moderated Rigblaster Blue doesn't modulate/CW/RTTY/WSJT-X my Kenwood TS-2000X #WSJTX_config #AudioIssues #bluetooth

WU9D <mike@...>

Try as I might I cannot get my new Rigblaster Blue to transmit tones or CW on my Kenwood TS-2000X. I have configured the connections between the two devices as directed by West Mountain Radio including using the RS-232 CAT connections. Everything works but when I go to transmit the rig keys but no tones are transmitted. The same is true of my HRD setup.

Any help or ideas?

Karl Beckman WA8NVW - AFA5VB

First comment is strictly for WSJT-X:
Make sure your RigBlaster Blue is supplying a ground to the Packet/Data Send (PKS) line, which is Pin #9 of the 13 pin DIN connector labeled ACC2.  Grounding Pin #9 of ACC2 puts the radio in transmit and muites the front panel microphone audio.
DO NOT USE the footswitch input line (
SS) on Pin #13!  Grounding any other PTT pin or keying through CAT mutes the Tx audio input (PKD) on Pin #11 of ACC2
Pages 94 ands 95 of your TS-2000X user manual are helpful.

Second comment is just for RTTY FSK operation:
Frequency Shift Keying is NOT audio, just a digital low signal that shifts the transmit frequency slightly.  For hams the shift is usually 170 or 850 Hz; commercial also uses 425 Hz.  The FSK RTTY input line is pin #2 of the ACC2 connector.
Refer to page 51 of your TS-2000X user manual.

Last comment pertains just to CW operation:
CW keying with a straight key or 'bug' uses a cable plugged into the 1/8" 2 conductor key jack.  You can also connect a paddle to the internal keyer via the 1/4" 3 conductor jack on the rear panel labeled "PADDLE."  That's typically used for contesting.  Pages 3 and 42-44 of your TS-2000X user manual contain additional information.

--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

WU9D <mike@...>

I’m not using the ACC port.

On Mar 13, 2021, at 1:50 PM, Karl Beckman via groups.io <wa8nvw@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Roden

Rigblaster does all TX functions through the front panel mike connector.  No ACC.

Don W4DNR

On 2021-03-13 13:29, Karl Beckman wrote:

[...]

Yes. I can hear FT8 tones being generated but the rig isn’t modulated.

On 2021-03-13 13:29, Karl Beckman wrote:

[...]

You said you are hearing the WSJT transmit tones, but you didn't indicate from what device.  Coming out of the rig speaker? GOOD! That indicates the TxMon feature of your TS2000 is turned on.  Heard in the computer speaker? BAD! That means either you have routed WSJT audio 'playback' output to the wrong output device, or a Microsoft update has done it for you.

MOST* computers will not duplicate bluetooth RF audio to the (wired) speaker and headset jack, because the inherent delays within the BT encode/decode process create an intolerable echo effect which will quickly drive most listeners up the wall.  If your computer speaker is live, there's probably no audio being sent to te BT.  If there is BT audio, it likely includes WSJT Tx tones plus the Windows Alert sounds, beeps, chirps, and music you select in your System Sounds menu, all going to the default playback device.
* But it seems there's always one supplier (or more) who does things differently.  Note the Rigblaster Blue catalog sheet says it will work with MOST transceivers and computers (but not all, as you are experiencing so far).

--
Karl  WA8NVW  OH
WA8NVW@...

WU9D <mike@...>

I can hear the tones in the PC speaker, yes. That’s how I know they are being generated. And even when not using to PC speaker but using the TXMon I get no tones. Tones generated, yes; radio received, no. Like I said, I have tried all of this which is why I posted. I also have tried the hardware on my PC and my notebook. Different PCs, same behavior. I think I have a bad unit so I have decided to return the unit for a refund. I’m disgusted with WMR’s poor technical support documentation and technician who I have been in contact with. He wants me to use the proper CAT commands (really, I don’t program that) and flip a switch on the unit that doesn’t exist.

Anyway, I think I have a defective Rigblaster Bluetooth and I am not satisfied with the performance at all. So I have given up and boxed everything up for a return authorization.

Mike WU9D.

On 2021-03-14 16:58, WU9D wrote:

[...]

Bruce,

There is a jack on the back of your Rigblaster that you can plug a headset into.    You *HAVE* to hear audio here.... not through your computer speakers.   Rigblaster made it easy to confirm that you have the audio path correct.  Just plug a headphone or amplified speaker into that back panel jack on the Rigblaster.

Don W4DNR

[...]

Are you selecting the USB Audio CODEC in WSJT-X on the Audio tab?
Both dropdowns should be pointing to these TX/RX audio sources.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 6:22 PM Michael Rohwedder <mike@...> wrote:
[...]

No. It isn’t. And I am not an idiot.

On 2021-03-14 16:58, WU9D wrote:

[...]

I tried that. No audio. Nothing. I checked all these things. Including the USB CODEC. And I no longer want the unit. It’s going back. I even tried wiring the jumpers inside as in the diagram supplied. Same result. The PC generates the tones, not the Rigblaster. It is simply not sending the audio to the microphone jack.

Please, no more posting as it is not constructive at this point. Don has the right idea in checking the audio at the Rigblaster. Surprise, no audio. The unit is defective.

By process of elimination I have tried all iterations and possible configurations. Some don’t function at all, naturally. But no matter what I do there isn’t audio from the PC to the rig.

Mike WU9D

[...]

Try the Signalink USB.  I use that with my TS;2000.  It uses the ACC Jack on the back of the TS-2000 and routes audio correctly.  I think you will like it.

Don W4DNR

[...]

neil_zampella

Why pay $100 or more for an interface when all you need is a good USB external soundcard, and the proper interface cable.  You can do this for under $80.     USB Soundcard dongle from Amazon, $20 or less.    Cable from XGGCOMMS at $66.00, you have a setup that will properly run audio and CAT in one cable.   Look for the Digimode-1-Kenwood cable:

http://xggcomms.com/Kenwood-Interface-Shop(2066630).html

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 3/15/2021 8:41 AM, Don Roden wrote:

[...]

Robert Lorenzini

Especially when that interface is less capable than an onboard sound card and vox.
Google lists the problems.

Bob - wd6dod

On 3/15/2021 7:48 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

[...]

Don,  As I explained that I made an interface cable that connects directly
to the ACCY jack instead of the mic jack.  This then made it possible to regain
the use of the mic jack.  In a TS2K(X) setup there are four links of the TX
audio chain, the Pwr slider in WSJT-X, the Sound Speakers slider, the TX
audio pot on the Blaster and the level input setting in the TS2K(X) (menu 50B)
when using the Rigblaster.  A setting of 0 on menu 50B means no TX audio
at this point.  If the TX audio pot on the Blaster is fully CCW then no TX audio.
At this point I do not know which would be better for this guy, the Blaster setup
or something like a IC7300 with built-in CAT and audio CODEC.
I can get him up and running on both setups.  I have a black and white tutorial
for getting WSJT-X to a IC7300 up and running in short order time.
The reason for the adapter cable is that the mic gain setting could not be touched
because it was one link in the WSJT-X TX audio chain.
I use Icoms now for the reason of only needing one cable.
I never tried the headphone jack on the Blaster, I used the TX MONI at the TS2K.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 10:30 PM Don Roden <donroden@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis Jacobson

Hey Don... I too have been using using the Rigblaster with audio problems.. I got a Signalink USB and plan to use that with my TS-2K.. would you send me a few screen shots of the options you use for WSJT-X so I don't have to hunt and peck when I put this in.. Also I understand that the only cabling that I need is the usb from the computer to the Signalink and the cable from the signalink to the TS 2k  and then a com port cable from the computer to the TS-2k... Is that correct or am I missing something.
Thanks Don
Dennis N6NG