ND/R

Joe

Hi Jim,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 11:05 AM, Jim @ K5ND wrote:
I just worked WB8LYJ/R in FM25 on 6 meters using Q65 30A. After the RRR was received, WSJT sent "WB8LYJ/R 60" rather than the two call signs and 73. Even using the free text message, it would not send WB8LYJ/R. Instead I had to enter WB8LYJ K5ND 73 which it did send.

I was using version 2.4. WB8LYJ/R told me he was using version 2.5.

What's up? Rover curse?

Thanks for any insight.
Have you done anything to try to reproduce this issue?  I have not been able to reproduce it here.

"WB8LYJ/R K5ND 73"  is a perfectly legitimate message, and as far as I can see it is generated, transmitted, and received correctly just like any other valid message in the "77-bit" WSJT-X modes (FST4, FT4, FT8, and Q65).

Please send us more details, if you believe something is wrong.

                    -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Jim @ K5ND

Hi Joe,

Attached is the screen shot from the original QSO.

After the first three "60" messages, I used free text to send the other messages.

Now when I type in WB8LYJ/R and press "generate std msgs" it shows "WB8LYJ/R 73" in the TX5 message, without my call sign. It then sends "WB8LYJ/R 60"

I've attached that screen shot as well. Hope those images shed some light on what I'm experiencing.

73, Jim @ K5ND

As a point of interest, what is the difference between /R and /M?

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Joe

Hi Jim,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 02:00 PM, Jim @ K5ND wrote:
Hi Joe,

Attached is the screen shot from the original QSO.

After the first three "60" messages, I used free text to send the other messages.

Now when I type in WB8LYJ/R and press "generate std msgs" it shows "WB8LYJ/R 73" in the TX5 message, without my call sign. It then sends "WB8LYJ/R 60"

I've attached that screen shot as well. Hope those images shed some light on what I'm experiencing.

73, Jim @ K5ND
Thanks for the additional information.  I can confirm this is a defect.  It will be fixed in the next release.

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT

Jim @ K5ND

Thanks for the prompt review and response, Joe.

WSJT-X just keeps getting better!

73, Jim @ K5ND

Tony Collett

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 04:50 PM, Joe wrote:
Thanks for the additional information.  I can confirm this is a defect.  It will be fixed in the next release.

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT
Hi Joe
I also managed to invoke this "defect" last night on FT8  using V2.4.0
I manually changed TX5 to say "KV4BV JO02 73" but the actual transmitted message was "KV4BV JO02 60" as seen on my own yellow transmitted message box and by a friend who monitored it being sent on air. Guess I if I had tried to send G4NBS JO02 73 it would have behaved normally?

73
Tony G4NBS

Jim Brown

Neither is a required suffix in US or possessions, but both are legal. US ham licenses are not tied to an operating location, since around the 1970s. The location on our licenses is the location where we guarantee that we can receive mail from the FCC, and calls are arbitrarily assigned on that basis. Before that change, we received a single piece of paper, with a license to operate, and a second license for a station at a specific location. When I moved from West Virginia to Chicago in '64, I got a new piece of paper with W9NEC replacing W8FNI. When I moved from Chicago to California with K9YC as a vanity call I'd obtained while in Chicago, I kept it. Our contest club has at least a dozen members from back east who kept the original calls.

/R is used to indicate either Rover or Repeater, /M for mobile. I almost never sign /6

73, Jim K9YC

On 6/22/2021 12:31 AM, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:
As a point of interest, what is the difference between /R and /M?
73 Phil GM3ZZA
Attached is the screen shot from the original QSO.
After the first three "60" messages, I used free text to send the other messages.
Now when I type in WB8LYJ/R and press "generate std msgs" it shows "WB8LYJ/R 73" in the TX5 message, without my call sign. It then sends "WB8LYJ/R 60"
I've attached that screen shot as well. Hope those images shed some light on what I'm experiencing.
73, Jim @ K5ND
--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Thanks Jim, but what is the difference between Rover and Mobile?

Phil.

--
73 Phil GM3ZZA

Jim Brown

On 6/23/2021 2:01 AM, Philip Rose via groups.io wrote:
Thanks Jim, but what is the difference between Rover and Mobile?
The generally accepted definition of Mobile is that it can be operated in motion. A Rover is generally defined by the rules of contests and/or awards as someone who operates from multiple contest/award entities, but not necessarily mobile. And some VHF contests require an entry to sign /R.

Our four-person contest group that activates counties for 7QP and CQP sets up portable in 6-8 counties during the course of 7QP, sometimes on county lines, and operates mobile between setup locations. Neither of those contests require /M or /R. Here's a set of slides showing our setup and operation several years ago in NV. k9yc.com/7QP.pdf It continues to evolve.

73, Jim K9YC