Windows 10 installed programs list #install

John, K9MM

The program is running fine, but I notice on my computer that if I go to
Settings->Control Panel->Programs and Features there is an entry for every version of WSJT-X I have ever installed, going back to v1.8.0. I don't know why these are still listed as I find no files or directories for them. Is it safe to right-click each of the old versions in the list and then select Uninstall?

I'm interested in removing old settings that might slow down my computer, but I don't want to take a chance on messing up the working installation of v2.3.0. Thanks!

73,

John, K9MM

Alan G4ZFQ

Is it safe to right-click each of the old versions in the list and then select Uninstall?
John,

I reckon it's risky.
If you installed them in the same folder every time then the one that is left there is the latest version.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Andy McMullin

Sadly, if you did not uninstall each time, the newer version will have overwritten the directory including the uninstaller application. Without special tricks, you will only be able to right-click and “uninstall" the most recent version; the older ones will have gone, but they will still appear on the applications list. It’s a pain and untidy but not a major issue.

Hope this helps

Andy, G8TQH

On 5 Apr 2021, at 17:01, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@gmail.com> wrote:

Is it safe to right-click each of the old versions in the list and then select Uninstall?
John,

I reckon it's risky.
If you installed them in the same folder every time then the one that is left there is the latest version.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Somerville

On 05/04/2021 17:01, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Is it safe to right-click each of the old versions in the list and then select Uninstall?

John,

I reckon it's risky.
If you installed them in the same folder every time then the one that is left there is the latest version.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Hi Alan, and John,

there's no problem, just go ahead and uninstall them if Windows will let you. If you end up uninstalling a current version it is trivial to reinstall it again afterwards, no settings or files will be lost.

Note that the Windows Programs and Feature/Apps entry for WSJT-X are tiny records in the registry that note where the uninstall script is stored, they really do not use much space at all and have no impact on WSJT-X itself.

Andy TALBOT

Oh yes. so they are.
Hadn't noticed before.

They're not doing any harm

Richard K0RDG

Generally speaking, if there are leftover listings in the add/remove programs list, and you click on uninstall, Win10 will first try to uninstall the program listed in the registry, and...not finding that version...will tell you that the program you are trying to uninstall does not exist and ask if you want to remove it from the add/remove programs list.  This just cleans up the leftover registry entry.