ALL.TXT Append Error #FT8 #IssueReport

Jeff Young

I keep getting this error whale running FT8. "Cannot open C:/Users/…./WJT-X/ALL.TXT for append: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have excluded ALL.TXT from scanning and turned off indexing in properties.

Running Win 10, WSJT-X Version 2.3.1

Bill Somerville

On 17/06/2021 17:20, Jeff Young wrote:
I keep getting this error whale running FT8. "Cannot open C:/Users/…./WJT-X/ALL.TXT for append: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have excluded ALL.TXT from scanning and turned off indexing in properties.

Running Win 10, WSJT-X Version 2.3.1

Hi Jeff,

are you running any other ham radio software that might possibly be trying to scan the WSJT-X ADIF log for QSOs?

Dave Garber

if you open the log folder in wsjt, does the all.txt show in there with the other files.
is the folder you state a typo    folder ..../wjt-x/...
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 4:14 PM Jeff Young <kb3hf@...> wrote:
I keep getting this error whale running FT8. "Cannot open C:/Users/…./WJT-X/ALL.TXT for append: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I have excluded ALL.TXT from scanning and turned off indexing in properties.

Running Win 10, WSJT-X Version 2.3.1

Jeff Young

Bill:

I am running wsjt-x, jt-alert and N3FJP AC Log.

Jeff

Jeff Young

Further investigation. The error window appears as the latest decodes are being posted to the left window. I have removed McAfee LiveSafe from the computer and am only using the windows 10 built in security. I have excluded the entire folder where the logs files exist in the appdata/local/WSJT-X folder. I am only running Version 2.3.1 without JT-Alert and ACLog. Sometimes the error windows are 18 screens deep.

Alan N5NA

I was getting this error as well.  I found my ALL.txt file was 68 MB so I renamed it and let WSJT-X create a new ALL.txt file.  Since doing that I haven't had any more errors.

William Smith

When my ALL.TXT exceeds 100M I usually split it up, but only to make searching easier. I've had it at least to 279M without problems, so it's likely you corrupted something than the file got too big.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Jun 21, 2021, at 2:42 PM, Alan N5NA <alan.n5na@gmail.com> wrote:

I was getting this error as well. I found my ALL.txt file was 68 MB so I renamed it and let WSJT-X create a new ALL.txt file. Since doing that I haven't had any more errors.

Alan N5NA

Ok. The other possibility on my error was a backup was being executed at the time the append operation happened and causing the error about the file being in use. Starting a new file speeded up the backup.