locked #help #TechnicalHelpQuestion

wd4lwd <wd4lwd@...>

Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..

Marc
Wd4lwd

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

Robie - AJ4F

Marc,

I believe this is a windows setting issue.

Go to windows settings/ Time & Language/ Date & Time

You will be able to select your time zone there.

Robie - AJ4F

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 2:36 PM wd4lwd via groups.io <wd4lwd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..

Marc
Wd4lwd

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

 A Signalink is basically a sound card that can trigger PTT, nothing more.    What the program error is about is CAT control.

What rig you do have, does it have a rig to computer capability?   Knowing what you're using for a radio would help.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/7/2021 12:46 PM, wd4lwd via groups.io wrote:

Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..

Marc
Wd4lwd

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

Jon Ermels

73 de NØIGU Jon

On Monday, June 7, 2021, 05:29:53 PM CDT, neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[...]

703-618-4115

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

wd4lwd <wd4lwd@...>

Rig yeasu ft 840.  Older rig.   Had this working the computer power supply went bad (laptop) so replaced laptop.  Now trying to reload all software.

Took out my radio from config and no longer get error msg.
Gotta fix the time, as its 4 hrs ahead of computer actually time

[...]

Dave Garber

signalink usb or sl1+ does not have CAT.  you must have been using something in addition to signalink to have cat.   normally set ptt to vox, as signalink creates the ptt with a built in vox circuit

the clock being off 4 hours ( wrong time zone) is a windows setting.   click on the clock at the bottom, and adjust time, should send you to a time zone screen

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 3:36 PM wd4lwd via groups.io <wd4lwd=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..

Marc
Wd4lwd

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

Dave Garber

he did mention ft840 Neil

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 6:29 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

Rig ft 840Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but
Mark,

I get error msg "rig control
Unless you have a CAT connection set Radio to "none"

PTT will have to use VOX (if the Signalink has that) or COM port.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Somerville

On 07/06/2021 18:46, wd4lwd via groups.io wrote:

Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..

Marc
Wd4lwd
Hi Marc,

others have addressed the issue about not having a CAT connection to your rig. With respect to the time displayed in WSJT-X, do you realize that WSJT-X uses UTC time, not local time?

wd4lwd <wd4lwd@...>

Bill, thanks for your responce...

1.older radio...no cat control.  Use single link between radio and computer.  Was working until computer went down.  So in a way, I have done this before...just can't remember how.

2. Prior to this install clock, showed my time zone...now its not.  You may have hit that one on the head...

3. I did remove the radio model from the config screen and I have stopped the error msg.   I wonder why...

I'm going to install a program to sink time that was recommended to me.  Will see how that goes.

Hope to report success when I do that...

Boy this is frustrating...

Marc

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

On 07/06/2021 18:46, wd4lwd via groups.io wrote:

> Rig ft 840 Signallink win 10.  Replaced computer and cant get wsjxt to
> work... I have gotten it to recieve but I get error msg "rig control
> error" then it asks if I want to reconfig the radio interface.  I dont
> know what its asking me to do.  I do notice the the frequency orange
> box is blank and the time zone is 4 hours off.  I cant find anywhere
> to set the time zone.  I know these are very basic setup problems, but
> I need help.  I'm already bald and don't have anymore hair to pull out..
>
> Marc
> Wd4lwd

Hi Marc,

others have addressed the issue about not having a CAT connection to
your rig. With respect to the time displayed in WSJT-X, do you realize
that WSJT-X uses UTC time, not local time?

neil_zampella <neilz@...>

Um ... the WSJT-X display always shows UTC, never local time.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/7/2021 6:10 PM, wd4lwd via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

Hmmm:  "Gotta fix the time, as its 4 hrs ahead of computer actually time" pretty well verifies that the computer clock is already set to Z time. There's nothing wrong with that, we hams should always log using Z time.  It's not the hours difference from either Z or your local time zone (EDT for you) that matters, it's the inaccuracy of the seconds that will cause WSJT to not decode incoming signals.  Your computer clock difference absolutely MUST be within 2 seconds; under 1 second error is the target, and a few tenths is ideal.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - NNV5BH

Most manufacturers don't like having more than one source of PTT signal into the transceiver.  Either use CAT, the Signalink VOX, or PTT ground via DTR/RTS, but use only one exclusively; DO NOT MIX THEM!   It souinds like you had both CAT and one of the other two wired in, since the problem went away when you stopped using CAT.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

wd4lwd <wd4lwd@...>

No the problem went away when I took the radio model out of the config. From the pull down menu.. I have never used cat.  She won't sit still long enough...and I use vox...

I'm getting closer...I see some incoming signals...

Marc

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.

Most manufacturers don't like having more than one source of PTT signal into the transceiver.  Either use CAT, the Signalink VOX, or PTT ground via DTR/RTS, but use only one exclusively; DO NOT MIX THEM!   It souinds like you had both CAT and one of the other two wired in, since the problem went away when you stopped using CAT.
--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...
in WSJTX@groups.io

Skip <WMMILTON@...>

Go to the web site "Time.is" and sync the computer's time.

WG9O

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[...]

Don't worry.  Just sync. the time
WG9O

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 12:55 PM Skip via groups.io <WMMILTON=GMAIL.COM@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Um ... Time.is does NOT synchronize your computer time, it just tells you how far off from a time standard (like the Naval Observatory's atomic clock) your local computer is.

You need to have something locally to sync your time.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/8/2021 12:43 PM, Skip wrote:

[...]

Mike Koralewski K8VA

Hmmmm.... Has anyone ever told you that  "Time. Is" , is just that.. A time checker.?
It Does NOT sync time.... And cannot sync  time... You wil need a real time sync program.
Windows 10 has one built in..  you need to enable it... But it's well, you know Microsoft....
Mienberg is good, but it is a resource hog. It constantly plunks your computer to check and sync.
Dimension 4 is good, but you need to manually request a sync, once in a while.
Take your pick... There are others...
--
73 Mike 73

Bob Lewis

I used Dimension 4 for several years. It can be set to automatically check time at selected intervals. I have since moved to Meinberg because it works by gradually adjusting the clock speed to synchronize the time rather than making sudden correction jumps when it checks the time like Dimension 4 and others.