WSJTX terminates on UBUNTU 20.04 #wsjt-x-crashing


Ron McMurdy
 

Both downloaded version and compiled on computer crash after approx 20 minutes with the following error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::wrapexcept<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::conversion_error>'
  what():  Could not convert character encoding
Aborted (core dumped)


Worked fine on Ubuntu 18.04

Thanks


Bill Somerville
 

On 04/06/2021 01:16, Ron McMurdy wrote:
Both downloaded version and compiled on computer crash after approx 20 minutes with the following error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::wrapexcept<boost::log::v2_mt_posix::conversion_error>'
  what():  Could not convert character encoding
Aborted (core dumped)


Worked fine on Ubuntu 18.04

Thanks

Hi Ron,

please report back with the output of the following command?

locale -a | grep en_US

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Ron McMurdy
 

en_US.utf8

73
Ron


Bill Somerville
 

On 04/06/2021 14:09, Ron McMurdy wrote:
en_US.utf8

73
Ron
Hi Ron,

thanks for that, unfortunately that means the problem is not what I thought it might be. I don't think you have said which verison of WSJT-X you are running, please conform?

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Ron McMurdy
 

2.4.0
wsjtx_2.4.0_amd64.deb

installed on MacBook Pro running ubuntu 20.04.  Had 18.04 on it and wsjt worked fine.  Upgraded computer to 20.04 and then upgraded wsjt to 2.4.0 for Q65 mode and everything appears to work until the boost exception. 


thanks for the work on a great program. Had a qso at 1watt and 100 MW on the other end on 80 m with lots of QRN on Q65.  Ft8 wouldn’t connect.  580km apart midday.  Q65 first call.  


Let me know if you need more info.
73
Ron


Stephen Houser, N1SH
 

Same problem here. WSJTX crashes after a few minutes, sometimes shorter, with ‘could not convert character encoding’. I also have en_US.utf8. This happens with 2.4.0 and the 2.5 release candidate. It does *not* happen with 2.3.1 all on the same Ubuntu 20.04 system.


Bill Somerville
 

On 05/06/2021 02:13, Ron McMurdy wrote:

2.4.0
wsjtx_2.4.0_amd64.deb

installed on MacBook Pro running ubuntu 20.04.  Had 18.04 on it and wsjt worked fine.  Upgraded computer to 20.04 and then upgraded wsjt to 2.4.0 for Q65 mode and everything appears to work until the boost exception.


thanks for the work on a great program. Had a qso at 1watt and 100 MW on the other end on 80 m with lots of QRN on Q65.  Ft8 wouldn’t connect.  580km apart midday.  Q65 first call.


Let me know if you need more info.
73
Ron
Hi Ron,

thanks for that. I have tracked down and fixed a similar issue with the macOS version of WSJT-X, on that platform there is a workaround but I am fairly sure that is not relevant to the Linux version. Try disabling spotting to PSK Reporter ("Settings->Reporting") and see if that helps? Let me know either way please?

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Stephen Houser, N1SH
 

I do *not* have "Enable PSK Reporter Spotting" enabled in my configuration.


Bill Somerville
 

On 13/06/2021 22:39, Stephen Houser wrote:
I do *not* have "Enable PSK Reporter Spotting" enabled in my configuration.
Hi Stephen,

OK, it was a long shot. On macOS an issue triggered when using PSK Reporter spotting triggered another issue with diagnostic logging. All I can suggest for now until we get a release out with the fix is to revert to v2.3.1.

73
Bill
G4WJS.