locked Inscrutable WSJT-X problem! #Windows10 #Icom

Joseph Willis <ve2cy@...>

I seem to have an unsolvable WSJT-X transmission problem, that came about while operating one day (I had been using it for several months).  I don't remember clearly how it occurred, because I was concentrating on making contacts, but it seemed the keyboard or operating system froze or bugged, and I could no longer use the FT8 session I was running at that time.

Even after a reboot, I could not make a contact, although everything seemed to work, and WSJT-X opened as normal.

I re-installed the WSJT-X program, reloaded the CP210 USB/UART codex s/w, and even ran a utility to clean up the registry.  No luck.  The program loads, goes into transmit mode, the monitor shows a modulated signal going out, but no one replies, and PSK Reporter acts as if it doesn't hear me.

As an experiment, I had another laptop, and installed the program on it.  It worked first time, every time, like the Eveready Bunny!  So, for the past few months, I have been scratching my head comparing everything I could between the two computers.

They both have Win10, CP210, WSJT-X 2.12, and use the same IC-7300 rig.  The Icom display looks like the same modulated FT8 signal when I transmit from either computer.

What else is there left to compare ?  I have checked, rechecked and re-re-checked all settings again and again.

Is there some other wsjt-x supporting file in Win10 that might have been corrupted on the one pc?  I hesitate to do a complete windows re-install and then have to re-install the dozens of programs I already have on the computer, but I am running out of ideas.

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

VE2CY

Bill Somerville

On 21/04/2021 15:07, Joseph Willis via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Hi Joesph,

what are you using to synchronize your PC to UTC?

Tom V. Segalstad

Hi Joseph,

Is your PC more vulnarable to RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) than your laptop? Could this be the reason for your problem?

Have you tried using RFI-protection ferrites on all ends of PC-connecting cables?

73 from Tom (LA4LN)

Sent from Outlook Mobile

--
Tom (LA4LN)

Joel

Check your time sync on the computer that is not working.... that might be the issue.

Joel
AC8WS

On Apr 21, 2021, at 10:55 AM, Joseph Willis via groups.io <ve2cy@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred Roberts

Hi Joe!
       Just shooting from the hip, have you asked any close by hams to listen to your signal and report what they hear? After the latest Windows update I had a short lived problem due to Windows trying to use speaker audio to feed the XMTR rather than the CODEC. Without a second rig to listen to that output, I would never have realized what I was up against.
       Also, have you looked at your RF  output with a watt meter using both computers?
       After all of the continuing problems reported by the group, I continue to use WSJT-x 2.2.2, rather than 2.3x or 2.4.
Just a couple of thoughts, hope they help.
Fred
WB4QOC

Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021, 10:54 AM Joseph Willis via groups.io <ve2cy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I was using Win10, and constantly correcting for the time drift.  Since yesterday, I found out about "NTP", and now it takes care of itself.  But thanks, the timing was one of the things I verified.

Joe

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:14:24 a.m. EDT, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Tom - that is an angle I had not thought of before.  But I had been using it 4 to 5 months until then, although I could have changed something to cause it to start, maybe.

It's the desk one, in a metal cabinet, but who knows.  I will think through that idea further, thanks.

Joe

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:14:33 a.m. EDT, Tom V. Segalstad <la4ln@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joel ... at first I hadn't thought of that, but I was always manually resetting with windows.  Just yesterday I found out about NTP, so I won't have to keep doing that anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Joe

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:16:15 a.m. EDT, Joel <styx@...> wrote:

[...]

Which just made me think - does the sensitive timing also matter to PSK Reporter too ?

VE2CY

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 11:28:48 a.m. EDT, Joseph Willis <ve2cy@...> wrote:

[...]

I have been using Dimension 4 for years.... install and forget. Hope it works for you.

Joel
AC8WS

On Apr 21, 2021, at 1:03 PM, Joseph Willis via groups.io <ve2cy@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, the NTP works well, but I think I gave the idea it fixed it ... it is not a timing problem, unfortunately.

Joe

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 01:38:00 p.m. EDT, Joel <styx@...> wrote:

[...]

Roy - W5TKZ

Joe,
Give this a try on the bum computer. Maybe.....just maybe.

SCAN REPAIR CORRUPTED SYSTEM FILES WITH SFC /SCANNOW

This is how you can run an SFC scan in Windows.

Be signed in to computer as Administrator.

Press the Windows key + X to open the main menu.

Click Windows PowerShell (Admin).

When Command Prompt opens, enter sfc /scannow and press Enter. (Yes, there is a space between sfc and / ).

The repair process will now start.  ( this takes a while but you have a percent counter to show progress.)

Good luck,

Roy - W5TKZ

On Apr 21, 2021, at 10:55 AM, Joseph Willis via groups.io <ve2cy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hank Pfizenmayer

 I  went thru this same thing - did all the usual SFC  / scannow etc etc etc and did system restores etc etc etc - after a month of everything I could do - I gave up and wiped clean and reinstalled from scratch. That was the only thing that resolved it . I spent hours and hours comparing  two Dell workstations with W10 on them looking at audio drivers etc etc etc and one would work perfectly  just move my USB cord from one to another one 3 feet away and it worked  fine. (BOTH would decode received signals just fine !!!!!!)If I remember right that first sync pulse was about 300 cycles  dont hold me to that -and at end there is a second pulse  about 1000 cycles -by ear)  I did numerous re installs of WSJT  no difference

I found it by recording the tx audio from both and listening to them - on the one that did not work as it was missing that  very very low level apparently sync pulse at start of the tx sequence   -as yours -the tones sounded perfectly normal. I had the advantage of a second K3 /WSJT/Signalink set up to listen to my tx myself - without that I would never have found this. Again it was very low level and had to listen to the two several times to hear the difference.

How the heck a  OS system could be corrupted to not tx that sync pulse yet do everything else fine is beyond me. The audio drivers were the same versions on both computers .
BOTH computers do give this message on the USB codec microphone audio driver

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{0d52fcde-d5b9-4e85-b313-27edb08ba6fd} was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

and the USB COM 5 driver says
Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AL048ZWGA\0000 requires further installation.

But it workeee.

Hank K7HP

In full  disclosure the W10 on the nonworking machine (IT worked fine for several months after the install)) was a install over W7 and was done to preserve the apps and data.  DELL pro support actually did the install and told me that sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not -and they preferred  a totally clean install and reinstall of all apps.

This  is W10 Pro 64 bit FWIW.

Jim Bacher - WB8VSU

Another scan option is (run the same way Ron said for sfc ) :

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
&&
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

I have also on rare occasion used device manager to delete and remove drivers for a device. Then reboot Windows and allow it to reinstall the device and it's drivers.

Jim Bacher, WB8VSU
wb8vsu@...
On Apr 21, 2021, at 3:48 PM, Roy - W5TKZ <w5tkzradio@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, I tried Hank's (K7HP) and Jim's (WB8VSU) utilities, they are ran without problem, I rebooted, and I still have the problem.  I guess the file is low-key enough to miss the "system repair" programs, and there were no messages about anything being fixed by them.

I had also previously tried the driver delete idea.

I might be forced to do a complete re-install as Hank did, but you would think Microsoft would have a program that could analyse it's files better and suggest replacing them if they are missing, etc.

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 07:33:02 p.m. EDT, Jim Bacher - WB8VSU <wb8vsu@...> wrote:

Another scan option is (run the same way Ron said for sfc ) :

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
&&
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

[...]

William Smith

On Apr 22, 2021, at 11:11 AM, Joseph Willis via groups.io <ve2cy@...> wrote:
I might be forced to do a complete re-install as Hank did, but you would think Microsoft would have a program that could analyse it's files better and suggest replacing them if they are missing, etc.
I've found that while that might be a laudable goal, there are so many settings buried deep in the drivers and the registry and other settings you don't have any access to, that sometimes whacking it over the head and starting over is the only choice.

One more thing to try, because it solves more problems than you'd imagine:

Power the computer off.
Unplug the power cord (if a laptop, also remove the battery).
Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
Plug the power cord in. (If a laptop, reinstall the battery)
Power the computer back up.

Turns out a reboot or a 'regular' power cycle doesn't always reset the lowest level chip registers to known good values, and the above sometimes helps.

[Another option that'll do the same thing is to carry it down to the local computer shop, and since it's been unplugged for an hour or so, it'll have the same effect as above. Go ahead, ask me how I know this (Yes, I'm the computer shop). 8*]

73, Willie N1JBJ

Joseph Willis <ve2cy@...>

It is looking more and more like the same thing for me, Hank - I just took the plunge, downloaded the Win 10 latest version, and ran a 4 hour re-install.

It didn't work.

I realized after that what I thought would be a total renew, was just an update to the files, even though it took 4 hours.  My clue was all my installed programs, and their settings, were still there.  Nuts.

The absolute last resort will be as Hank did, to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch.  I would have thought the latest s/w download would have replaced all the Windows files, but I guess it didn't.

There are just too many files to analyze, although it should be similar to the old tone generating modem programs,  I would have thought ?

Hank, is there any way for me to analyse the modulated ft8 signal like you, without fancy equipment?

Joe VE2CY