Want to work a contest mode... #ContestMode

JP Tucson, AZ <samcat88az@...>

Hello FT8 crew,

I am looking forward to working the 7QP (7th Area QSO Party) on May 1-2.

However, a friend & mentor brought up this; "I’m not sure the FT
modes can handle the exchange, which is RS(T) plus 5 letter state/county code. For example if
you operate from Pima County, your exchange will be: 599 AZPMA."

In looking at how the Roundup works; which already uses RST, I would like to request please that it would be great if you could add an QSO Party mode to the Advanced section for contests.

If you replace the grid square with the 5 digit county/state code (the list is on the 7QP page) on the first call (TX1), and replace the R-xx with the RST as you do with the RU mode, it should be a very simple addition.

I think we would all appreciate that, as I believe most, if not all QSO Parties use a similar layout.

Thank you,

73 - John - N7GHZ

neil_zampella

It sounds easy, but its not.       The Tx1 transmission can actually do more than 13 characters because its setup to use certain encode/decode 'codes' to keep the entire Tx in the 77 bit limit.     Adding all those letters is not possible as it would involve having to do major changes to the the system, and it would not be feasible.

As the developers have said before, they added contest modes that are international in scope, and easily built into the existing system.   Trying to cover the rules for every single QSO 'party' would be a nightmare.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 4/5/2021 9:23 PM, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
[...]

Jim Brown

On 4/5/2021 7:23 PM, JP Tucson, AZ wrote:
I am looking forward to working the 7QP (7th Area QSO Party) on May 1-2.
First, you should study the contest rules to learn if WSJT QSOs are accepted. Our 4-man team has been lighting up 6-7 rare counties in this event for about 5 years; we've had to skip last year and this because we live in along the California coast, and don't trust the folks who live in those remote counties to provide safe public accommodations we would need to us. We work CW and SSB only, and while I use JT modes a lot and contest a lot, the bug hasn't bit me to use them in HF contesting. On 6M, a lot. :)

73, Jim K9YC

Ron W3RJW

Further, if you were to read the rules, the exchange could be a 10 digit plus slash for a station operating on a county-line (i.e. UTRIC/IDBEA).   The rules permit 'digital' but in the context of this particular contest digital means PSK and RTTY.

Common sense must prevail.

http://ws7n.net/7qp/new/page.asp?content=rules
Ron  W3RJW

FTdx-5000, Timewave Navigator, WSJT-x 2.3.0, JTAlert 2.16.17, HRD Deluxe v6.7
FTdx-3000, SignaLink USB

Jim Shepherd

Hi John,
  The WSJT modes are not allowed for the 7QP. You can run RTTY or PSK31 and that would make those running Digital happy with making a contact with you in Arizona.
73
Jim W6US
7QP Nevada Captain.