locked F/H #FoxAndHound


JOHN LIPSCOMB
 

Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.


F8RZ
 

Use "configurations"


Le 22/03/2021 à 14:39, JOHN LIPSCOMB via groups.io a écrit :

Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.



Martin G0HDB
 

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 02:48 PM, JOHN LIPSCOMB wrote:
Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.
Completely unnecessary (IMO) - it's already straightforward enough to switch between standard and F/H mode using separate configurations that also make it possible to have separate frequency 'banks' for the different operational modes.

--
Martin G0HDB


Bob Frostholm
 

Yes.... I would also like to see that

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
On 3/22/2021 7:39 AM, JOHN LIPSCOMB via groups.io wrote:

Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.



Bob Frostholm
 

Not settings;

Currently you need to do the following:

Click File:

Click Settings:

Click Advanced:

Click Special operating Activity:

Click Hound:

Click Okay:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
On 3/22/2021 9:03 AM, F8RZ via groups.io wrote:

Use "configurations"


Le 22/03/2021 à 14:39, JOHN LIPSCOMB via groups.io a écrit :
Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.




Martin G0HDB
 

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 05:15 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Not settings;

Currently you need to do the following:

Click File:

Click Settings:

Click Advanced:

Click Special operating Activity:

Click Hound:

Click Okay:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.

Currently you don't need to do all that; using Configurations you can:

Click Configurations (on the main menu)

Highlight the configuration you've previously created - let's call it 'FT8 Hound' - and click on 'Switch to'

And that's it - WSJT-X will close and then restart, within a second or two, using all the dedicated settings for the Hound configuration.  What could be simpler than that...?

--
Martin G0HDB


neil_zampella <neilz@...>
 

FWIW .. there was one available at one time, but because users kept toggling into F/H mode accidentally, it was moved to the settings to keep that from happening along with the contest modes.

It is strongly suggested that users create a CONFIGURATION with F/H mode so you can switch to that from the configuration menu with one click and all your settings are already there.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/22/2021 9:39 AM, JOHN LIPSCOMB via groups.io wrote:

Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.



neil_zampella <neilz@...>
 

WIth configurations, you mouse over Configurations, down to Fox-Hound, done.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/22/2021 12:14 PM, Bob Frostholm wrote:

Not settings;

Currently you need to do the following:

Click File:

Click Settings:

Click Advanced:

Click Special operating Activity:

Click Hound:

Click Okay:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.

73

Bob

Ko6Lu
On 3/22/2021 9:03 AM, F8RZ via groups.io wrote:

Use "configurations"


Le 22/03/2021 à 14:39, JOHN LIPSCOMB via groups.io a écrit :
Consider adding a button on the home page to toggle F/H mode please.





Gary - AG0N
 

On Mar 22, 2021, at 11:14, Bob Frostholm <bob@...> wrote:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.
For one thing, that would lead to more abuse of the F/H mode because people would be even less likely to be sure they were NOT operating on normal FT8 frequencies. At least by using a different configuration, there’s good opportunity to make the configuration so it would use a different bunch of frequencies. Whenever there is an even that calls for F/H mode, you find out what frequency they are going to use for the event and put it in the frequency list for that config.

F/H is not to be used on the normal FT8 mode segments. It causes too much confusion from operators not knowing what it is and how to properly use it. Please don’t encourage those who abuse it by working them.

73, Gary - AG0N


neil_zampella <neilz@...>
 

AFAIK .... WSJT-X DXpedition modes are specifically set to lock out the normal 'watering hole' frequencies so it CAN'T be used there.    However, a third-party programmer who uses code from WSJT-X in his program, has resisted repeated requests to do the same, so you get what looks like F/H in the middle of standard frequencies.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/22/2021 9:53 PM, Gary - AG0N wrote:


On Mar 22, 2021, at 11:14, Bob Frostholm <bob@...> wrote:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.
For one thing, that would lead to more abuse of the F/H mode because people would be even less likely to be sure they were NOT operating on normal FT8 frequencies.  At least by using a different configuration, there’s good opportunity to make the configuration so it would use a different bunch of frequencies.  Whenever there is an even that calls for F/H mode, you find out what frequency they are going to use for the event and put it in the frequency list for that config.

F/H is not to be used on the normal FT8 mode segments.  It causes too much confusion from operators not knowing what it is and how to properly use it.  Please don’t encourage those who abuse it by working them.

73, Gary - AG0N






Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

AFAIK .... WSJT-X DXpedition modes are specifically set to lock out the normal 'watering hole' frequencies so it CAN'T be used there. However, a third-party programmer who uses code from WSJT-X in his program, has resisted repeated requests to do the same, so you get what looks like F/H in the middle of standard frequencies.

+ People occasionally ask me why DXLab is not "open source"; this is one example of why not.

+ 95% of open source developers are responsible and respectful. The other 5% ruin it for everyone else.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Jim Brown
 

On 3/23/2021 12:20 AM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ People occasionally ask me why DXLab is not "open source"; this is one example of why not.
+ 95% of open source developers are responsible and respectful. The other 5% ruin it for everyone else.
Bravo to you Dave, both for your great contribution to our hobby (which I was lucky to discover and adopt when getting back on the air in 2003), and to your judgement call on issues like this. I take pride in doing my part to "give back," but guys like you and the WSJT team have done it in spades! The ham community can't thank all of you enough.

73, Jim K9YC


Jim Shorney
 

To be fair, you don't need special software to get around the lockouts. Anyone could do it with a little thought.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:52:29 -0500
"neil_zampella" <neilz@...> wrote:

AFAIK .... WSJT-X DXpedition modes are specifically set to lock out the
normal 'watering hole' frequencies so it CAN'T be used there.   
However, a third-party programmer who uses code from WSJT-X in his
program, has resisted repeated requests to do the same, so you get what
looks like F/H in the middle of standard frequencies.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/22/2021 9:53 PM, Gary - AG0N wrote:

On Mar 22, 2021, at 11:14, Bob Frostholm <bob@...> wrote:

A single button on the home page would be much more convenient.
For one thing, that would lead to more abuse of the F/H mode because people would be even less likely to be sure they were NOT operating on normal FT8 frequencies. At least by using a different configuration, there’s good opportunity to make the configuration so it would use a different bunch of frequencies. Whenever there is an even that calls for F/H mode, you find out what frequency they are going to use for the event and put it in the frequency list for that config.

F/H is not to be used on the normal FT8 mode segments. It causes too much confusion from operators not knowing what it is and how to properly use it. Please don’t encourage those who abuse it by working them.

73, Gary - AG0N