moderated #AudioIssues #AudioIssues

Alan G4ZFQ

The 10 October 2020 Windows 10 update caused a problem with my on-board Realtek. The speaker output at the back of the PC stopped working. The facility to select the output had gone. The front socket did work but was very inconvenient as it is difficult to stop the cable obstructing the DVD drive. I rolled back but eventually  had to take the update with the same result.
 I tried Windows update,  Dell and Realtek, found no compatible driver, tried a few and ended up with no output.
Looking again today I found certified drivers for Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2).release date  17 Mar 2021.
After 5 months the on-board sound now works properly again.
Something similar may possibly happen to others.
While this did not actually affect my WSJT-X usage I'm wondering how long it will be before an update affects a more vital part of a computer.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

KT7AZ

I had something similar happen around that time frame as well.  After the PC screensaver would come on I found that after awakening, WSJT-X would key the radio but no sound would leave the PC.  Just recently I discovered that Microsoft had switched the sound card (the Icom in my case) back to Power Saver Mode.  Microsoft also switched all my USB connections back to Power Save as well.  Apparently it is hard to wake them up.

The remedy is to go to control panel, device manager and tunnel down to your sound cards and USB devices.  Tunnel down once again in properties for each device and uncheck this invasive power Save Greeny mode.

Gary
--
KT7AZ

PE0FK Frank

Dear Group,

I have an issue with selecting the required audio device.

I have an Kenwood TS990 and an Icom IC-9100 connected by USB to my computer. (Running the latest update of Windows 10)

In the sound settings I am able to select all the devices and if necessary set them as default. The audio works.

However, in the settings of WSJTX 2.3.0 I can only see and select the device which set as windows default. The other devices don’t show up in the list.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards and 73,

PE0FK (Frank)

PE0FK Frank

Dear Group,

For people who have the same issue, I disabled the: 'Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device' in the Device Manager (it belongs to an old analog modem still installed in my PC)
This solved the problem.

Kind regards and 73,
PE0FK (Frank)

Phil Davidson