locked #FT8 #FT8

Arthur Bernstein

Hello All,

I’ve been using FT8 fairly successfully for a while, but I’ve noticed something that I’m having trouble explaining.

To cut to the chase, I seem to be having trouble hearing the DX station when using the FOX/HOUND mode, while others locally, with comparable stations, seem to be able to hear them. This is mostly noted on 160 meters., for example, with the A25RU expeditioin, a couple of local guys worked him, and I never saw A25RU’s signal “print.” As a matter of fact I am able to copy the local stations sending the signal report, but not even copy the RRR or 73, from the local station, let alone the DX station, but they claim they have made complete contacts. This has happened before with other DX’Peditions, where, granted, the signal of the DX station may be weak. I routinely am able to decode stations at –24db.

I have no trouble working about anything I can hear on 160 and 80 meters, even at extreme distances, often under marginal conditions.

Was just wondering if I may have some parameters that need to be tweaked on either the rig (Elecraft K3) or in WSJTX v2.3.1 in Win 10 64 Bit?

The receiver’s bandwidth is set for its maximum in USB/Digital at 4 kHz and the audio range on the waterfall is set from 100 hz to about 3000 hz, though I cannot tune the program on the waterfall to receive to below 200 hz. The box “hear all signals” is checked.

Any suggestions with regard to the settings on the K3’s AGC (Fast, Slow or OFF?) Backing off on the RF Gain control, in addition, to improve signal/noise ratio? Those bands, in particular are VERY noisy. On 80/160 meters I’m using an Inverted L at least 50 ft. vertical.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

73, Art., N2KA..

Dave Garber

if they are using hound mode, they will never be sending any of the presets past tx3, so that is why you are not seeing their 73

as far as not seeing the fox, that can be just difference in antenna efficiency, beam being used by others, building in the way??    I am only using a vertical for most  ft8/ft4 so I do not hear a lot of a local ham less than a mile away hears..
Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE