Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, and DXKeeper #FT8 #networking #logging #ContestMode


Pete Ritter K5CPR
 

Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
 
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?  I want JTAlert's worked B4, WSJT-X's coloring, etc to be relevant to the contest only. Should I save my adif file before the contest begins and start a new one and then on contest close, merge the two?  I know to set the appropriate contest mode in WSJT-X. Is there anything else I need to do?


Bill Somerville
 

On 07/04/2021 17:27, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?  I want JTAlert's worked B4, WSJT-X's coloring, etc to be relevant to the contest only. Should I save my adif file before the contest begins and start a new one and then on contest close, merge the two?  I know to set the appropriate contest mode in WSJT-X. Is there anything else I need to do?
Hi Pete,

yes that is the recommend strategy.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


neil_zampella
 

Another way of doing it is that since you using JTAlert, you can set the B4 date to disregard any QSOs prior to the date of the start of the contest.  You would then also adjust the checkboxes on the B4 settings to ignore band or mode, etc.

If you're using a built-in WSJT-X contest mode, then just let it build the contest Cabrillo log for you, and not touch anything else.   However, if this is a 'local' contest not built-in to the program, doing what you have listed for the log is the way to go, but still adjust JTAlert for the B4 alert as mentioned above.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/7/2021 11:52 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 07/04/2021 17:27, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?  I want JTAlert's worked B4, WSJT-X's coloring, etc to be relevant to the contest only. Should I save my adif file before the contest begins and start a new one and then on contest close, merge the two?  I know to set the appropriate contest mode in WSJT-X. Is there anything else I need to do?

Hi Pete,

yes that is the recommend strategy.

73
Bill
G4WJS.





Jim Brown
 

On 4/7/2021 9:27 AM, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?
None of these are contesting applications. N1MM Plus Logger is contesting software, and integrates with WSJT-X. WriteLog is also contesting software, and it MAY integrate with WSJT-X. N1MM Logger Plus is Freeware. WriteLog is not. You will need one of these to get the Worked B4 function relative to the contest and it's rules (for example, some are Worked B4 per band and or mode, some are Worked B4 on any band and/or mode.

73, Jim K9YC


Joe Subich, W4TV
 

On 2021-04-07 2:41 PM, neil_zampella wrote:
Another way of doing it is that since you using JTAlert, you can set
the B4 date to disregard any QSOs prior to the date of the start of
the contest.
If you are using WSJTX, JTAlert *and* DXKeeper, you will need to do it
this way as JTAlert will use your DXKeeper log for "B4" and not the
WSJTX file. The adif file is only used when JTAlert is not logging to
a third party logger.

73,

... Joe, W4TV


On 2021-04-07 2:41 PM, neil_zampella wrote:
Another way of doing it is that since you using JTAlert, you can set the
B4 date to disregard any QSOs prior to the date of the start of the
contest.  You would then also adjust the checkboxes on the B4 settings
to ignore band or mode, etc.
If you're using a built-in WSJT-X contest mode, then just let it build
the contest Cabrillo log for you, and not touch anything else.
However, if this is a 'local' contest not built-in to the program, doing
what you have listed for the log is the way to go, but still adjust
JTAlert for the B4 alert as mentioned above.
Neil, KN3ILZ
On 4/7/2021 11:52 AM, Bill Somerville wrote:
On 07/04/2021 17:27, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?  I
want JTAlert's worked B4, WSJT-X's coloring, etc to be relevant to
the contest only. Should I save my adif file before the contest
begins and start a new one and then on contest close, merge the two?
 I know to set the appropriate contest mode in WSJT-X. Is there
anything else I need to do?
Hi Pete,

yes that is the recommend strategy.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


Larry Banks
 

And don't forget to look at the N3FJP suite of contest loggers.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brown
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 15:05
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, and DXKeeper #ContestMode #FT8 #logging #udp

On 4/7/2021 9:27 AM, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper
What is the best way to work contests with the above software?
None of these are contesting applications. N1MM Plus Logger is
contesting software, and integrates with WSJT-X. WriteLog is also
contesting software, and it MAY integrate with WSJT-X. N1MM Logger Plus
is Freeware. WriteLog is not. You will need one of these to get the
Worked B4 function relative to the contest and it's rules (for example,
some are Worked B4 per band and or mode, some are Worked B4 on any band
and/or mode.

73, Jim K9YC


Jim Brown
 

On 4/7/2021 12:41 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io wrote:
And don't forget to look at the N3FJP suite of contest loggers.
Do you know that it supports WSJT-X?

73, Jim K9YC


Larry Banks
 

I use it exclusively with WSJT-X via JTAlert for both DX and contesting.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brown
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2021 16:08
To: main@WSJTX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, and DXKeeper #ContestMode #FT8 #logging #udp

On 4/7/2021 12:41 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io wrote:
And don't forget to look at the N3FJP suite of contest loggers.
Do you know that it supports WSJT-X?

73, Jim K9YC


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

On 4/7/2021 9:27 AM, Pete Ritter via groups.io wrote:
Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, DXKeeper What is the best way to work
contests with the above software?
None of these are contesting applications. N1MM Plus Logger is contesting software, and integrates with WSJT-X. WriteLog is also contesting software, and it MAY integrate with WSJT-X. N1MM Logger Plus is Freeware. WriteLog is not. You will need one of these to get the Worked B4 function relative to the contest and it's rules (for example, some are Worked B4 per band and or mode, some are Worked B4 on any band and/or mode.

+ If you are a serious contester, I agree with Jim K9YC's recommendation above to log QSOs using N1MM, as it tracks your rate and score in real time. At the end of the contest, export your contest QSOs from N1MM to an ADIF file, and import that file into DXKeeper. Alternatively, use the N1MM-to-DXKeeper gateway, which automatically conveys QSOs from N1MM to DXKeeper in real time.:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm

Note that DXLab's DXKeeper provides realtime award tracking for DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX awards - considering QSOs made in all modes, not just QSOs made in K1JT modes like FT8. This enables other components of the DXLab Suite like SpotCollector and Commander to highlight the callsigns of currently-active stations with whom a confirmed QSO would advance your award progress.

de AA6YQ (developer, DXLab)

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Jim Brown
 

Yes. DXKeeper is a wonderful logger, and I've used it as my general logger since getting back on the air in 2003. I do exactly as Dave suggests, exporting my contest logs to DXKeeper after each contest, using DXKeeper to interact with LOTW, eQSL, and ClubLog, which it does almost automagically. I also find several of the other apps in Dave's DXLab integrated suite of programs useful. And they are all bug-free, well supported, and FREE! Thanks very much, Dave!

73, Jim K9YC

On 4/7/2021 1:41 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ If you are a serious contester, I agree with Jim K9YC's recommendation above to log QSOs using N1MM, as it tracks your rate and score in real time. At the end of the contest, export your contest QSOs from N1MM to an ADIF file, and import that file into DXKeeper. Alternatively, use the N1MM-to-DXKeeper gateway, which automatically conveys QSOs from N1MM to DXKeeper in real time.:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/N1MM-DXKeeper/index.htm
Note that DXLab's DXKeeper provides realtime award tracking for DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX awards - considering QSOs made in all modes, not just QSOs made in K1JT modes like FT8. This enables other components of the DXLab Suite like SpotCollector and Commander to highlight the callsigns of currently-active stations with whom a confirmed QSO would advance your award progress.
de AA6YQ (developer, DXLab)


Gary - AG0N
 



On Apr 7, 2021, at 2:28 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io <larryb.w1dyj@...> wrote:

I use it exclusively with WSJT-X via JTAlert for both DX and contesting.

But it won’t work with WSJT-X without JTAlert.

Gary  -  AG0N


Larry Banks
 

Yes Gary – that’s what I stated:  WSJT-X via JTAlert.
 
Larry / W1DYJ
 

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2021 0:34
Subject: Re: [WSJTX] Contesting with WSJT-X, JTAlert, and DXKeeper #ContestMode #FT8 #logging #udp
 
 

On Apr 7, 2021, at 2:28 PM, Larry Banks via groups.io <larryb.w1dyj@...> wrote:
 
I use it exclusively with WSJT-X via JTAlert for both DX and contesting.
 
But it won’t work with WSJT-X without JTAlert.
 
Gary  -  AG0N