Locked WSJT-X LOSES TUNE AND XMT CAPABILITY #general

RICHARD GROSS

I often lose the ability on FT8 and FT4 to Tune or Transmit with Windows 10.. This is only resolved by restarting the program.

Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...>

I often lose the ability on FT8 and FT4 to Tune or Transmit with Windows 10.. This is only resolved by restarting the program.
Sound like RFI in the shack

Dave Garber <ve3wej@...>

more information would be needed,  output power used, radio type operating system wsjt version...

please give details, if you can.

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:45 AM RICHARD GROSS <rgross7068@...> wrote:
I often lose the ability on FT8 and FT4 to Tune or Transmit with Windows 10.. This is only resolved by restarting the program.

Jim Brown

On 5/11/2021 9:08 AM, Karza wrote:
Sound like RFI in the shack
On what basis do you say that?

73, Jim K9YC

Steve marsh (M0NMA)

I have had this problem (or something similar) as have others - the symptom I experienced is that all would be working fine, but then I notice that although the TX light is on on the rig, there is no modulation, so no power is going out. Halting the TX in wsjt-x and then enabling it again whilst in the Tx cycle can wake it up, but sometimes I need to edit the program and start it again.

I think it is a problem between wsjt-x and Windows 10 as I have seen cases where the audio has been going to a device other than the one shown in the wsjt-x settings and Windows Sounds settings, both of which were correctly set. I.e. wsjt-x had enabled TX, there was no modulation, but I could see activity on one of the virtual sound card channels when I opened windows sounds settings

--
Steve M0NMA

Karza <kari.sillanmaki@...>

On 12.5.2021 2.36, Jim Brown wrote:
On 5/11/2021 9:08 AM, Karza wrote:
Sound like RFI in the shack

On what basis do you say that?

Just guessing. Intermittent problems while TXing or tuning could be caused by RFI, right?

The OP did not share too much information to go by.

73's de Kari, oh2gqc

Alan G4ZFQ

Sound like RFI in the shack
On what basis do you say that?
My guess is different.
But without a full description of the setup, equipment, symptoms and any error messages that's all we can do.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

William Smith <w_smith@...>

That was my diagnosis as well, given the information provided. 🤷‍♂️

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 12, 2021, at 2:05 AM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 5/11/2021 9:08 AM, Karza wrote:
Sound like RFI in the shack
On what basis do you say that?

73, Jim K9YC

M0PWX

I see similar (2.4.0 RC4, win10 latest updates / bugs from M$, FLRig 1.3.51)  TX but no audio / modulation

If I don’t TX for more than about an hour the audio in WSJT-x goes to sleep, by doing nothing other than close and re-open WSJT-x the problem I resolved

It only affects my FT-991a, my G90 i can leave idle for as long as I like and it works

Both the G90 and FT-991a use named instances of WSJT-x

I have checked all the eventlogs, nothing showing

The fault is not RFI related as it occurs with both radios in RX only

I have checked the power management settings on every thing USB to ensure windows is not allowed to power them down if not used

And occurs whether the 991a is plugged in direct to PC or via usb hub, usb cable has been swapped for a better quality one with no difference

Peter

M0PWX

Roger Corbett <roger.corbett@...>

Hi,
Ive had problems with USB with the audio stopping after a number of TX cycles.
You have to remember USB is a pretty ugly interface to anything and any noise introduced can really stuff it up.
I invested in a couple USB Isolators which fixed the problem for me. I use one at home and in the portable setup.
I still have the problem occasionally but thats normally because Ive moved some power cable or network cabe closer to the USB and its upset things.
Try and use good quality screened cables too. The ones with the built in ferrite at both or one end work well.
I have the isolator and the ferrite at the computer end.

eBay has them too but get the faster ones. If they don’t tell you the bite rate they will support they will probably be the older slower ones.
I cant remember what speed the better ones were but Im sure you’ll find them.
From memory I paid something like $22 USD.

Hope that helps

Roger ZL3RC

Jim - N4ST

I see the same thing here.  If I don’t transmit for an hour or two, no TX audio is generated via Tune or normal TX.

Computer is still “awake” the whole time and WSJT-X is still decoding on RX properly.

Changing WSJT-X configuration or stop/start WSJT-X restores normal operation.

This started happening a year or so ago, but can’t say if it was something in WSJT-X that changed or a Win10 “upgrade.”

WSJT-X 2.4.0 RC4, Windows 10 Ver 20H2, Elecraft K3S

___________

73,

Jim – N4ST

I see similar (2.4.0 RC4, win10 latest updates / bugs from M$, FLRig 1.3.51)  TX but no audio / modulation

If I don’t TX for more than about an hour the audio in WSJT-x goes to sleep, by doing nothing other than close and re-open WSJT-x the problem I resolved

It only affects my FT-991a, my G90 i can leave idle for as long as I like and it works

Both the G90 and FT-991a use named instances of WSJT-x

I have checked all the eventlogs, nothing showing

The fault is not RFI related as it occurs with both radios in RX only

I have checked the power management settings on every thing USB to ensure windows is not allowed to power them down if not used

And occurs whether the 991a is plugged in direct to PC or via usb hub, usb cable has been swapped for a better quality one with no difference

Peter

M0PWX

Robert Lorenzini

Not for all of us. Happens after a band change.

Bob - wd6dod

On 5/12/2021 2:54 AM, William Smith wrote:

That was my diagnosis as well, given the information provided. 🤷‍♂️

73, Willie N1JBJ

On May 12, 2021, at 2:05 AM, Jim Brown <k9yc@...> wrote:

On 5/11/2021 9:08 AM, Karza wrote:
Sound like RFI in the shack
On what basis do you say that?

73, Jim K9YC

Alan G4ZFQ

Ive had problems with USB with the audio stopping after a number of TX cycles.
Roger,

That reminds me of a USB audio problem I used to have.
If there is a temporary interruption in the USB audio then it seems WSJT-X stops. A restart brings it back.

The disconnection was likely to occur when another USB device such as a memory stick was used. My solution was to fit a PCIe USB card which does not have this problem.

Somewhat extreme but it solved a problem that had bugged me for months!

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Jim Brown

I AM an expert on RFI, and I find the "knee-jerk" blame it on RFI unhelpful when there's no good reason to blame it based on the limited symptoms provided. Yes, many hams DO fail to do proper bonding in their shack, and do build and use antennas that put RF in the shack -- a prime example being an end-fed antenna with no counterpoise.

73, Jim K9YC

On 5/11/2021 11:34 PM, Karza wrote:
On 12.5.2021 2.36, Jim Brown wrote:
On 5/11/2021 9:08 AM, Karza wrote:
Sound like RFI in the shack
On what basis do you say that?
Just guessing. Intermittent problems while TXing or tuning /could /be caused by RFI, right?
The OP did not share too much information to go by.
73's de Kari, oh2gqc

N2BRG

I agree with you and Peter, it is definitely not RFI.

I lost the output with 1 or 2 watts output from my FT-857 and even lost it while transmitting into a 50-ohm load.  Sometimes I can switch back and forth between tune and transmit and the RF is back.  I also found going to tune then raising the power and the tx snapped in, but these fixes may have been a fluke.  The only real fix was restarting WSJT-X.

The frustrating part is trying to work a new grid, a needed DXCC station on FT8, or an MSK144 Meteor Scatter contact and look up and you're not transmitting for most of the sequence. Starts out transmitting then shows transmitting but nothing out.  I have noticed this issue mainly in RC4 which I just updated to. If it was there earlier I did not notice it.

Microsoft released an update in April 2021 that has just about killed all my computers.  A major MS screwup.  Search for update KB5001330.  It shows many references to Gammers which I am not, but BSOD and slowdowns are a major issue in general.  Now I am not saying that it is this update causing this issue, but it looks mighty suspicious.  I removed that update from my main computer that I do video/audio editing and CAD on it is back to normal speed for rendering.  Again, I am not saying it is that update.  I am running version 20H2 build 19042.948.  I checked that via the Windows key +R  and type winver.  Removing that update can also be a nightmare.  After you remove it Windows wants to reboot after the reboot it reinstalls it as a missing update again.   I can't find that option to hide certain updates.  Apparently, windows removed that option to force updates.  I had to go into Safemode to remove it and then turn off updates completely.

So, is this a bug with RC4 and or a reaction to a Windows update?

Due to the bad Windows updates and the lack of support from Microsoft, Linux may have a future on the computer I use mainly for Amateur Radio.

73's

Gary N2BRG

Tim

Hi guys,

I'm pretty sure this is a WSJTX issue since I had the same problem under Win7 with CreativeAudio sound cards and I have exactly the same problem on now that I've switched to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and I'm using the input sound cards of the 7300 and 9700 I have!
cheers
Tim

Bob G8HGN

Hi,

There are 2 , possibly more, issues here.

1) The tune issue has been addressed on here and is hopefully being fixed next release. If you hit tune and then decide to call CQ or answer someone the 1st TX period does not send tones. Hit disable TX, re-enable TX and it's fine.

2) I my case the loss of TX tones was due to a feature in HDMI monitors that uses a function of USB. Again covered here previously. I'd have a variable period of inactivity, then see a station I wanted to contact, double click and the rig would go to TX but no tones. Cycle the disable/enable and OK. I cured it by never allowing the monitor to sleep. This was over 2 years ago and hasn't re-appeared. YMMV.

It's worth going through the subjects archive to see if you can see something related. Admittedly that's a chore, but most answers are there.

HTH 73 Bob G8HGN

Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 1:18 AM
From: "N2BRG" <n2brg@...>
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io

[...]

MS took out my Nvidia GPU but my tx problem predates it by a bunch. I don't think they are related
in my case. I have learned to do a test tx after changing bands.

Bob - wd6dod

On 5/12/2021 5:18 PM, N2BRG wrote:

[...]

KT7AZ

This has been an issue as many have mentioned.  As was mentioned, turn off the Windows screen saver as that somehow seems to kill the TX audio for sure, I do still get the occasional TX audio not transmitting tones.  One quick fix is to restart WSJT but you lose all your data, another way I have found is to go into settings and reselect the sound card (even though it shows that it is already).  Save and back out to WSJT and it usually works.

Gary
--
KT7AZ

George

 i am not an expert or claim to be. I lose tune and transmit capability on Wsjt using my signa link usb interface.  When this occurs my ability to use Multi-psk and other digital programs are also affected. I never run more than 20 watts and when I use my Icom703 at less than 5 w or less it will happen. I doubt it is caused by RFI in my situation.  There is no set procedure I can use to restore usb connection. From restarting the interface, unplug the usb line to resetting sound card settings to a reboot of my computer, etc. Each time restoration can be different.
i believe it is W10 issue,  because I never noticed this issue when I use my home brew serial port/usb interface with hard wired audio into the computer.
Just my .02 cents
73 George, Ny4fd