Tried to upgrade WSJT-X to 2.4, now stuck trying to downgrade to previously working ver. 2.2.2 #AudioIssues #raspberryPi #txaudio

marksheffield@...

tl;dr:  Can't get a transmit tone out any more

I've gotten my setup into a state that I can't get working.  I'm running a R-pi to a TS-570D and using the rigctl daemon to key the rig (rigctld -m 2004 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 57600 -P GPION -p 17 &).  I've had good success with wsjtx-2.2.2 with FT8 and have been trying to get rigctl commands to run reliably during wspr band hopping tuneup. I jumped to the recent release and had no better success with band hopping so have tried to drop back, but since then I haven't been able to get 2.2.2 to run.  Or 2.3.  Or 2.4 rc builds.

I've built 2.2.2 from sources, have done that before more than once, np.  Now when I'm running (any version),

(Problem 1 -->) I can't get a tone through the back accessory connector  (<-- Problem 1)

for some reason.  I know that the path is there because a few minutes ago I mistakenly sent youtube audio out through my radio speaker when I had youtube running in the background on my pi (I had plugged in my earphones) and then a few minutes later I had the rig connected again, fired up wsjtx and touched "TUNE" - no tone, but I heard the youtube audio out my radio speaker.  That was a little gaff, but it showed me that the audio path from my pi to the rig was all intact.

Another odd behavior that has appeared (on all versions) since the problems started a few days ago is that

(Problem 2 -->)  the waterfall freezes when I start and end a tune cycle (or try to transmit anything at all)  (<-- Problem 2)

.  this freeze is indicative of wsjtx receive not working at all and after this happens wsjtx doesn't exit cleanly either, it leaves something running in memory that I have to pkill.  This is what that piece looks like:

 ps -al
F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
4 S  1000   737   645  0  80   0 -  2123 poll_s tty1     00:00:00 bash
0 S  1000  1162  1141  0  80   0 -  5176 poll_s pts/0    00:00:00 rigctld
0 S  1000  1163  1141 51  80   0 - 228625 futex_ pts/0   00:01:12 wsjtx
0 R  1000  1188  1141  0  80   0 -  2414 -      pts/0    00:00:00 ps

I want to start from ground 0 with a clean install, I'd like to get rid of any wsjtx remnants and artifacts and reinstall.  I've used synaptic to remove wsjtx and associated files that have been installed, I've deleted most of the files in the /.local/share/WSJTX directory but when I reinstall wsjtx somehow the settings have remained - the settings page has not changed at all - I obviously haven't removed all the remnants.  I've done this many times without really cleaning it all out.
What should I do to really erase anything that defines the state of wsjtx so I can really do a "new" install?  The next step will be to rebuild the pi, but I have that so tuned up for running my radio that I really hate to do that.  Thanks for any thoughts - Mark/K4LFL

Joel

Mark

Have you rescanned Hamlib to see if WSJTX installed a new version? At times the radio designation number is changed and your rig to daemon will need to be updated.

Joel

On Mar 28, 2021, at 4:10 PM, marksheffield@outlook.com wrote:

[...]

Bill Somerville

On 28/03/2021 20:50, marksheffield@outlook.com wrote:
[...]

Mark,

the settings file location is documented in the WSJT-X User Guide:

https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.3.1.html#_file_locations

marksheffield@...

Hi Joel, thanks for the reply, but yes,  I've gone back and forth with an older hamlib (using -m 204) and new hamlib (using -m 2004) and using the hamlib linked with wsjtx (wsjtx-rigctl and wsjtx-rigctld, which uses -m 2004) for all combinations of daemon and rigctl, none of these fixes the "no tone" issue.

marksheffield@...

HI Bill - thanks for your reply.  I deleted the .ini file, scrubbed everything else out and rebuilt 2.2.2 - came up right away.  FYI, there's another guy on the list who had (what seems to be) the same problem but wasn't able to make things right by deleting the .ini.  Thanks for your help - Mark/K4LFL