Map65 3.0 some presentation issues #map65

K5DOG

A couple notes about how Map65 3.0 presents information.
In "Time Hack.png" the time hack for sequences between the top of the hour and 10 mins after the hour is missing a leading zero on the minutes.

In "Messages1.png" presentation of DF is not calculated right.  I would think that DF should always be between -500 and +500
In "Messages3.png" after selecting 070 and decoding there the correct DF of 070 +65 is shown in the main decode window.  If I then move off of 070 and decode again, both outcomes are presented in the Messages window.

In "Messages2.png" shows what happens if the Messages window is narrowed to save screen real estate.  The colons roll over to the next line, wasting a line and visually confusing.  Do we really need the colon at the end of a line ?

Finally, if Tol is set to 1000, Map65 crashes on decode with "Subprocess failed with Exit code 2"  It is a Fortran runtime error.  I can't copy and paste it, but you should be able to reproduce it easily.

K5DOG

With some additional activity, I see now that the colon in the Message window (Message3.png) is an indicator of Q65 decodes.
Perhaps a color change could be substituted.

Thanks

Joe

Hi Steve,

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:36 PM, K5DOG wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your report on MAP65.

1. Omission of leading zeros when needed in HH:MM display on waterfall was fixed some time ago, but after the RC1 release.

2. DF has a useful meaning when the Tx audio frequency is fixed, as was traditional in JT65 mode.  It's not very useful (and not even well defined) in more recent WSJT-X usage where the Tx audio frequency can vary over a wide range.  Currently in MAP65 we define "Freq" as the integer kHz cursor setting on the upper waterfall, and DF (for Q65 decodes) as the integer Hz frequency at which the signal appears in the lower ("zoomed") waterfall.

3. Yes, by executing the decoder multiple times you can get multiple decodes appearing in the Messages window.  This is one of the ways in which MAP65 is (and will remain) less "polished" than WSJT-X.  As mentioned elsewhere, our development efforts in this area will be concentrated on bringing wideband decoding into WSJT-X.

4. To avoid line wrapping, don't make the window too narrow to display a full line.  The colon ":" denotes a Q65 decode, as described in the documentation.

5. You comment about setting Tol = 1000 is not strictly accurate, but yes: it's possible to set some user parameters in such a way that MAP65 will crash.  You will find the next release more bullet-proof in this respect.

  -- 73, Joe, K1JT