locked #FoxAndHound #FoxAndHound

Bob Chortek

There is a discussion on the SPE Group about hot switching the amp possibly caused when the Tax frequency is changed in WSJTX.

My specific questions is: In Hound mode, once the Hound Picks a Tx frequency, if the Fox answers will the Hound’s TX frequency shift?

Thanks es 73,

Bob AA6VB

Bill Somerville

On 23/03/2021 22:38, Bob Chortek wrote:
There is a discussion on the SPE Group about hot switching the amp possibly caused when the Tax frequency is changed in WSJTX.

My specific questions is: In Hound mode, once the Hound Picks a Tx frequency, if the Fox answers will the Hound’s TX frequency shift?

Thanks es 73,

Bob AA6VB
Bob,

if your equipment cannot handle Tx frequency changes while transmitting then don't check the "Settings->General->Allow Tx frequency changes while transmitting" option. That option is off by default.

Yes if the report from the Fox is decoded after the Hound has started their next call, then the Tx frequency may change by a kHz or two while transmitting.

N2TK, Tony

If your equipment can handle the change in frequency while transmitting, is there any advantage to checking that box?
73,
N2TK, Tony

On Mar 23, 2021, at 6:47 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

On 23/03/2021 22:38, Bob Chortek wrote:
There is a discussion on the SPE Group about hot switching the amp possibly caused when the Tax frequency is changed in WSJTX.

My specific questions is: In Hound mode, once the Hound Picks a Tx frequency, if the Fox answers will the Hound’s TX frequency shift?

Thanks es 73,

Bob AA6VB
Bob,

if your equipment cannot handle Tx frequency changes while transmitting then don't check the "Settings->General->Allow Tx frequency changes while transmitting" option. That option is off by default.

Yes if the report from the Fox is decoded after the Hound has started their next call, then the Tx frequency may change by a kHz or two while transmitting.

Hi Tony,

yes, several. If you double-click a decode that requires your Tx to shift then it cannot be processed until you return to Rx. If you are operating EME and using automatic Doppler tracking then tracking during Tx is not possible. If you wan to shift to a new Tx offset while you are transmitting you may not be able to do so.

I would recommend checking that setting option unless you have a rig that cannot process CAT QSY commands while transmitting, the Yaesu FT-8x7(D) series rigs being one notable example.

I find it surprising that a linear amplifier suffers a hot switching alarm simply from a small QSY while transmitting, what is going on that involves what I assume is leaving or re-entering SEND mode? That sounds like a defect in the amplifier's CAT frequency tracking algorithm.

On 24/03/2021 19:24, N2TK, Tony via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bill,
On most bands I run my K3 barefoot for FT8. Sometimes I turn on the KPA1500. I will check the box and see what happens. I don’t operate above 6M
73,
N2TK, Tony

On Mar 24, 2021, at 3:36 PM, Bill Somerville <g4wjs@...> wrote:

[...]

I haven’t had any problems with hot switching but some with SPE amps seem to have a problem, resulting in blown LDMOS.  I’m just trying to understand how it works.

Appreciate the reply.

73 es DX

Bob AA6VB

Robert Lorenzini

I had my TX and Tune power set the same so I could test power and control the output with the transmitter. I noticed that occasonaly I would find in the amp log that it hit 3 times the normal power for that drive. I dismissed this for some time because the bridge in the amp was not calibrated as well as it should be. After making recommended mods the bridge seemed to be working ok and got me wondering. One day I noticed the problem and that it was happening after a band change. I have an autotuner so I tune the ant first with the transmitter then double check with tune from WSJTX. I happened to be watching the LP100 when the power jumped way up until the tx audio delay of .2 sec timed out.  The next and subsequent tunes were fine. Change bands and it was back. I'm running VAC so I was wondering if there was audio backed up and was appearing under mysterious unknown conditions. Come another day and it's gone completely. I now set the tune power to a low value as a precaution.