moderated #JT65 #JT65

David Ackrill

I know this is a false decode, I was on 144.428.50 looking for the GB3VHF beacon.  Then I got the following decode

"1053 -16 3.4 1514 ## G0DJA DL6YBF JO31 OOO d2"

I know it's a false decode, but the callsign for the German station is real and, if I were on an EME frequency trying for EME contacts, it might look real...

Dave (G0DJA)

Charles Suckling

Hi Dave

There are a couple of clues that this is a false decode.

1.  The DT value is quite high, even for EME time delay.

2. It was a deep search decode with confidence value 2 (very low).

The DX callsign is almost certainly in your call3 database, hence it gives the impression that it could be a valid station.

Such false decodes do appear from time to time with modes that use the 'deep search' algorithm (eg JT65 and JT4).  You have the option to deselect that, at the expense of some decoding sensitivity.

End of line characters (such as your d2) are explained here:

73

Charlie G3WDG

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 13:17, David Ackrill <david.ackrill@...> wrote:

I know this is a false decode, I was on 144.428.50 looking for the GB3VHF beacon.  Then I got the following decode

"1053 -16 3.4 1514 ## G0DJA DL6YBF JO31 OOO d2"

I know it's a false decode, but the callsign for the German station is real and, if I were on an EME frequency trying for EME contacts, it might look real...

Dave (G0DJA)

Charles Suckling

Hi Dave

You might want to look at your Advanced Settings window and look at the JT65 settings, which have an effect on decoding time, sensitivity and display of low confidence decodes: