locked Microphone Icon on Win10 #FT8

George Weller

Old laptop died.  Loaded everything on the new one ('waaay faster!) and everything works (after some effort).  But one thing, I haven't seen before.  In the Win10 tray, a microphone icon.  Mouse over, and it says "WSJT-X is using your microphone".  And the icon goes away on Xmit, comes back on Rcv.  It seems to have no bad effect, as PSKreporter shows my signal decoded all over the place.  Haven't seen this on other apps.  Maybe it's just a twist from the latest build of Windows.  Anyone else seen this?

Bill Somerville

On 24/05/2021 02:28, George Weller wrote:
Old laptop died.  Loaded everything on the new one ('waaay faster!) and everything works (after some effort).  But one thing, I haven't seen before.  In the Win10 tray, a microphone icon.  Mouse over, and it says "WSJT-X is using your microphone".  And the icon goes away on Xmit, comes back on Rcv.  It seems to have no bad effect, as PSKreporter shows my signal decoded all over the place. Haven't seen this on other apps.  Maybe it's just a twist from the latest build of Windows.  Anyone else seen this?
Hi George,

it is a Windows 10 security feature, it should ready say "WSJT-X is using one of your recording devices". Just a reminder that an application is making a recording of something.

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

George, I wonder if you have wsjt-x listen to your radio speaker by microphone. Make sure you have it configured to use the correct audio in.

A quick test is turn off the speaker on your radio and see if it stops decoding.

I accidentally had wsjt-x using the microphone with the speaker turned on and it had no issue running that way.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU
wb8vsu@...

On May 24, 2021, at 10:48 AM, George Weller <gvweller@...> wrote:
Old laptop died.  Loaded everything on the new one ('waaay faster!) and everything works (after some effort).  But one thing, I haven't seen before.  In the Win10 tray, a microphone icon.  Mouse over, and it says "WSJT-X is using your microphone".  And the icon goes away on Xmit, comes back on Rcv.  It seems to have no bad effect, as PSKreporter shows my signal decoded all over the place.  Haven't seen this on other apps.  Maybe it's just a twist from the latest build of Windows.  Anyone else seen this?

neil_zampella

This has nothing to do with such an activity.   This is a new 'feature' of windows so that the user knows that a device is using their mic input.   Has more to do with privacy concerns than anything else.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/24/2021 11:21 AM, Jim Bacher - WB8VSU wrote:
[...]

Thanks to repliers all.  I get what the icon does and the security issue it addresses.  When I record the microphone with Audacity, the icon turns on.  When not recording it, the icon is off.  What I don't get is - why does wsjt-x turn the microphone on?  Is there some voice input function (if so, I haven't read about it).  73

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-05-25 9:21 AM, George Weller wrote:
What I don't get is - why does wsjt-x turn the microphone on? Is
there some voice input function (if so, I haven't read about it).
The "microphone" icon represents *ANY* audio input. WSJTX is turning
on the input to the sound card (even if it is built into your rig) in
order to *receive*. It needs to get its audio into the computer!

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-05-25 9:21 AM, George Weller wrote:
Thanks to repliers all.  I get what the icon does and the security issue it addresses.  When I record the microphone with Audacity, the icon turns on.  When not recording it, the icon is off.  What I don't get is - why does wsjt-x turn the microphone on?  Is there some voice input function (if so, I haven't read about it).  73

Skip <WMMILTON@...>

Believe it or not the sound card it is using for the data tone is in the computer.  The radio’s sound card is used for transmitting the computer created audio.

On 2021-05-25 9:21 AM, George Weller wrote:
> Thanks to repliers all.  I get what the icon does and the security issue
> it addresses.  When I record the microphone with Audacity, the icon
> turns on.  When not recording it, the icon is off.  What I don't get is
> - why does wsjt-x turn the microphone on?  Is there some voice input
> function (if so, I haven't read about it).  73

Dennis Fernandez

Yeah mine does the same thing. never noticed it because the icon was hidden until I hit the up arrow to lookafter reading this,
not much of a security feature if the icon is hidden.

Dennis N4KPI