locked Rig Failure #Cat_RigControl

Walter Egenmaier <wegenmaier@...>

I am trying WSJTX 2.3.1 for the first time with latest N3FJP  (ACL ver 7.01), WIN 10, 64 bit laptop, and FT-991A (with internal modem).
I have never used WSJTX software before, but do use N3FJP and since it is compatible, I though I would try to set this up on my rig for FT8.
As you can see by the attachment, I have several rig failures. Any suggestions on how to fix. I am set up on COM7 using VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator software) which does work with my ACL from N3FJP. The ACL software has rig control and it reads the freq on my rig perfectly. So not sure what my next step should be. 
I did get band activity that wasn't there before, so not sure how that happened. I'm on USB 7.074 MHz.
Appreciate any help to get me started. 
Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

wmmilton <WMMILTON@...>

Try Setting data bits to 8
Stop bits to 1 
Handshake to None and
Both DTS and RTS to High
Make sure you have the correct COM port.

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Walter Egenmaier <wegenmaier@...> wrote:
I am trying WSJTX 2.3.1 for the first time with latest N3FJP  (ACL ver 7.01), WIN 10, 64 bit laptop, and FT-991A (with internal modem).
I have never used WSJTX software before, but do use N3FJP and since it is compatible, I though I would try to set this up on my rig for FT8.
As you can see by the attachment, I have several rig failures. Any suggestions on how to fix. I am set up on COM7 using VSPE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator software) which does work with my ACL from N3FJP. The ACL software has rig control and it reads the freq on my rig perfectly. So not sure what my next step should be. 
I did get band activity that wasn't there before, so not sure how that happened. I'm on USB 7.074 MHz.
Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

wmmilton <WMMILTON@...>

Also Mode set to Data/Pkt and Split Operation to Fake It.

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 7:26 PM wmmilton <wmmilton@...> wrote:
Stop bits to 1 
Handshake to None and
Both DTS and RTS to High

Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

Ed Hennigan

Edited

Walt,

Make sure you install NET 5 Runtime if you have not already done so.
Nest, in AC Log, Settings>Rig Interface>Select Rig.....should be None.
Now you need to close AC Log.
Start WSJT first and you should now see the frequency your rig is set to in the small window within WSJT.
On WSJT go to File>Setting. Radio Tab....should look like the third screen shot
then go to the reporting tab....should look like the fourth screen shot.

I have an FTdx 1200 and had the same issues you are having until I finally got it figured out 3 days ago
after much frustration. I also use JTalert to communicate with AC Log and make the log entries

Hope this helps out.

Ed
K7EPH

From: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io> on behalf of Walter Egenmaier <wegenmaier@...>
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 1:52 PM
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io <main@WSJTX.groups.io>
Subject: [WSJTX] Rig Failure #Cat_RigControl

Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

It finally is working!!!   As you can see, it is working on the attachment. 
Ok, now I have to get out the manual and read the rest now that I'm connected.
Now I have to decipher the QSOs. Seems to be all in code, which I don't understand. Are all we doing is sending CQs, Grids, and 73s?
Seems like the conversations are short with little info or is there more to it? 
I should mention that I've been a Ham for 50 yrs, but I have been away from it for 40 yrs and just came back to it in OCT 2020, during COVID, so there are so many new things. Thanks for getting me working. Is there a good guide/tutorial to help me learn the rest?

Walt
WB4ZUT
73s

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 9:48 AM wmmilton <WMMILTON@...> wrote:
Stop bits to 1 
Handshake to None and
Both DTS and RTS to High

Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

--
Walter H. Egenmaier, O.D
EyeCare Consultants
Evansville, IN 47708
(812) 426-2020 Phone
(812) 426-2828 Fax

neil_zampella

Walter,

May I suggest that you check out the "Making QSOs" section of the User Manual to learn about the exchange.  

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.4.0.html#MAKE_QSOS

The QSO exchange is setup for a quick contact under 'weak signal' (note:  NOT low power) conditions.   This exchange has been used for years for EME and meteor scatter contacts, where a QSO can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more to make.

Hope this helps.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/24/2021 9:13 PM, Walter Egenmaier wrote:
Now I have to decipher the QSOs. Seems to be all in code, which I don't understand. Are all we doing is sending CQs, Grids, and 73s?
I should mention that I've been a Ham for 50 yrs, but I have been away from it for 40 yrs and just came back to it in OCT 2020, during COVID, so there are so many new things. Thanks for getting me working. Is there a good guide/tutorial to help me learn the rest?

Walt
WB4ZUT
73s

Stop bits to 1 
Handshake to None and
Both DTS and RTS to High

Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

--
Walter H. Egenmaier, O.D
EyeCare Consultants
Evansville, IN 47708
(812) 426-2020 Phone
(812) 426-2828 Fax

Attachments:

William Smith

Others have pointed out that this isn't your grandfather's QSO, but there's also http://js8call.com which uses the same kinds of communications as FT8 but layers on keyboard-to-keyboard QSOs for more usual chatting and message passing.

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 24, 2021, at 10:13 PM, Walter Egenmaier <wegenmaier@...> wrote:

Thank you

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

Walter,

May I suggest that you check out the "Making QSOs" section of the User Manual to learn about the exchange.  

https://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.4.0.html#MAKE_QSOS

The QSO exchange is setup for a quick contact under 'weak signal' (note:  NOT low power) conditions.   This exchange has been used for years for EME and meteor scatter contacts, where a QSO can take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or more to make.

Hope this helps.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 5/24/2021 9:13 PM, Walter Egenmaier wrote:

Walt
WB4ZUT
73s

Stop bits to 1 
Handshake to None and
Both DTS and RTS to High

Walt / WB4ZUT
73s

--
Walter H. Egenmaier, O.D
EyeCare Consultants
Evansville, IN 47708
(812) 426-2020 Phone
(812) 426-2828 Fax

Attachments:

--
Walter H. Egenmaier, O.D