locked No transmit after some time #FT8

Yvon AE7YD

Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered but search didn't bring it up.
After some time WSJT-X will stop sending audio. That time is variable. If I close the program and restart it, it works again. But after a while it will stop again.
All other functions keep working fine.
The problem is not related with the radio or the PC as I have tried with two different PC (one running Win10  home and the other running Win10 Pro).
I also tried with 4 different radios Omega 900, Elecraft KX2, FTDX10 and DR-4020, same problem.

Thank you for any help.

73, Yvon

Bob G8HGN

Hi Yvon,

There have been several threads on this type of problem. You just need to find the right keywords in search.

However, I had a similar problem a couple of years ago now and it turned out to be related to USB and a HDMI monitor. Apparently HDMI has an interaction with USB and can exhibit these smyptoms.

My cure was to never allow the monitor to sleep by altering the settings in windows(10). Since doing that I haven't had a re-occurance.

This may not be your issue but worth a try if your have HDMI. Otherwise you'll have to trawl the archives for other solutions.

HTH 73 Bob G8HGN

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 at 4:48 AM
From: "Yvon AE7YD " <Yvon@...>
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: [WSJTX] No transmit after some time #FT8
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered but search didn't bring it up.
After some time WSJT-X will stop sending audio. That time is variable. If I close the program and restart it, it works again. But after a while it will stop again.
All other functions keep working fine.
The problem is not related with the radio or the PC as I have tried with two different PC (one running Win10  home and the other running Win10 Pro).
I also tried with 4 different radios Omega 900, Elecraft KX2, FTDX10 and DR-4020, same problem.

Thank you for any help.

73, Yvon

Bill Somerville

On 21/06/2021 04:48, Yvon AE7YD wrote:
Hello,

I apologize if this has already been covered but search didn't bring it up.
After some time WSJT-X will stop sending audio. That time is variable. If I close the program and restart it, it works again. But after a while it will stop again.
All other functions keep working fine.
The problem is not related with the radio or the PC as I have tried with two different PC (one running Win10  home and the other running Win10 Pro).
I also tried with 4 different radios Omega 900, Elecraft KX2, FTDX10 and DR-4020, same problem.

Thank you for any help.

73, Yvon
Hi Yvon,

the issue you describe is often due to MS Windows deciding to power down USB audio devices it thinks are not being used. You must disable the power management options for each USB Hub Device listed in Windows Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" (right-click device, select Properties, then Power Management, and uncheck the allow option).

You also must disable the USB Selective Suspend option in the Windows "Power Options->Change plans settings (on the current plan)->Change Advanced Power Settings" open "USB settings", then "USB selecting suspend setting", and click the "Plugged in" option to select Disabled.

As Bob, G8HGN, points out, there is another issue with HDMI monitor connections. HDMI connections include a USB audio connection which too can be unexpectedly powered down when a screen-saver or power-saver function activates. I don't know of any settings to stop that other than making sure graphics card/chip power management settings for the monitor and screen saver are disabled, YMMV.

The root problem is that USB devices are "hot-pluggable" and adding or removing a device, while the system is running, will cause all other devices to be re-enumerated, this can change device identities but Windows does not inform applications using them that they have been shuffled.

Note this issue affects audio devices but not virtual serial ports like those often used for CAT control, virtual serial ports over USB connections seem to be capable of blocking such power saving options, presumably because they are one-to-one connections and Windows can be sure when they are in use.

William Smith

Note this can also be triggered by connecting and/or disconnecting from the Windows machine using RDP.

Or, you know, cosmic rays, or phase of the moon.

If you select (File->Settings->Audio->Soundcard) another device, click OK, select your radio, click OK, then it starts working again.

Sure would be nice to have the program detect that decoding had stopped (waterfall stopped, left and right windows not updating, but green status bar continuing to cycle) and reconnect to the sound card. The I could leave my computer spotting to pskreporter when it's not in use. Or maybe there's a way for the program to select the sound card by name instead of by enumeration-pointer (or whatever), but that's past my expertise.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jun 21, 2021, at 6:02 AM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
[...]
the issue you describe is often due to MS Windows deciding to power down USB audio devices it thinks are not being used. You must disable the power management options for each USB Hub Device listed in Windows Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" (right-click device, select Properties, then Power Management, and uncheck the allow option).
Note that this is _EVERY_USB_DEVICE_IN_THE_SYSTEM_, not just your sound card, your unused BlueTooth interface going to sleep will cause enumeration, and might move your sound card...
I thought I had done this, but just went through them all, and not _all_ of them were set right. 🤷‍♂️

You also must disable the USB Selective Suspend option in the Windows "Power Options->Change plans settings (on the current plan)->Change Advanced Power Settings" open "USB settings", then "USB selecting suspend setting", and click the "Plugged in" option to select Disabled.
This was also not done on my machine, though it is now.

As Bob, G8HGN, points out, there is another issue with HDMI monitor connections. HDMI connections include a USB audio connection which too can be unexpectedly powered down when a screen-saver or power-saver function activates. I don't know of any settings to stop that other than making sure graphics card/chip power management settings for the monitor and screen saver are disabled, YMMV.
There are monitor/display settings in the power plan, I've set all mine to no power saving or maximum performance

The root problem is that USB devices are "hot-pluggable" and adding or removing a device, while the system is running, will cause all other devices to be re-enumerated, this can change device identities but Windows does not inform applications using them that they have been shuffled.

Note this issue affects audio devices but not virtual serial ports like those often used for CAT control, virtual serial ports over USB connections seem to be capable of blocking such power saving options, presumably because they are one-to-one connections and Windows can be sure when they are in use.
Thank you Bill!

73, Willie N1JBJ

Yvon AE7YD

Thank you Bob,

On one of my computers, the Win10 Home it is already set to not go in sleep mode and the Win10 Pro which is my work computer doesn't go in sleep mode because I am always using it.
However I'll set up this one too to not go in sleep mode.

Any suggestions on which key words to search for as my search didn't return anything?

73, Yvon AE7YD

Sent: Monday, June 21, 2021 at 4:48 AM
From:
 "Yvon AE7YD " <Yvon@...>
To:
 main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject:
 [WSJTX] No transmit after some time #FT8

--
Best regards,
AE7YD

Yvon AE7YD

Thank you Bill,

this makes sense and I'll try it. I'll report later if it did solve the problem.

73, Yvon AE7YD

Monday, June 21, 2021, 3:02:54 AM, you wrote:

[...]

Brian Stucker

I've also seen WSJT-X stop producing TX audio on 2.4.0. I have the USB sleep turned off, which did help. It's an odd issue because my particular PC (Win10, up to date) has no physical connection to the rig. The audio has to get as far as the SmartSDR DAX process running on the same PC.

--
Best regards,
AE7YD

Yvon AE7YD

I followed all the instructions received and now it is working without power output interruptions.

Thank you to everybody.

73, Yvon AE7YD

--
Best regards,