no waterfall #AudioIssues #NewUser #Cat_RigControl #Waterfall

Tony Castelli

It is very discouraging when even the samples that are offered in the instructions don't work. I finally got the software to recognize my FT 857D and vice versa. "Test CAT' and "Test PTT" both function. My issue is with the audio. I can hear all sorts of traffic, but it doesn't seem to be making it to the PC; no waterfall at all.  I am using a TCL TV as my monitor via an HDMI cable. PC is running W-10 64 bit, 1TB HD, 4 GB DDR3L with a Realtek high def sound card. My interface is a U5 Link for Yaesu.
I also can't change the frequencies for the different modes. Configuration is Default ONLY. Am I doomed to not be able to use this software to enjoy ALL the modes (only JT65 is green)? Please, would one of you guys that are proficient with this software help this newbie? 

Andrew OBrien

What audio path are you specifying within WSJTX ?  Usually "no waterfall" is related to the importance of setting WSJTX to the source of your radio's signals.  Inder recommended procedures, you would not normally use a path to your Realtex sound card unless you patched audio from the radio to the input of your soundcard.  This is discouraged.

Andy K3UK 

Tony Castelli

Thanks for the rapid response, Andy. The only thing that comes close to being able to set anything is the computer sound card. There isn't anything that can be selected from the interface. My audio is still coming from the rig. This radio and interface were used several years ago for PSK-31 operations and it worked flawlessly (I was using windows Vista then, on an old PC). 

A. J. Castelli 
KJ4JOA
General Class Operator
AEMT

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:
What audio path are you specifying within WSJTX ?  Usually "no waterfall" is related to the importance of setting WSJTX to the source of your radio's signals.  Inder recommended procedures, you would not normally use a path to your Realtex sound card unless you patched audio from the radio to the input of your soundcard.  This is discouraged.

Andy K3UK 

Ron Schunk

Hi...here are my setting for my 857 to the U5 interface box. It took me a LONG time messing with everything to get this to work..hope it helps..
Regards
Ron WA8KQF.

FT 857 Settings for FT8 Digital

General

Tool Bar       Mode FT8    Decode Deep

Display

x Blank line between decoding periods

x Display distance in miles

x Tx messages to Rx frequency window

x Show DXCC grid and worked before status

Behaviour

x Disable Tx after sending 73

x Calling CQ forces Call 1st

Radio  Rig FT857            Poll Iterval 1s

CAT control

X COM3 Serial Port  (check status with Device Manager)

X 4800 Baud rate

X 8 Data Bits

X 1 Stop Bit

X None Handshake

X Blank DTA   x Blank RTS

X VOX    PTT Method

X Port COM3

X Front/Mic Transmit Audio Source

X USB Mode

X None Split Operation

Audio

Input

Realtek

X USB Audio (mono)

Output

Realtek

X USB Audio (mono)

Save Directory:

AzEL Directory: c:/Users/Ron/AppData/Local/WSJT-Xc:/Users/Ron/AppData/Local/WSHT-x/save

Reporting

x Enable PSK Reporter Spotting

Frequencies FT8 7.074

Advanced                                                                                                        1 of 2

x Two-pass decoding

6 Random erasure patterns

0 Aggressive Decoding level

0.0db Degrade S/N of .wav file

2500 Receiver bandwidth

1.2 sec Tx Delay

Waterfall Wide Graph

Low sidelobes Waterfall spectra

Bins/Pixel 2  Start 200Hz  Pallete   x Flatten           Spec 25%

N Avg 5        Digipan

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM A. J. Castelli <kj4joa@...> wrote:
Thanks for the rapid response, Andy. The only thing that comes close to being able to set anything is the computer sound card. There isn't anything that can be selected from the interface. My audio is still coming from the rig. This radio and interface were used several years ago for PSK-31 operations and it worked flawlessly (I was using windows Vista then, on an old PC). 

A. J. Castelli 
KJ4JOA
General Class Operator
AEMT

Andy K3UK 

Bill Somerville

On 10/04/2021 17:23, Ron Schunk wrote:
Hi...here are my setting for my 857 to the U5 interface box. It took me a LONG time messing with everything to get this to work..hope it helps..
Regards
Ron WA8KQF.
Ron,

why are you using VOX for the WSJT-X PTT Method? How do yo key your rig?

Bill
G4WJS.

Tony Castelli

Thanks Ron,
I'll try those settings and see what happens. It's a step in the right direction.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021, 12:06 Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:
On 10/04/2021 17:23, Ron Schunk wrote:
> Hi...here are my setting for my 857 to the U5 interface box. It took
> me a LONG time messing with everything to get this to work..hope it
> helps..
> Regards
> Ron WA8KQF.

Ron,

why are you using VOX for the WSJT-X PTT Method? How do yo key your rig?

Bill
G4WJS.

Lance Collister, W7GJ

I don't know if your model is the same as mine, but here is a mod to enable it to provide a PTT output so you don't have to use VOX: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/FT857ptt.htm

GL and VY 73, Lance

On 4/10/2021 16:23:04, Ron Schunk wrote:
Regards
Ron WA8KQF.

*FT 857 Settings for FT8 Digital*

General

Tool Bar       Mode FT8    Decode Deep

Display

x Blank line between decoding periods

x Display distance in miles

x Tx messages to Rx frequency window

x Show DXCC grid and worked before status

Behaviour

x Disable Tx after sending 73

x Calling CQ forces Call 1^st

Radio Rig FT857            Poll Iterval 1s

CAT control

X COM3 Serial Port (check status with Device Manager)

X 4800 Baud rate

X 8 Data Bits

X 1 Stop Bit

X None Handshake

X Blank DTA  x Blank RTS

X VOX    PTT Method

X Port COM3

X Front/Mic Transmit Audio Source

X USB Mode

X None Split Operation

Audio

Input

Realtek

X USB Audio (mono)

Output

Realtek

X USB Audio (mono)

Save Directory:

AzEL Directory: c:/Users/Ron/AppData/Local/WSJT-Xc:/Users/Ron/AppData/Local/WSHT-x/save

Â

Reporting

x Enable PSK Reporter Spotting

Frequencies FT8 7.074

Advanced                                                                                                       1 of 2

x Two-pass decoding

6 Random erasure patterns

0 Aggressive Decoding level

0.0db Degrade S/N of .wav file

2500 Receiver bandwidth

1.2sec Tx Delay

Waterfall Wide Graph

Low sidelobes Waterfall spectra

Bins/Pixel 2  Start 200Hz Pallete   x Flatten           Spec 25%

N Avg 5        Digipan

Â

Â

Â

<https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon> Virus-free. www.avast.com <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 11:28 AM A. J. Castelli <kj4joa@gmail.com <mailto:kj4joa@gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks for the rapid response, Andy. The only thing that comes close to being
able to set anything is the computer sound card. There isn't anything that can
be selected from the interface. My audio is still coming from the rig. This
radio and interface were used several years ago for PSK-31 operations and it
worked flawlessly (I was using windows Vista then, on an old PC).Â

A. J. CastelliÂ
KJ4JOA
General Class Operator
AEMT

/
/

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@gmail.com
<mailto:k3ukandy@gmail.com>> wrote:

What audio path are you specifying within WSJTX ?  Usually "no waterfall"
is related to the importance of setting WSJTX to the source of your radio's
signals.  Inder recommended procedures, you would not normally use a path
to your Realtex sound card unless you patched audio from the radio to the
input of your soundcard.  This is discouraged.

Andy K3UKÂ

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K, KH8/W7GJ, V6M, T8GJ, VK9CGJ, VK9XGJ, C21GJ, CP1GJ, S79GJ, TX7MB)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
URL: http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj
2m DXCC #11 - 6m DXCC #815 - FFMA #7

Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the new Magic Band EME
email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
page (above)!

Ted

Check your computer clock. Windows time known to be an issue. You may need to install dimension 4 or Meinberg clock synchronizers

73, K7TRK

Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 8:08 AM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] no waterfall #AudioIssues #Cat_RigControl #Waterfall #NewUser

A. J. Castelli 

KJ4JOA

General Class Operator

AEMT

Andy K3UK 

Tony Castelli

I tried the set up recommended and I've checked my clock. I'm using Meinberg NTP. Clock is synced. The audio is still coming from the rig. Still no waterfall. Should I be able to codify/change the numbers in my frequencies list (I can't do that either)?

A. J. Castelli 
KJ4JOA
General Class Operator
AEMT

On Sat, Apr 10, 2021 at 9:50 PM Ted <k7trkradio@...> wrote:

Check your computer clock. Windows time known to be an issue. You may need to install dimension 4 or Meinberg clock synchronizers

73, K7TRK

Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 8:08 AM
To: main@wsjtx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] no waterfall #AudioIssues #Cat_RigControl #Waterfall #NewUser

A. J. Castelli 

KJ4JOA

General Class Operator

AEMT

Andy K3UK