#GeneralgroupInfo #GeneralGroupInfo

Dave

Hello there everyone,

What do the new modes sound like and where are they generally found???

I am hearing some strange sounds around 7.101 - 7.103 and was wondering what I am hearing.
--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Jim Brown

On 4/21/2021 6:24 PM, Dave via groups.io wrote:
What do the new modes sound like
Three ways.

1) Listen to the output of your computer when transmitting these modes (on many sound interfaces, simply plug headphones in.

2) Put your rig into Monitor mode so that you are listening to your transmitted audio.

3) Listen to your transmitted signal on another radio.

Note that Q65 is intended for weak signal work -- EME and propagation modes like ionospheric scatter, on VHF and above, while FST4 and FST4W are intended for use on 160M and down. Don't expect to see/hear them on other bands or in other applications.

The Getting Started Guides for the two modes, downloaded separately from the WSJT-X website, are required reading.

73, Jim K9YC

Mike Phipps

Assuming you are tuning in USB, as is customary for data modes - well, most of them! - between 7101 and 7103 kHz you will find classic packet radio alongside some automated Pactor stations (very likely running Winlink for passing messages back and forth). Specifically, if you are set up for packet, there is almost always some activity during the evening hours on 7100.6 kHz USB (or 7104.0 kHz LSB). I’ve also heard some form of MFSK being used here, but that might also be something that the Winlink crowd are doing.

With all of that said, I don’t know that there’s anything going on in that 7101-7103 range that WSJT-X would decode.

Mike K8WU