locked Uncertainty about what DX station is using #FoxAndHound

neil_zampella

The others are:  that you're not on a 'normal' FT8/FT4 frequency for that band; WSJT-X locks them out.    And that you'll only see the HOUND stations replying on the ODDs only, and the FOX only calling CQ and giving responses on the EVEN.

On 4/8/2021 8:52 AM, Jim Spears wrote:
Assuming one can "see" the calling and working stations, watching to see if the DX is TX down around 300 - 500 Hz, the calling stations above 1000 Hz (except for those not knowing how to use F/H) then if the calling stations suddenly move their TX to or near the DX TX frequency to complete the exchange then one can assume the DX is using F/H.  I have not seen any other objective way to determine if or if not F/H is in use.

Jim
N1NK

Jim Spears

Assuming one can "see" the calling and working stations, watching to see if the DX is TX down around 300 - 500 Hz, the calling stations above 1000 Hz (except for those not knowing how to use F/H) then if the calling stations suddenly move their TX to or near the DX TX frequency to complete the exchange then one can assume the DX is using F/H.  I have not seen any other objective way to determine if or if not F/H is in use.

Jim
N1NK

John, K9MM

Occasionally, a DX station will show up using FT-8 on a non-standard frequency, and the question then becomes "Is he using F/H mode or standard mode"? That situation popped up yesterday when EP2LSH was on 14095 and not using F/H at the same time that C92RU was also operating in that segment.

It took me a few minutes of watching what was going on to convince me that EP2LSH was not using F/H. But afterwards, I was wondering if there is anything in the WSJT-X program which would have prevented me from working him if I was using F/H mode as Hound (assuming that he was transmitting even since I would be forced to transmit odd)? When a rare station pops up, pileups grow quickly, so time if of the essence.

73,

John, K9MM