moderated Easiest transceiver/computer combo to configure for FT8 #install

Tom Arny

I love FT8 and have tons of fun using it.  However, I find that every other week or so, something changes in my transceiver/computer combo so that I can't get FT8 to work.  The driver changes from load=yes to load=no; mysterious new ports appear; audiocodec disappears.  This seems especially likely to happen if I restart the computer.  All of these problems affect the CAT.  I often end up spending several days trying to figure out what went wrong.  Is there some robust transceiver/computer combo that will stay working once set up?  Alternatively, is there some hardware that I could install between the transceiver and the computer that would make diagnosing what is going wrong easier?  Thank you for any suggestions of how I might proceed.

john ni0k

Tom,

I feel your pain! Before you spend $$$, let's have you explain your setup. What radio? Are you using Windows? What version? Please be more specific than "I can't get it to work".

-de John NI0K in rural Debs, MN USA
https://www.qrz.com/db/NI0K

Tom Arny wrote on 3/23/2021 10:03 AM:

I love FT8 and have tons of fun using it.  However, I find that every other week or so, something changes in my transceiver/computer combo so that I can't get FT8 to work.  The driver changes from load=yes to load=no; mysterious new ports appear; audiocodec disappears.  This seems especially likely to happen if I restart the computer.  All of these problems affect the CAT.  I often end up spending several days trying to figure out what went wrong.  Is there some robust transceiver/computer combo that will stay working once set up?  Alternatively, is there some hardware that I could install between the transceiver and the computer that would make diagnosing what is going wrong easier?  Thank you for any suggestions of how I might proceed.

F8RZ

om,

I use win 10 on an I5 PC and a Flex 6300 transceiver, and I NEVER had any such trouble, even when Windows is updated. No audio problems (no sound card needed) and the CAT never stops working. Fire and forget...

73 JR

Le 23/03/2021 à 15:03, Tom Arny a écrit :

I love FT8 and have tons of fun using it.  However, I find that every other week or so, something changes in my transceiver/computer combo so that I can't get FT8 to work.  The driver changes from load=yes to load=no; mysterious new ports appear; audiocodec disappears.  This seems especially likely to happen if I restart the computer.  All of these problems affect the CAT.  I often end up spending several days trying to figure out what went wrong.  Is there some robust transceiver/computer combo that will stay working once set up?  Alternatively, is there some hardware that I could install between the transceiver and the computer that would make diagnosing what is going wrong easier?  Thank you for any suggestions of how I might proceed.

Ed W2LCQ

I have been using a Dell Latitude 7480 I5 machine  with 16GB RAM without any problems even after Windows upgrades. Nothing changes. Early on had RFI trouble which caused interruptions with radio but cured that with ferrites on all cables.

73, de W2LCQ, Ed Jones

”New York is where I am.” —- James Dean

On Mar 23, 2021, at 12:29 PM, F8RZ <f8rz@...> wrote:

[...]

John AA6ZT

I use the ICOM IC-7300 with LDG AT-100ProII Autootuner connected to an ACER E5-575G, a mid-range gaming laptop tweaked with dual SSDs & 32Gbs RAM. I use this for video editing as well.

It does JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, FT8, and other related integration seamlessly. There are the occasional hiccups with updates, but these are rare.

73s

John AA6ZT

N2OG Scott

Hi,

I too use a gaming laptop, best move I have made yet. Processing power to burn.

N2OG Scott

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:32 PM John AA6ZT <AA6ZT.JM@...> wrote:
I use the ICOM IC-7300 with LDG AT-100ProII Autootuner connected to an ACER E5-575G, a mid-range gaming laptop tweaked with dual SSDs & 32Gbs RAM. I use this for video editing as well.

It does JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, FT8, and other related integration seamlessly. There are the occasional hiccups with updates, but these are rare.

73s

John AA6ZT

Darin Crowley

Running Sager 17", 32GB, 2 1TB NVMe SSD and a third SSD, IC-7100.  Run HRD, JTalert, WSJT-x, Gridtracker, DX aggregator with SDRuno.  I have a powered USB attached with cooler, radio, sdr connected.
It all fits on shelf in RV. Pics on QRZ.

Connecting radio, configuring software didn't take long was pretty much straight forward. I did have to some different configuration to get gridtracker and dx aggregator to play nice. IT background certainly helped with that one.

Darin
KO4EJD

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021, 3:32 PM John AA6ZT <AA6ZT.JM@...> wrote:
I use the ICOM IC-7300 with LDG AT-100ProII Autootuner connected to an ACER E5-575G, a mid-range gaming laptop tweaked with dual SSDs & 32Gbs RAM. I use this for video editing as well.

It does JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, FT8, and other related integration seamlessly. There are the occasional hiccups with updates, but these are rare.

73s

John AA6ZT

Rob Kivell

I just have to tell you how happy I am with my IC - 7200 connected to my Dell Inspiron laptop. My 7200 is dedicated to digital work and I use a 7410 for SSB. This a true “plug and play” setup. I have made thousands of digital contacts over the last few years with not one issue with windows updates. I did have an issue with. RFI but. Shielded jumper cable and a powered USB hub took care of that Robust, probably not...dependable....100%

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021, 5:40 PM, N2OG Scott <dtb2greenville@...> wrote:

Hi,

I too use a gaming laptop, best move I have made yet. Processing power to burn.

N2OG Scott

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 6:32 PM John AA6ZT <AA6ZT.JM@...> wrote:
I use the ICOM IC-7300 with LDG AT-100ProII Autootuner connected to an ACER E5-575G, a mid-range gaming laptop tweaked with dual SSDs & 32Gbs RAM. I use this for video editing as well.

It does JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, FT8, and other related integration seamlessly. There are the occasional hiccups with updates, but these are rare.

73s

John AA6ZT

Jay Lijoi

Tom,

I had similar issues with windows 10. Spent more time on microsoft than amateur radio.

Bought an inexpensive Raspberry PI and dedicated it to Amateur Radio. It's been a good experience. If one desires, they can simply load HamPi and they're off to the rodeo.

Good luck,

Greg Beam, KI7MT

I just bought two of these (strictly for radio work), and have too say, I am impressed for 250 bucks - YMMV
M.2's and RAM non included

Gigabyte GB-BSRE-1605B

Quad Core / 8 thread CPU
4x HDMI
2x M.2 Slots
Up to 32GB of RAM
2x RS232 Headers
USB 3.1 Gen 2
2x GB RJ45
Intel Wi-Fi 802.11ac (antennas included)
Integrated Vega 8 Graphics
Support Bracket includedOS = Win-10, IoT, Linux

So far, they've done everything I've asked of them. No complaints.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Dick

Where did you buy them ? Their website is not very informative.

Tnx, Dick, W1KSZ

I just bought two of these (strictly for radio work), and have too say, I am impressed for 250 bucks - YMMV
M.2's and RAM non included

Gigabyte GB-BSRE-1605B

Quad Core / 8 thread CPU
4x HDMI
2x M.2 Slots
Up to 32GB of RAM
2x RS232 Headers
USB 3.1 Gen 2
2x GB RJ45
Intel Wi-Fi 802.11ac (antennas included)
Integrated Vega 8 Graphics
Support Bracket includedOS = Win-10, IoT, Linux

So far, they've done everything I've asked of them. No complaints.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Andrew O'Brien

I think the solution is easier than you think . It happens to me and I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting , but usually when I am not thinking strategically . Most of the issues you describe are Windows related . The thinks that usually go wrong are (in no later particular order) : Something else has grabbed the comm port you specified for WSJTX. Examine the assigned COMM ports via Device Manager . A other digital mode software application might not have closed . Check Task Manager for still active processes that might be hogging a comm port . Rare, but check WSTX settings to make sure your specified rig has not been lost . Check in WSJTX to make sure that your usual audio paths are still correct . Check to see that Windows has granted (still) access to your microphone . Check to make sure your radio is in the correct “mode” for operating digital . The aforementioned usually take about two minutes . Throw in an additional 2-3 minutes to reboot you computer to clear gremlins that might have developed . I have never had a problem that is not fixed by the aforementioned , sometimes the problem is not fixed because I forget the checklist . My Icom radios are less prone to these issues than my Flex radios . I have not had any problems in the past few months .

Andy K3UK

On Mar 23, 2021, at 11:19 AM, Tom Arny <tarny@wildblue.net> wrote:

I love FT8 and have tons of fun using it. However, I find that every other week or so, something changes in my transceiver/computer combo so that I can't get FT8 to work. The driver changes from load=yes to load=no; mysterious new ports appear; audiocodec disappears. This seems especially likely to happen if I restart the computer. All of these problems affect the CAT. I often end up spending several days trying to figure out what went wrong. Is there some robust transceiver/computer combo that will stay working once set up? Alternatively, is there some hardware that I could install between the transceiver and the computer that would make diagnosing what is going wrong easier? Thank you for any suggestions of how I might proceed.

Tom Arny

Hi Joghn,

Tom Arny

Hi John,

Ed W2LCQ

Hi Tom,

I forgot to mention I’m using an Icom 7300 a very easy rig to work with. CAT and AFSK is done over one USB cable. The 7300 has a built in sound card. It is very stable.  All I had to do was install the Icom driver into Windows which was a very easy download from Icom site. I use WSJT-X most of the time with DXLab Suite which does the logging. I also use it with N1MM+ for contests. Good luck.

73, de W2LCQ, Ed Jones

”New York is where I am.” —- James Dean

On Mar 26, 2021, at 6:38 PM, Tom Arny <tarny@...> wrote:

Hi John,